Learning new languages for PCs

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Mithras
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Imp's Shop in Ulm

Learning new languages for PCs

Post by Mithras »

How do you determine when the PCs learn new languages and how many? This is my first campaign and the PCs have no free languages left to learn from their Int-Modifier. I consider that when they become Level 2 that every PC can adopt a new language which is teached by the other PC their accompanied with. This would be enough time for becomming familiar with the spoken tongue during the spend time together. How do you handle this topic?

(Sorry for any misspellings and grammar failure for a non native speaker)
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Re: Learning new languages for PCs

Post by BanjoJohn »

It is kinda left open to players and judges to decide this, as I can't remember any specific rules, but that's okay.
I think you could take some examples from real life, or at least think about how it might work in real life and apply it to the game/campaign.

Some people know more than one language, and they can act as translators. Some people might have different native languages, but they might know the common "trade" language, and as they spend time together they could teach bits and pieces of their own language to each other.
You might want to think of developmental steps in understanding languages as milestones for learning, like.. doing a quick search online I found this.
https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/r ... cy-levels/

Level 0 proficiency is basically not knowing the language at all, it just is understood as sounds

Level 1 is when you're starting to learn, maybe you get to level 1 after working on learning the language for about a week?
Level 2 might be easy to get a grasp on after 2-3 weeks of study?
Level 3 might take a couple months to a year?
Level 4-5 might be beyond what you'd want to have in your game, but I would imagine they would require a few years of study so that you can give effective and rousing oratories to the public.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I included some simple rules in one of the CE Series adventures; I think it was Silent Nightfall.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Mithras
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mithras »

Thank you, I will take a Look at it
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Post by BaophraT »

Hi Mithras !

Where do you come from ? If you mention the rue d'Ulm in your nickname, you could perhaps be a French player...

To complete the fruit of BanjoJohn's quick research If it can help, serve, or even be used to help, the language proficiency levels as categorized in Europe can also give a good overview of the degree of mastery of a language, see Common Reference Levels (chapter 3) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Eu ... _Languages
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
Mithras
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mithras »

I live in Germany, Baden Württemberg. But my preferred Shop is in the City of Ulm, also in Baden Württemberg.
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Post by BaophraT »

Mithras wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:50 pm I live in Germany, Baden Württemberg. But my preferred Shop is in the City of Ulm, also in Baden Württemberg.
> Ah, I was wrong, when I read Ulm, I thought of one of the very first French role-playing clubs, the one of the École Normale Supérieure, located in Paris, rue d'Ulm, precisely... Having said that, I preferred a thousand times to go to Ulm in Germany rather than to breathe the stale air of Paris and rub shoulders with its unfriendly inhabitants.
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !

Return to “Characters”