Upper Level Caster Creation Idea

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

AMLopez
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: DragonFly Games

Upper Level Caster Creation Idea

Post by AMLopez »

When running an adventure that is above first level, I have been allowing players to create a new character at the level of the adventure. Here is what I have been doing.

Use the Funnel creation cheat-sheet to roll your starting stats/occupation/auger.
If you want to play a specific class, you may swap your stats around to fit the class you choose.
Ignore any occupation rolls that are not for your chosen class. (For example, if you want to play a Cleric, then re-roll any occupation result for a demi-human.)

Roll Xd100 for starting gold. (X=character level) with which to purchase equipment. (Or, in addition to allowing them to pick starting equipment)

For Wizards and Elves: After your spells are learned, roll for mecurial magic on each spell.
The GM and the Player will then each roll a d20 for each level of the new character. (Creating A 3rd level Wizard would require the GM and Player to roll 1d20 each, three times.) If the results of the rolls are within 5 of each other, then the Wizard/Elf has suffered a minor corruption of some sort at a level. If the results are the same, then the Wizard/Elf suffered a minor and a major corruption at that level.
For any corruption, Wizards/Elves should roll a dice to determine which spell caused the corruption and roll on the corruption effects on that spell as well.

Does anyone else have any ideas for starting higher level characters?
“C'mon kid. Think a minute, even if it hurts.”
― Robert Lynn Asprin, Another Fine Myth
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Upper Level Caster Creation Idea

Post by GnomeBoy »

When I created some pre-gens at 4th Level for online Cons, I just assumed the Wizards would all have corruption. I don't remember how I set how much, but they each wound up with like from 4 to 7 examples of corruption...

Maybe an easier system would be you have a [Level]-in-5 chance of having 1d4 corruptions....?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Characters”