Large mixed-level groups, fast combat, "Active Defense"

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Large mixed-level groups, fast combat, "Active Defense"

Post by phg »

My situation: I'm running a table with between 4 and 7 players, and each player can run up to 3 characters (currently limited to two "leveled" characters), rosters filled to three in some cases with random zeroes. So there can be between 12 and 21 characters available each session, with zeroes as guides/torchbearers/camp hands/"special door openers" or what-have-you.

For zeroes that failed to be blessed with a ranged weapon (possibly the fates' greatest gift), it doesn't always make sense for, say, Borvik the tailor to be contributing to combat directly, outside of holding a torch and maybe a shield, and screaming if the ceiling-thing moves again. I know that there's always potential for creative contribution, but with 21 characters, I'd like for there to also be a "just trying to keep myself alive, thanks" active choice that a player could quickly reach for as an option...hence: "Active Defense".

Active Defense: a character can use 1 action to actively bolster their defense. Any of their four defenses (AC/Fort/Ref/Will) can be steeled against impending attack, by making an Ability check, modified by class level if any. To bolster AC or Ref, make an Agility check. For Fort use Stamina, and for Will, Personality. This bonus lasts until the character's next turn. Any attacks made by this character until their next turn suffer -2dice on the dice chain.
  • 0 or less: No benefit
    1-8: +1 defense
    9-14: +2 defense
    15-19: +3 defense
    20 or more: +4 defense
Pros: Gives trembling zeroes a quick'n'dirty go-to. Any character can use it, but I think the cost of an Action is pretty steep, and appropriate.

Cons: Possibly stepping on somebody's toes in terms of niche power. May needlessly prolong the lives of nobodies. May not be considered a worthy option by players. many more I'm not thinking of?
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Large mixed-level groups, fast combat, "Active Defense"

Post by smathis »

phg wrote:My situation: I'm running a table with between 4 and 7 players, and each player can run up to 3 characters (currently limited to two "leveled" characters), rosters filled to three in some cases with random zeroes. So there can be between 12 and 21 characters available each session, with zeroes as guides/torchbearers/camp hands/"special door openers" or what-have-you.

For zeroes that failed to be blessed with a ranged weapon (possibly the fates' greatest gift), it doesn't always make sense for, say, Borvik the tailor to be contributing to combat directly, outside of holding a torch and maybe a shield, and screaming if the ceiling-thing moves again. I know that there's always potential for creative contribution, but with 21 characters, I'd like for there to also be a "just trying to keep myself alive, thanks" active choice that a player could quickly reach for as an option...hence: "Active Defense".

Active Defense: a character can use 1 action to actively bolster their defense. Any of their four defenses (AC/Fort/Ref/Will) can be steeled against impending attack, by making an Ability check, modified by class level if any. To bolster AC or Ref, make an Agility check. For Fort use Stamina, and for Will, Personality. This bonus lasts until the character's next turn. Any attacks made by this character until their next turn suffer -2dice on the dice chain.
  • 0 or less: No benefit
    1-8: +1 defense
    9-14: +2 defense
    15-19: +3 defense
    20 or more: +4 defense
Pros: Gives trembling zeroes a quick'n'dirty go-to. Any character can use it, but I think the cost of an Action is pretty steep, and appropriate.

Cons: Possibly stepping on somebody's toes in terms of niche power. May needlessly prolong the lives of nobodies. May not be considered a worthy option by players. many more I'm not thinking of?
I'd consider having a roll for Active Defense bolster AC and a saving throw determined by the ability used for the skill check. That would add value to the choice and make Agility less of a hog. So rolling Personality boosts Will and AC. Rolling Stamina boosts Fortitude and AC, etc.

Taking it one step further, I would consider changing up the abilities as well. To give those "other" abilities some love on the defensive side. So instead of Personality... Why not have the roll be Intelligence to bolster Will and AC? Or Strength to boost Fortitude and AC? Or Luck to boost Reflex and AC?

Overall, I like the option. It might prolong combat a bit. It most probably definitely will. But if you're running with 21 PCs, you're probably used to extended combats.
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

Why not just give a "full defense" option that precludes any other action and automatically gives a bonus to all defenses (say +2?) Don't allow it if the character moves or does any other action on their turn. I'm not sure the extra rolls are adding that much to the experience at this point.

An alternative is that if you go full defense you get to try to avoid the first attack or action that would otherwise hit or damage you. When that hit or damage occurs you get to make an action roll with appropriate ability modifier according to what happened. If you get a higher result than what hit you, you negate it instead. Only one attack may possibly be negated this way per turn, and the attack must come after your action in initiative order so that you can have saved your action die to do this.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

I'm in the full defense action = +2 to all defenses camp also. D&D 4E has it, it grants +2 to all defenses, and it's rarely used, if at all, because any other option is usually a better option. So I wouldn't be concerned that it would be too strong. I also like rules to be simple, and this one is. You're not using your action? You get +2. Next.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

Thanks for all the thoughts everybody! :) I'll chew on it and see what I come up with for tomorrow's game.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Could a Mighty Deed of Arms possibly provide "better defense" on the next round ?
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

sheriffharry wrote:Could a Mighty Deed of Arms possibly provide "better defense" on the next round ?
Totally, and hand out some hefty damage in doing so. Warriors rock!

Return to “Judges' Forum”