cast higher level spells

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

cast higher level spells

Post by BaophraT »

Hi everybody, dear gamers,

I wonder if a 1st level wizard can choose higher level spells than the ones he normally masters. Should it be based on the table of characteristics (intelligence) or that of the wizard class (levels) to determine the spells accessible from the first level ?

Thks
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: cast higher level spells

Post by finarvyn »

I typically allow my spellcasters to try higher level spells. Looking at the charts we notice that the chance of success goes down as spell level goes up and so the danger level increases. That sometimes makes for more fun.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by BaophraT »

Thanks for your response Finarvyn. And how do you operate when acquiring spells at 1st level, for example. Do you let the player draw higher level spells than those he normally masters ? I mean, it's written in the chapter about the wizard class : " known spells are determined randomly. They may be of any level for which the wizard is eligible, as shown by the max spell level column ". But which table are we talking about here : table 1-12 wizard or table 1-1 abilities scores ?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'd stick with 1st level spells at 1st Level. But if they discovered a higher level spell than they'd normally qualify for, they could try to learn it and cast it, leaving the gamble up to them...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by BaophraT »

Thanks for your advices !
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:49 am I'd stick with 1st level spells at 1st Level. But if they discovered a higher level spell than they'd normally qualify for, they could try to learn it and cast it, leaving the gamble up to them...
The class has a maximum spell level by level, and your Intelligence also affects your maximum spell level known.

I would limit 1st level characters to knowing 1st level spells, but if there is (say) a scroll or something, they can certainly try to use it!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Magic and Spells”