Thrown weapons & Strength modifiers

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Thrown weapons & Strength modifiers

Post by BanjoJohn »

So, the double asterisk on range brackets for thrown weapons says strength modifier applies to damage on the closest ranged bracket only. What if there is a negative modifier for strength? Would this technically mean ranged attacks deal more damage at a middle and long distance with thrown weapons because of the negative strength not applying? Or is there something about a negative modifier to damage based on range I am missing?

Also, could a halfling throw two weapons using the two weapon fighting rule for the class?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Thrown weapons & Strength modifiers

Post by GnomeBoy »

Technically, yes, it applies. Low Strength? You do less damage in things where Strength matters...

Hmm. Why not let Halflings throw two daggers (or other light items) per round? I guess it just has to be a light weapon in the "second" hand, so I suppose they could throw a spear and and dagger, for example.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Post by BaophraT »

Technically, yes, it applies. Low Strength? You do less damage in things where Strength matters...
This is exactly the point that poses a problem for the halfling of the adventurer's party, good old Branlebuc. That said, as a Judge, I think I will continue to apply the rules as described, without worrying too much about realism.

If I understand correctly, we take into account the modifier at short range, considering that the Strength no longer take part on longer ranges ?
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

Yes.

Consider the Strength modifier to be effectively ±0 at longer ranges. Higher if it used to be negative; lower if it used to be positive.
baophrat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:27 am as a Judge, I think I will continue to apply the rules as described, without worrying too much about realism.
A good idea :)
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Post by BaophraT »

Consider the Strength modifier to be effectively ±0 at longer ranges. Higher if it used to be negative; lower if it used to be positive.
Thank you Captain Zapp ! Your explanations cannot be clearer ! And these rules don't need to be changed ! :D
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

You're welcome!
BanjoJohn wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:44 pm Also, could a halfling throw two weapons using the two weapon fighting rule for the class?
GnomeBoy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:13 am Hmm. Why not let Halflings throw two daggers (or other light items) per round? I guess it just has to be a light weapon in the "second" hand, so I suppose they could throw a spear and and dagger, for example.
Okay, so here's what I think.

I would allow throwing two weapons mainly because the rules for drawing new weapons prevent any real cheese/abuse. (That is, you can't draw endless daggers for free; drawing a weapon takes an action).

You just have to follow the rules for two-weapon fighting if you want to throw the second dagger with your off hand (possibly lower damage and/or smaller attack die and/or no chance for a critical). This is what you have to do of course if you want that "extra" attack. Of course having 18 Agility helps... :)

I would not interpret the rules to actually mean "you can't wield two weapons of the same size unless you're a Halfling" even though a literal interpretation could be said to have that result. I would rule the intention of the rules is to prevent two "heavy-weight" (as opposed to "light-weight") weapons. A dagger is already light-weight so two, or five, would be fine.

Furthermore, I would extend "use an action to draw a weapon" to include "use my action to draw two new daggers", so you can throw both of them every other round.

PS. I notice the two-weapon attack table 4.3 talks about "fighting two-handed". That's surely a typo? We're not discussing two-handed weapons like greatswords here, we're discussing two-weapon fighting/attacks (one in each hand). DS.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Bilbo threw two stones per round at the spiders in Mirkwood, so I would allow it.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Rules discussion”