Warrior/Thief Advancement

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

janMartense
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Horizon

Warrior/Thief Advancement

Post by janMartense »

New player here.

As they get higher in levels, Wizards seem like they'll diverge really hard as they gain more and more different spells with differing mercurial components/patrons/corruption results.

But what choices/advancements make individual warriors distinct from each other? Also thieves?
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Warrior/Thief Advancement

Post by thogard »

You're right! The spellcasting classes will differentiate the most.

Thief skills vary by alignment. For warriors, I can think of only the lucky weapon as different from one to the next. Developing signature Mighty Deeds can help with variety.

On the whole, DCC just isn't as baked-in option-heavy as some other systems. Add more if you want more. There are benisons and dooms in the Lankhmar rules. Patron gifts or curses, magic items, questing for something... judge as you will.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I answered on your Reddit thread. I hope it helps.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

In general, I think adventuring at all should cause divergence in characters. Two first level Warriors may differ most in how they are played, but by the time they get to 3rd Level, they should have distinct "mutations" and battle-scars and that difference in play should be really pronounced -- like a samurai and a paladin would be markedly different.

It's not the rules that make them different, it's playing the game that should make them different. For that matter, they could have their own Patrons, too...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by herecomethejudge »

janMartense wrote:But what choices/advancements make individual warriors distinct from each other? Also thieves?
For characters who can't easily use magic (though Warriors can have patrons, and Thieves can use scrolls), it's going to be more of a magic equipment question: a demon sword, magical armor, etc. that other classes would not be strong or trained enough to use, along with other enhancements via potions and such. There's also the possibility of hirelings and apprentices. Even though wizards may seem to diverge more on paper, through actual play through actual adventures, every character is going to have their own unique, individual story, one way or another.

Return to “Characters”