Mercurial Magic and Patron Spells

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MajorLeeAwesome
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Red Raccoon Games

Mercurial Magic and Patron Spells

Post by MajorLeeAwesome »

Should Patron Spells have a different mercurial effect than the Invoke Patron spell they are used in place of, or should they be the same? Thanks.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Mercurial Magic and Patron Spells

Post by GnomeBoy »

Should they have them at all, since they are channeled directly from the Patron, a being a vastly superior knowledge and skill?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
MajorLeeAwesome
Far-Sighted Wanderer

GnomeBoy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:13 pm Should they have them at all, since they are channeled directly from the Patron, a being a vastly superior knowledge and skill?
If invoking your patron has it, I would think these would as well...
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

MajorLeeAwesome wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:27 pm Should Patron Spells have a different mercurial effect than the Invoke Patron spell they are used in place of, or should they be the same? Thanks.
The straight answer you're looking for is:

This is not specified by the rules. You are encouraged to make up your own decision. Make them share the same mercurial is fine. Giving them separate mercurial effects is also fine.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

MajorLeeAwesome wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:23 pm
GnomeBoy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:13 pm Should they have them at all, since they are channeled directly from the Patron, a being a vastly superior knowledge and skill?
So my point is that power loaned from the Patron maybe doesn't have Mercurial at all. It makes sense, depending on how uncontrollable you see magic in your campaign. If the Patron does something, do they also suffer Mercurial effects? If someone answers that "no", I'd think Invoke and others would not also.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

MajorLeeAwesome
Far-Sighted Wanderer

GnomeBoy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:40 am
MajorLeeAwesome wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:23 pm
So my point is that power loaned from the Patron maybe doesn't have Mercurial at all. It makes sense, depending on how uncontrollable you see magic in your campaign. If the Patron does something, do they also suffer Mercurial effects? If someone answers that "no", I'd think Invoke and others would not also.
That would make sense if the patron was the one initiating the magic, but they aren't. You are.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

...Or is Invoke Patron actually invoking the Patron to step in and offer assistance, as the term implies...?

I'm not saying anyone has to define it that way, but if you do then Mercurial effects may make less sense.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:03 pm ...Or is Invoke Patron actually invoking the Patron to step in and offer assistance, as the term implies...?

I'm not saying anyone has to define it that way, but if you do then Mercurial effects may make less sense.
When Toth Amon loses the Ring of Set, he can no longer invoke Set until he recovers it. This matches at least two possible Mercurial Magic results, and puts me firmly in the camp of using them.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Maybe I haven't been clear on where my camp is... I think it makes sense when it makes sense, and doesn't make sense when it doesn't make sense.

"Mr. Wizard, HEELLPPP!!" is different than being invested with something/power and doing it yourself, and that differentiation between Wizards in the same campaign makes their choices of Patron more significant.

It ain't gotta be one size fits all. :wink:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:54 am Maybe I haven't been clear on where my camp is... I think it makes sense when it makes sense, and doesn't make sense when it doesn't make sense.
No worries friend!

The rules bend to you (and me), not the other way around!

What makes the most sense to YOU is absolutely how you should do it!

I was just saying what made sense to ME (and why)!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Magic and Spells”