How much luck do you throw around?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fym66
Wild-Eyed Zealot

How much luck do you throw around?

Post by fym66 »

As a GM, how much luck to do you throw around? Lucks the one resource the players really get to control in a metagame sense. How much of it do you give your players? Do you throw it around like candy or do you horde it like gold?
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: How much luck do you throw around?

Post by NJPDX »

I'm kind of stingy I guess? I've always tied it to finishing "big things" or taking great risks. If I had to put an average on it, players regen 1 point of luck every 2-3 levels.
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

I find that players rely on Thieves and Halflings for all things Luck in the game. As a judge I regard the LUCK score much like fate, (i.e. fate points in wfrp), so I would only award a Luck bonus for really significant parts of player progression and portrayal. See http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 75&t=46372 for some more information on awarding luck.
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
fodderator
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by fodderator »

Stingy but thinking about loosening up some just to see how it goes.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

1-2 points per surviving PC at the end of the adventure...unless something in game dictates giving some out (boon from a god, magic, etc.)
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I let them reset their luck when they would level up. They end up with more at low levels and then it slows way down at 4th and after. Before I house ruled this players were dying without ever spending any luck. They were always hoarding it for some emergency and then never pulling the trigger. The Thief and Halfling characters on the other hand were always expected to do all the luck burn. This started to create some party tension at the table when I would ask for a luck check. Handing out more luck at level change seemed to loosen the other classes up and more luck was being burned.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

Return to “Rules discussion”