Quick question regarding healing ability points. . .

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Blustar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Quick question regarding healing ability points. . .

Post by Blustar »

When the rule book states you heal one point per good night's rest, does it mean 1 point off of each ability or just one point in total?

So if the Wizard has Strength, Personality, and Agility depleted by 3 point each , does he gain a point back in each catagory or does he have to pick only one ability to heal?

thanks
Colin

Re: Quick question regarding healing ability points. . .

Post by Colin »

Blustar wrote:When the rule book states you heal one point per good night's rest, does it mean 1 point off of each ability or just one point in total?

So if the Wizard has Strength, Personality, and Agility depleted by 3 point each , does he gain a point back in each catagory or does he have to pick only one ability to heal?

thanks
Just one point total IIRC, so said wizbang would take 9 nights to heal back fully. Spellburn is nothing to sniff at; it's supposed to be a terrible sacrifice.

Colin
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

Colin wrote:
Blustar wrote:When the rule book states you heal one point per good night's rest, does it mean 1 point off of each ability or just one point in total?

thanks
Just one point total IIRC, so said wizbang would take 9 nights to heal back fully. Spellburn is nothing to sniff at; it's supposed to be a terrible sacrifice.

Colin
I was just wondering this myself. So I guess the player would get to choose which damaged Ability score to heal?
bill4935
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bill4935 »

phg wrote: I was just wondering this myself. So I guess the player would get to choose which damaged Ability score to heal?
I would say that would be true in a game that wanted to be fair and balanced to the players, a game that let players feel like it was possible to succeed and triumph over Chaos.

But this is old school! Players are beset by danger and a cruel malicious universe at every turn! The DM chooses how well you heal. If an owl keeps your wizard up all night with incessant hooting, then no Personality point for you!

I think one of the joys of DCC is that players are never coddled or given an advantage they didn't strive to achieve. That way every victory in such an uncaring universe feels all the sweeter. But I would let that player have a second, non-wizard character that he could play while the mage is convalescing. A Warrior probably, to see how the party likes another fighter in the mix instead of a spellslinger. :)
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

It doesn't explicitly state this in the rulebook, but I'm assuming spellburn also lowers ability modifiers.
Meaning, if a wizard with 13 Strength and +1 modifier burns 7 points of Strength to cast a spell and his Strength is down to 6 then the modifier is also -2 now. Right?
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
Colin

Post by Colin »

nerdwerds wrote:Meaning, if a wizard with 13 Strength and +1 modifier burns 7 points of Strength to cast a spell and his Strength is down to 6 then the modifier is also -2 now. Right?
Yes. Severe spellburning wouldn't be much of a sacrifice else.

Colin
d(sqrt(-1))
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by d(sqrt(-1)) »

BTW, re Spellburn, some spells require it (I think one of the Patron Spells requires 10 points?). I assume this doesn't add to your casting result, it's just a pre-requisite, like spellburning to cast a lost spell?

You could, of course, add extra spellburn points if you wished to boost your chances.

Return to “Rules discussion”