Petting ready to start a game - have questions

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Tush Hog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Petting ready to start a game - have questions

Post by Tush Hog »

I have a couple of Spell related questions.

First, on casting times. If it is a one round casting time, does that mean the wizard can do no other spells?

Haste has a 2 round casting time, but gets a bonus action when spell is completed. Does that occur in round 2?

Under Potions it says the GM rolls instead of player. I'm not following why that would be necessary when a potion is chosen from an eligible list based on the roll. What am I missing?

Thanks!
Arijuna
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Petting ready to start a game - have questions

Post by Arijuna »

Tush Hog wrote:I have a couple of Spell related questions.

First, on casting times. If it is a one round casting time, does that mean the wizard can do no other spells?

Haste has a 2 round casting time, but gets a bonus action when spell is completed. Does that occur in round 2?

Under Potions it says the GM rolls instead of player. I'm not following why that would be necessary when a potion is chosen from an eligible list based on the roll. What am I missing?

Thanks!
First one: It depends on how many action dice the character has. Lower level characters can generally make 1 action. Casting a spell is an action.

Second one: The spell would be initiated in the first round, and would be in effect in the second. Ie, yes. Another way to look at the bonus action dice is that the spell effect is delayed by one round.

Third one: Make rulings, not rules! If you'd rather let the player roll it, no problem!
Tush Hog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tush Hog »

Thanks!
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

Tush Hog wrote: Under Potions it says the GM rolls instead of player. I'm not following why that would be necessary when a potion is chosen from an eligible list based on the roll. What am I missing?
Until the player drinks the potion or have it identify, they have no clue what it is. So having the GM roll and note what it is makes perfect sense.
Tush Hog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tush Hog »

boneguard wrote:
Tush Hog wrote: Under Potions it says the GM rolls instead of player. I'm not following why that would be necessary when a potion is chosen from an eligible list based on the roll. What am I missing?
Until the player drinks the potion or have it identify, they have no clue what it is. So having the GM roll and note what it is makes perfect sense.
That doesn't seem like the intent of the write up. It seems a spellcheck is made and the PC chooses the potion from eligible ones. Then the PC must gather ingredients for that particular potion which takes at least a week.

Return to “Magic and Spells”