Penalty to Wizard for ditching patron?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Penalty to Wizard for ditching patron?

Post by MrHemlocks »

Is there a penalty to a wizard that ditches his patron in favor of a new one? I am sure there must be 'something' bad, but not able to find any information about it in the book.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Penalty to Wizard for ditching patron?

Post by IronWolf »

I play it out in game. Though the wizard in my group only flirted with the idea of changing patrons. But if he chose to, I would certainly let it happen. Just the original patron has already been proved very jealous and quite knowledgeable. So that patron will certainly interfere with in-game elements. Disruptions to the wizard's plans, conspiracies, etc.

I've had a cleric switch deities. I allowed that to happen and there wasn't even a mechanical disadvantage in doing so. However, there is a growing plot of the previous deity to punish the cleric. It is slowly coming to fruition.

So I use swaps as excellent plot points for the campaign and less for large mechanical penalties.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

What he said.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I did it like this.

The Patron is a powerful magic entity with many minions and agents(much like the pc was) and much like a crime boss the only way out of a contract is in a pine box. Now I didn't have the Patron himself come calling,that would be too heavy handed and frankly not worth the time and effort for the Patron.

Instead I had the Patron send a demon to plague the dreams of the Wizard in question. It took twice the amount of rest to recover spells and even heal ect..
Along with that several other agents were dispatched to take care of the wizard. One was several levels below the wizards level and so instead of directly assaulting the wizard she set about poisoning the wizards relationship with his community. Made up stories about the wizards unwholesome habits,at least twice killed off petty harmless enemies of the wizard and made it look like it was done with black magic.

The other agent sent was far more powerful than the Wizard(6th while the wizard was 3rd). He was a member of a a mercenary band and had even more backup than the PC. He waited outside a dungeon after the wizard and his friends had entered and simply waylaid them when bloody and exhausted they retreated from the dungeon. He took all of there treasure and even there most prized possessions,after beating them into a bloody pulp. Then he gave a big badguy speech about how he simply loved how not only did he get the treasure AND a great reward from his Patron but how he was going to do it again and again.

This had the makings to be truly great epic badguy but sadly the next adventure the entire party died due to a bad idea to bypass a trap and it never grew into fruition.

The players REALLY REALLY HATE that npc and even the Patron now so next time they get up to the mid levels I can spring them back in with some other pretext.

Never pass up a opportunity to bring consequences and adventure to your pc's doorstep especially when they set it in motion!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Also, what he said.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Also, what he said.
You're becoming lazy on replies, I find.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

Return to “Rules discussion”