How many house rules do you use?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DataPacRat
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Phoenix Rising

How many house rules do you use?

Post by DataPacRat »

How do you decide which house rules to use, and which ones have you settled on?

Currently, I'm skimming various sources for house rules that add depth, complexity, or plain old plot-hooks, but don't change DCC's core rules. I've jotted down notes on these ones being likely possibilities:

* Calendar: 2015 Gongfarmer's Almanac
* Daily Weather: http://www.dwarvenautomata.com/random-w ... generator/ , based on AD&D's Wilderness Survival Guide
* Foraging, Hunting, Fire, Shelter, Warmth: AD&D 1st edition's Wilderness Survival Guide
* Random Wilderness Encounters: AD&D DMG p47, Fiend Folio p112, random.org
* Liber Arcanum, pp5-6: Optional Rule #6: Spells above 5th level are rituals requiring multiple participants, at least a week of casting.
* DCC, pp124-126: ritualized versions of normal spells need research to figure out
* Liber Arcanum, pp7-15: Deeper Mysteries. Can know up to 1 + 1 per 3 CL, require either Liber Arcanum or reward from patron (eg, sacrifice 15 spellburn).
* Meta-magical materials. Liber Arcanum, p27: bone, ceramics, iron, mithril, star-metal. p71: Gems & minerals; one-time enhancement that destroys gem, or permanent enhancement of half-strength; gem of 1-500 gp, +1, 501 gp +2, 2001 gp +3, 5001 gp +4. (Cost is doubled for jewelry setting, requires 1 pt spellburn, takes 1 week to attune.)
* 2016 Gongfarmer's Almanac, volume 1 p46-7: Adventuring Companions.
* In case of death: 2016 Gongfarmer's Almanac, volume 5 p33-38, Crawling Through a Hell of One's Own Making.)
* Converting D&D spells, lvl 1-5, to DCC: Crawl 01, p19-20.
* Convert D&D-module treasures, cash, and magic items to DCC: cash, items of note, lucky items, magic items: Crawl 02, p4-15.
* Between-adventure study/carousing events tables: https://knightsinthenorth.blog/2017/12/ ... r-general/ , etc.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"
mutazoid
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Comic Connection

Re: How many house rules do you use?

Post by mutazoid »

Im looking thru the carousing tables and some awesome ideas in there ;)
Thanks
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I'm actually gathering my crap for a new campaign. I have my own rules for race as race (24 of them at the moment), and elite paths for the various classes that I'm revamping.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Let's see:

Equipment conditions
Custom Masterwork Rules
Auto-corruption on any spell that rolls a 1
Shield and Helmet Rule
Custom Corruption Tables

Probably others, but those are the big ones at my table
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Turelus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Turelus »

I'm setting up to start a campaign right now so searching through a lot of material myself.

I think the only set in stone house rule I've chosen at the moment is removing Electrum Pieces from the game, as none of the modules I found use them and it seems like an unnecessary addition to a system my group is already well versed in (CP/SP/GP/PP).

Some fantastic ideas in this thread though, will have to search out some of these sources and give them a read over.
FickleGM
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by FickleGM »

I have only run a zero-level session of MCC and a zero-level session of DCC with my wife, but I am looking at the following house rules:

Fleeting Luck
Jim Skach's Recovering the Body chart
Fighter/Dwarf Att. Bonus +1/level OR deeds die

Based on folk's feedback, to date, Fleeting Luck looks like it'll stick.

I allowed a couple 0-levels to use the recover the body chart, instead of 0=death, just to try it out. I like it and know that Jim has a couple other charts I might try out.

The third one is because I like the idea of Warriors and Dwarves being better at fighting, on average, than non-Warriors/Dwarves. Right now, aside from the actual Mighty Deeds, which I don't mind the variability, the middle levels are more likely to have a lesser attack bonus than other classes. I just figure that if folk don't want to be creative every round, I have no problem letting them decide between being consistent or doing a stunt.

Anyway, that's what I'm looking at right now. Overall, I am happy with what I've read and used of the rules, so I don't anticipate having more than a handful of house rules in play.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

FickleGM wrote:I have only run a zero-level session of MCC and a zero-level session of DCC with my wife, but I am looking at the following house rules:

Fleeting Luck

I allowed a couple 0-levels to use the recover the body chart, instead of 0=death, just to try it out. I like it and know that Jim has a couple other charts I might try out.

The third one is because I like the idea of Warriors and Dwarves being better at fighting, on average, than non-Warriors/Dwarves. Right now, aside from the actual Mighty Deeds, which I don't mind the variability, the middle levels are more likely to have a lesser attack bonus than other classes. I just figure that if folk don't want to be creative every round, I have no problem letting them decide between being consistent or doing a stunt.

Anyway, that's what I'm looking at right now. Overall, I am happy with what I've read and used of the rules, so I don't anticipate having more than a handful of house rules in play.
question about your fighter/dwarf AB bonus rule, does this replace the deed die for the extra damage bonus as well? Or are you not giving them the extra damage?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

If I were playing a Warrior or Dwarf and I could give up Deeds to have a flat to-hit bonus and no extra damage, I'd never give up Deeds. I will always try a "stunt" every round, because the benefits of that are just too good, even if it's not guaranteed to work. Beyond 1st Level the odds of Deed success are pretty irresistible, and at Level 1 the odds are I'm generating better than a 1 (certainly no less than "1"!), which sort of makes up for the bad odds of Deed success at 1st Level...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
FickleGM
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by FickleGM »

BanjoJohn wrote:
FickleGM wrote:I have only run a zero-level session of MCC and a zero-level session of DCC with my wife, but I am looking at the following house rules:

Fleeting Luck

question about your fighter/dwarf AB bonus rule, does this replace the deed die for the extra damage bonus as well? Or are you not giving them the extra damage?
No extra damage. It's an available choice if accuracy is more important, but it comes with a drawback. As a player, I would never use my house rule, though, but as a judge, if a player complained, I would allow this choice.
FickleGM
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by FickleGM »

GnomeBoy wrote:If I were playing a Warrior or Dwarf and I could give up Deeds to have a flat to-hit bonus and no extra damage, I'd never give up Deeds. I will always try a "stunt" every round, because the benefits of that are just too good, even if it's not guaranteed to work. Beyond 1st Level the odds of Deed success are pretty irresistible, and at Level 1 the odds are I'm generating better than a 1 (certainly no less than "1"!), which sort of makes up for the bad odds of Deed success at 1st Level...
I agree 100% and would always encourage players to do the same. I've had a couple players in the past, however, who I think would occasionally use this house rule.

Return to “Rules discussion”