New player - Withdrawal question

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

caledoniaman
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Black Lion Games

New player - Withdrawal question

Post by caledoniaman »

Hi. I'm new to DCC but falling in love with the system already.

I'm confused by the Withdrawal rule (p95). While the Introductions page clearly states there are no attacks of opportunity, that seems to me to contradict the Withdrawal rule, which seems to decribe exactly what I'd consider an attack of opportunity.

I'd welcome any clarification.
Judge Mark
AlbaCon 2021 - 2nd/3rd October 2021 - https://albacon.co.uk/
Return of the Dungeon Master - https://returnofthedm.com/
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: New player - Withdrawal question

Post by GnomeBoy »

"Attacks of Opportunity" in other games can involve complicated interactions as to when the attack can and cannot happen. Games can stop for minutes while the interaction of different rules are looked up and weighed...

But if you're in melee and you turn to run away, your foe(s) get a chance to hit you as you run off. It's that simple.

And don't overlook the top of page 314 -- if it turns out that you don't like the withdrawal rule, then don't use it. :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: New player - Withdrawal question

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Getting an attack against someone who flees is and old-school rule, and nowhere as needlessly complicated as AoO. To begin with, you get AoO against someone leaving threatened squares or doing certain actions in them - and each frickin action has it mentioned in its description if it allows an AoO for your foe. Add to that the various feats that further complicate the matter, and you get a mess akin to the grappling rules (which is again something DCC RPG handled elegantly).
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “Rules discussion”