Appendix N healing. Or how to get better without a Cleric

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Appendix N healing. Or how to get better without a Cleric

Post by themightyeroc »

So I was thinking about how to do healing in a more App. N Fashion. Then I remembered something from a Swords & Wizardry supplement by Doug Easterly "Savage Swords of Athanor". I think I found my solution! A little tinkering and......

Binding Wounds
Immediately after combat, a PC can bind his or another's wounds. This takes 10min. If the binding is interrupted, only a D3 is healed. Otherwise the victim heals 1 HD in damage. This only heals points lost in during this particular battle and does not heal conditions (poison, broken bones, etc.). If a Character with the occupation of Healer is doing the binding or aiding another the HD healed is stepped up one Die on the chain.

Fortifying Spirits
Once per day, an injured Character may down a flagon ale, wine, or stronger spirits to fortify himself for battle. This will heal a single HD+level of the imbiber. (conditions are not affected)

Complete Rest
A full night's rest restores the Characters level in HD. So a third level Warrior rolls 3D12, etc. The character cannot participate in taking watches or any such activity, and upon awakening could find himself at the mercy of his enemies should a situation warrant such a thing.

This came about because my Players were asking about healing if there were no Cleric's around. It got me thinking about how Conan and such "healed" in the stories.
I don't think they are too powerful, and seem like they would work well if you wanted to not have Cleric's relegated to Medics as they so often tend to in RPG's.
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Appendix N healing. Or how to get better without a Cleri

Post by cjoepar »

I have adopted a system where the characters heal 2x their level + Stamina bonus for a good night's rest. They only get this the first night they rest, after the first night it is just 1 hp per night. And they cannot heal more than 1 hp over the damage they took that day. I use this in my 3E games as well.

My reasoning is that the lost hit points a character suffers not only represent the physical damage a character takes, but also the exhaustion and mental fatigue.

There is no appendix N precedent for this, I just adopted this system because I have found that when parties get beat down they tend to want to hole up somewhere for a few days and this just gets the story moving along quicker.

Another appendix N idea is to let the players acquire some healing herbs. A character in my DCC game just asked about this after the last session (almost a TPK) and I told him the local apothecarist knows where some herbs with healing properties grow, but they are in a dangerous forest a day's march from town...
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

What is wrong with clerics? I seen a few cleric hate threads and was curious why. I and a few of my players really enjoy the cleric class and the flavor it brings to the game. Why not get rid of thieves and make it so everyone can do thief skills...just saying.

To me a cleric is a must. And is truly part of old school gaming as other classes.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

MrHemlocks wrote:What is wrong with clerics? I seen a few cleric hate threads and was curious why. I and a few of my players really enjoy the cleric class and the flavor it brings to the game. Why not get rid of thieves and make it so everyone can do thief skills...just saying.

To me a cleric is a must. And is truly part of old school gaming as other classes.
I couldn't agree more. Clerics are as good as any other class and a core part of the game.

I instituted the higher healing rate for resting because I had a 3E campaign with 11 players and only one cleric. The cleric player was considering playing something else because he figured all he would end up doing is casting healing spells. I didn't want to add in a cleric NPC, so I tried this system out and it worked well, so I have carried it over into DCC as well - sometimes there just isn't anyone in the party with the ability to play an effective cleric. The whole driver for me is avoiding those situations where the party gets all banged up and wants to try to rest up for a whole day mid-adventure to heal up. To me that breaks up the flow of the adventure too much.
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

cjoepar wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:What is wrong with clerics? I seen a few cleric hate threads and was curious why. I and a few of my players really enjoy the cleric class and the flavor it brings to the game. Why not get rid of thieves and make it so everyone can do thief skills...just saying.

I couldn't agree more. Clerics are as good as any other class and a core part of the game.

I instituted the higher healing rate for resting because I had a 3E campaign with 11 players and only one cleric. The cleric player was considering playing something else because he figured all he would end up doing is casting healing spells. I didn't want to add in a cleric NPC, so I tried this system out and it worked well, so I have carried it over into DCC as well - sometimes there just isn't anyone in the party with the ability to play an effective cleric. The whole driver for me is avoiding those situations where the party gets all banged up and wants to try to rest up for a whole day mid-adventure to heal up. To me that breaks up the flow of the adventure too much.
MrHemlocks and Cjoepar,

No HATE for Clerics here. I love that Class myself. This arose because of the 3 Clerics we started with we are down to 1. A Chaotic one at that. And the Players asked what happens if there aren't any Cleric's in the party. I thought about that, and because of the way I run my game and world I thought these might be neat alternatives to use should the need arise. I also wanted to have a bit more robust general healing in my game. We move things along pretty fast.

I tried to make sure they aren't better than having a Cleric around. I was just more or less looking for what you guys thought of them in use and feel. :D
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"'Tis but a scratch. I've had worse"

Once per day per level, a character may heal 1 Hit Die of damage. This is not true healing, but indicates that the original would is not as bad as it first appeared. This cannot remove ability damage, poisoning, or any other "special effects" of a wound, although if used to prevent the character from dropping to 0 hit points, the character is always alive at the end of a period of unconsciousness. This period is usually 1d6 rounds, but on a roll of "6" it is 1d6 minutes, on another "6" it is 1d6 x 10 minutes, then 1d6 hours, and 1d6 days. On another "6" the character enters a coma for 1d6 weeks, months, years, or decades, depending upon how many natural "6"s are rolled.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I allow my players to burn stamina to heal HD.

One HD per point burned.

During combat, burning stamina is permanent and takes an action. During downtime, it takes one turn, uninterrupted and it's only temporary and can be healed through rest or magic.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

You really do not differentiate clerics from other classes? Of course you do. You kidder you! :)

Clerics significantly increase the healing capacity of a party. Removing a cleric changes the entire approach to the game, it's dynamic, due to the hit point system the game uses. If the party is severely injured during battle, it needs to spend days recuperating, and cannot consider engaging in another battle before that rest is obtained. Whereas removing a thief, a warrior or a wizard will of course have consequences, but it won't change the game's dynamic as much, i.e. you won't need to spend days doing nothing but resting because you didn't have a thief.

But you knew all that already and you're just pulling our leg ;)

By the way, there is at least one thread in this forum on how to play without a thief in the party.

This being said, I don't dislike clerics or the healing mechanic. I'm just pointing out how clerics differ from others and how a game is likely to be transformed by the absence of one in a party, unless there are other healing mechanics offered to the players.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

reverenddak wrote:I allow my players to burn stamina to heal HD.

One HD per point burned.

During combat, burning stamina is permanent and takes an action. During downtime, it takes one turn, uninterrupted and it's only temporary and can be healed through rest or magic.
TATG does something similar to this, albeit a bit differently. No permanent Stamina burn.
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

To throw another thought out there for everyone. I would only play this if there were no clerics in the party, because if there was a Cleric it would make their healing too powerful.

Divide all incoming damage in half and assign it to two columns. The two columns would be temporary damage, the second column will be permanent damage.

Every hour of rest, you could heal a certain amount of the temporary pool of damage.

Nightly rest heals HP from the permanent pool of HP.
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

I've considered (enough to write it up, but not implement) this madness, which is cribbed somewhat from C&T:

Damage, Death and Healing
As per the core rules, damage is dealt to a character’s hit points. HP now represent the non-physical sorts of esoteric things that keep characters from dying -- luck, will, confidence...whatever. Once a character’s hit points are exhausted, the character starts taking Stamina damage for every successful hit. Loss of Stamina represents actual physical damage to the character resulting in actual wounds -- bruises, contusions, cuts, scrapes, etc.

A loss of ½ Stamina imparts a -2 to all rolls for that character, in addition to any penalties that result from low Stamina for Fortitude saves. This includes attacks, damage, skill checks, spell checks...everything that a character would roll a dice to resolve. You are literally battered and bleeding...physically injured. “Hit locations” are going to be played by ear. There’s no hard and fast rule here. But, Stamina loss below half will result in further debilitation (broken limbs, cracked ribs, concussions, etc.)

When a character falls below 3 Stamina, that character falls unconscious and loses 1 Stamina every 2 rounds until reaching 0.

When a character reaches 0 Stamina, that character is dead. Inexorably. Un-recoverably. Dead. Forever.

If a character has not taken Stamina damage, that character’s hit points recover at a rate of 1+Level+Stamina bonus per hour of rest (basic inactivity). If the character has taken Stamina damage, hit points do not recover until Stamina has been healed.

A character naturally heals 1 Stamina point per 8 hours of complete bedrest. This must be in a secure place (even a moderately cozy cave will do), and the character must have adequate food and water. A character can only naturally heal 2 Stamina points per day in this way.

Magical Healing: A character with the ability to magically heal can only heal hit points if Stamina damage has been first healed. Any magical healing success of Stamina damage results in 1 dice of healing (the hit dice of the character healed). Hit points are healed at the regular Spell Check result.

Mundane Healing: Any character can attempt to use bandages, poultices, etc. to heal either hit points or Stamina damage (though Stamina must be healed first). Characters that would be naturally trained in this art (Shamans, herbalists, etc) roll a d20, modified by the character’s Intelligence bonus (DC 15) -- all others roll a d10. On a success, the character is healed 1 Stamina point or 1+Healer Level hit points. Mundane healing can only be attempted once per day per “patient.”
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “Rules discussion”