Wasp Swarm

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Pipeline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: The Internet

Wasp Swarm

Post by Pipeline »

...or when you realize Flaming Hands is unlimited spells!

I was looking at Flaming Hands after having read this really great blog post. tl;dr the players always had their spells described to them.

This also draws inspiration from Summon Monster, (Devil) Ant-men from MCC, and Terror Eater, The Earth Mother from Terror of the Stratosfiend #1. Maybe got a little carried away when I got to the 30+ results?

Code: Select all

WASP SWARM

Level: 1	Range: 30'	Duration: Varies	Casting Time: 1 action	Save: None

General: The caster summons a swarm of wasps to attack their enemies. Results of 30+ 
         require the caster spend half the casting time drawing a pentacle, then the 
         remaining time conjuring wasp-men.

Manifestation: Roll 1d3
(1)	The swarm erupts from the caster's outstretched arms.
(2)	Wasps spew from the caster's mouth.
(3)	The caster collects the swarm in a sphere with their hands then hurls it at the 
	target.

Corruption: Roll 1d7
(1) 	The caster's hands permanently turn yellow.
(2) 	The caster grows 3 ocelli; permanent +1 to cast light-based magics.
(3)	The caster craves nectar and must consume a mouthful every day. The caster suffers -1 
    	stamina after 24 hours pass during which this craving is not satisfied. The lost 
    	stamina is regained once a mouthful of nectar is consumed.
(4) 	The caster grows tiny malformed non-functional wings; -1 agility.
(5) 	A pair of antennae grow on the caster's forehead; -1 personality.
(6) 	The caster develops mandibles; -2 personality.
(7)	Roll 1d5: (1) minor corruption; (2-4) major corruption; (5) greater corruption.

Misfire: Roll 1d5
(1)	The swarm flies to a random point within range then does 1d3 points of damage to 
	everything within 15'.
(2)	The swarm attacks the caster causing them 1d3 points of damage.
(3)	The swarm attacks everything within 10' of the caster causing 1d3 points of damage.
(4)	The swarm attacks the caster causing them 1d6 points of damage.
(5)	The swarm attacks everything within 10' of the caster causing 1d6 points of damage.

---

1	Lost, failure, and worse! Roll 1d6 modified by Luck: (0 or less) corruption + 
        patron taint + misfire; (1-2) corruption; (3) patron taint (or corruption if no 
        patron); (4+) misfire.

2-11	Lost. Failure.

12-13	A swarm of wasps stings one target within range for 1d3 points of piercing damage.

14-17	A swarm of wasps stings one target within range for 1d6 points of piercing damage.

18-19	A swarm of wasps stings one target within range for 1d6+CL points of piercing 
	damage.

20-23	A swarm of wasps stings up to three targets within range for 1d6+CL points of 
	piercing damage. All targets must be within 10' of one another.

24-27	A swarm of wasps stings up to three targets within range for 2d6+CL points of 
	piercing damage. All targets must be within 10' of one another.

28-29	A swarm of wasps 10' wide by 30' long does 3d6+CL points of piercing damage to all 
	caught in the swarm.

30-31	The caster summons 1d5+1+CL wasp-men. The wasp-men remain for up to 2+CL hours. 
	The wasp-men obey the caster's commands within normal bounds - suicidal commands 
	or those contrary to their nature have a 10% chance of releasing the wasp-men from 
	service. If the pentacle is broken or service is otherwise ended, they return to 
	the plane from whence they came. Due to the nature of summoning, the caster cannot 
	directly harm a creature they summon.

32+	The caster summons 2d5+2+CL wasp-men. The wasp-men remain for up to 4+CL hours.
	The wasp-men obey the caster's commands within normal bounds - suicidal commands or 
	those contrary to their nature have a 5% chance of releasing the wasp-men from 
	service. If the pentacle is broken or service is otherwise ended, they return to 
	the plane from whence they came. Due to the nature of summoning, the caster cannot 
	directly harm a creature they summon.

Code: Select all

Wasp-Men: Init +2; Atk bite +2 melee (1d3) or stinger +1 melee (1d5); AC 12; HD 1d6; 
MV 30' or fly 40', Act 1d20; SP Swarm; SV Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +1, AL N

Swarm (Wasp-Men): Roll initiative once per wasp-men swarm. Wasp-men gain +1 melee attack 
for each other wasp-man in combat with the same target.
Last edited by Pipeline on Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop

Re: Wasp Swarm

Post by Judge_Yossarian »

Really cool spell, and thanks for sharing that blog post. I have been running a campaign doing magic this way, with most of my players having never played an RPG, and it so far has been every bit as magical as he describes. DCC is perfect for an approach like this... The mercurial effects make spell manifestation unpredictable even to the GM!

I take the added step of not giving my players any results tables, only the description. Watching a player cast a spell for the first time without any idea of the results tables is glorious, especially in a system where results vary so much. I am excited to see how their own understanding of their skills evolve through trial and error.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Judge Yossarian: This is how I would love to adjudicate spell results in my game! My players all have access to the Quickstarts and a core rulebook, so I have that battle...

Pipeline: I was attracted to this older post because I've recently created outlines based on an online adventure title generator for several DCC adventures that I hope to flesh out as my campaign progresses. One of these outlines concerns Wasp-Men! I don't intend to publish, but only flesh out according to the directions my players take. I'd love to incorporate your Wasp Swarm & Wasp-Men. 8)

Journey to Wasp Mountain
The Sage of Peyhill Castle* can tell you the answer you so desperately seek, except, he has run out of enchanted honey that he uses for his spells, and the last known beehive of Irliand Bees were killed or driven off by the Killer Wasps of Wasp Mountain. There you must go, and thus begins the quest to find the last Beehive of Irliand. First of the Irliand Trilogy.

Beasts of Dungeons Deep
On the Trail of the Lost Irliand Bees and the First Elves, you learn of a sacred pet kept in a cage guarded by the Beasts of Dungeons Deep.
Second of the Irliand Trilogy.

Bane of the Secret Moonvault
With the Last Queen of Irliand rescued from Dungeons Deep, she cannot reproduce the miraculous honey that you desire until reunited with her hive, located On The Moon itself. Once the Gate is open, an ancient curse lies upon anyone who passes through, marked for death by the Bane of the Secret Moonvault.
Finale of the Irliand Trilogy.
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Pipeline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: The Internet

Post by Pipeline »

Bobjester wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:54 am Pipeline: I was attracted to this older post because I've recently created outlines based on an online adventure title generator for several DCC adventures that I hope to flesh out as my campaign progresses. One of these outlines concerns Wasp-Men! I don't intend to publish, but only flesh out according to the directions my players take. I'd love to incorporate your Wasp Swarm & Wasp-Men.
Awesome! Let us know how you end up using it in your game. What works, what could be improved, etc. Good luck!

Return to “Magic and Spells”