A question on 20-point spellburn and its effects

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Tokage
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: I have none.

A question on 20-point spellburn and its effects

Post by Tokage »

If my wizard sacrifices 20 full points to spellburn in order to get a natural 20 on the spellcasting roll, does he also get to add those 20 points on top of that? Because that'd basically guarantee the maximum result on the roll, so it sounds pretty powerful. On the other hand, if he doesn't get that 20 points, then I could reject the natural-20 option and roll instead, to get another roll's worth of points on top of that - with the slight possibility of rolling a natural 1 and wasting it all.

So basically, depending on how I am interpreting the rules, this particular option would seem either pretty overpowered or almost pointless. Which one is it?

Bonus question: assuming the latter is right, and it'd be better to take that 20 points and roll on top of it, getting a natural 1 would according to the book simply make the spell fail as usual... but that's boring. How would you make the natural-1 on such a casting attempt something more interesting and spectacular to see (from a safe distance)?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: A question on 20-point spellburn and its effects

Post by GnomeBoy »

Go with the overpowered, with a caveat.

If your games have obvious "Big Bosses" at The End, and that's what the Wizard is waiting for to do that 'Burn, well, that's kind of gaming the system. In that case make it riskier by, yes, making that fumble something cataclysmic for that character.

But if your games flow from one event to another, with no clear/obvious 'end', then let it be spectacular with no added risk. Because after 'Burning that many points, the Wizard is going to be a damp rag that the rest of the party has to tote around, and dealing with the risk inherent in that may well be enough.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I would say that the first time he does this give him the Big Bang effect. If it becomes the go to move to kill every strong monster then make life after the bang hell for the wizard.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Also, read "Magic Here and Magic There" in the core rulebook. That big bang might have a big knock-on effect.

If you have access to my own Silent Nightfall, read the Shaft Crawler entry, and chuckle evilly to yourself.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Rules discussion”