Stereotype Rules

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Stereotype Rules

Post by jodown »

When I first got the book, I said I was going to run an adventure called 'Save Steven!' in which 80's students would have to save their buddy from fantastical misfortune. I did just that, and I thought I'd share with you the alternative I had for the occupation and equipment rolls. Instead of having players roll up those rolls, I instead gave them an attribute bonus...

Save Steven! Characters – Roll 1d24

1) Stoner – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Luck
2) Class Clown – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Personality
3) Jock – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Strength
4) Loner – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Intelligence
5) Artist – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Agility
6) Skater – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Stamina
7) Gamer – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Intelligence
8) Nerd – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Intelligence
9) Band Geek – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Agility
10) Rocker – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Stamina
11) Punk – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Stamina
12) Debater – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Personality
13) Drama Kid – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Personality
14) Prep – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Strength
15) Popular Girl – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Personality
16) Teacher – *
17) Slut – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Stamina
18) Cheerleader – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Agility
19) Teacher’s Pet – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Intelligence
20) Bully – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Strength
21) Roll a d20 twice on this table. Character gets both attribute roll bonuses, if they are different. If both have same attribute, player rolls 1d6 + 12 for that attribute.
22) Roll a d20 twice on this table. Character gets both attribute roll bonuses, if they are different. If both have same attribute, player rolls 1d6 + 12 for that attribute.
23) Roll a d20 twice on this table. Character gets both attribute roll bonuses, if they are different. If both have same attribute, player rolls 1d6 + 12 for that attribute.
24) Roll a d20 twice on this table. Character gets both attribute roll bonuses, if they are different. If both have same attribute, player rolls 1d6 + 12 for that attribute.

*16) Teacher - Player decides what subject. Character can recruit and train students. Judge determines appropriate attribute bonus and recruitment rules.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Stereotype Rules

Post by cthulhudarren »

jodown wrote: 17) Slut – Roll 2d6 + 6 for Stamina
:lol:
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

jodown wrote:When I first got the book, I said I was going to run an adventure called 'Save Steven!' in which 80's students would have to save their buddy from fantastical misfortune.
So what kind of fantastical misfurtune did Steven have?
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Have you seen Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, a Canadian TV show? Same concept! And it's awesome. It's totally a small party of High-school kids dealing with an evil in their high-school. People die all the time in the most gruesome ways. Todd, eventually acquires a sword, his buddy Curtis has a fake arm that becomes a weapon. They kill things in the hallways, and man... good stuff.

RPG material all the way.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Cool.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jodown »

Skyscraper wrote:
jodown wrote:When I first got the book, I said I was going to run an adventure called 'Save Steven!' in which 80's students would have to save their buddy from fantastical misfortune.
So what kind of fantastical misfurtune did Steven have?
Steven was a popular kid that fit in with every clique. Lately, though, Steven has become very withdrawn and his grades have been dropping. He is always seen walking around with a large black and gold book *wink.* The characters all started out attending an assembly about the dangers of Dungeons and Dragons. Secretly, Steven is under one section of bleachers drawing out an enneagram with some fine powder of some sort. A bright light then issues from under those bleachers, and the characters are all whisked away to some fantastic realm. They awaken in some monolithic circle with the same enneagram etched in stone on the floor beneath them. They see Steven being carried off by two rather large, orange-skinned men with hair like moss. Steven is screaming and struggling, and two short, robed figures are commanding the large men. One of the robed figures turns, revealing a small face with dark gray skin, and pulls out a small wooden statue. He puts one finger to his nose, which then starts making a strange hissing noise. Smoke starts flowing out of his nose and enveloping the statue. He then throws the statue on the ground and runs to catch up with his companions, who are already plunging into the thick forest surrounding the henge. The nose-smoke clears, and the wooden statue is gone, having been replaced my a 6 ft. tall goat-monkey with wings.

Roll initiative.

I loved that the one player that rolled up a teacher (physics) totally took charge of the group after the fight. He's one of the survivors, thus far, and now he's also a bad-ass wizard.

If anyone's interested, here are some quick questions I made the players answer for each character...

1) What does your daddy do?

2) What do you wanna be when you grow up?

3) What's your favorite band?

4) What's your best subject?

5) What's your mom's name?

6) Who are your three best friends (if you have any friends)?

7) If you were stranded alone on an island, who is the person you would miss the most?
jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jodown »

reverenddak wrote:Have you seen Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, a Canadian TV show? Same concept! And it's awesome. It's totally a small party of High-school kids dealing with an evil in their high-school. People die all the time in the most gruesome ways. Todd, eventually acquires a sword, his buddy Curtis has a fake arm that becomes a weapon. They kill things in the hallways, and man... good stuff.

RPG material all the way.
I did see that name somewhere. Maybe Netflix? Thanks, I'm definitely gonna have to check that out...
jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jodown »

cthulhudarren wrote:

Yup, I just had to do it.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

jodown wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:

Yup, I just had to do it.
All those stereotypes, including sluts, are all over Todd and the Book of Pure Evil. And yes, it's available on Netflix Instant Play. Watch it. It's schlocky but funny, cruel, rude, profane and disgusting while being about high school kids that go on adventures at school. Yep. The tone is very much like the art in the DCC RPG game and modules, gruesome and funny at the same time.

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I love the concept of this, even through it doesn't fit the traditional fantasy setting. Love the chart and the fact that it can help generate some characters with real personality.

Is there an actual "Save Steven" adventure out there, or is this just a homebrew game session?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

finarvyn wrote:I love the concept of this, even through it doesn't fit the traditional fantasy setting. Love the chart and the fact that it can help generate some characters with real personality.

Is there an actual "Save Steven" adventure out there, or is this just a homebrew game session?
My game, and most games I've played, actually sound like a bunch of high school kids walking down school halls talking about what just happened, what to do next, and sometimes there are bullies. Sometimes they're the bullies. Just instead of school halls, they're dungeons. And instead of bullies, there are monsters. And the guidance councilor is a sketchy Wizard that sends them on adventures, etc.

jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jodown »

finarvyn wrote:I love the concept of this, even through it doesn't fit the traditional fantasy setting. Love the chart and the fact that it can help generate some characters with real personality.

It's just the homebrew that I'm running right now.

Yeah, the chart and even those simple questions really made the players care about their 0 level babies. I felt surprisingly bad when one of them would die. The look on their face and the obvious lump in their throat, as they try to play it off like they're not upset...priceless!
jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jodown »

reverenddak wrote:

My game, and most games I've played, actually sound like a bunch of high school kids walking down school halls talking about what just happened, what to do next, and sometimes there are bullies. Sometimes they're the bullies. Just instead of school halls, they're dungeons. And instead of bullies, there are monsters. And the guidance councilor is a sketchy Wizard that sends them on adventures, etc.

Haha, yeah I felt the same way. When we sit around the table playing, we just sound like a bunch of punk kids wandering around with some sort of weird backdrop. I figure, may as well make the out-of-character talk seem more in-character.

I also have always preferred the 'got swept away to a fantasy world' to the 'born and raised in a fantasy world' storyline. To me, having the characters be from the fantasy world sort of takes the fantastic and makes it mundane. Transporting them there from the real world makes everything fantastic. Also, it saves me from having to constantly answer, "Would my character know about...?"
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

jodown wrote: I also have always preferred the 'got swept away to a fantasy world' to the 'born and raised in a fantasy world' storyline. To me, having the characters be from the fantasy world sort of takes the fantastic and makes it mundane. Transporting them there from the real world makes everything fantastic. Also, it saves me from having to constantly answer, "Would my character know about...?"
There is one episode where they get "swept away" (kinda more CRPG than RPG), it's good. The main character, Todd, literally carries a great-sword in some episodes, it even has a name. Most episodes they're wandering the halls looking for The Book of Pure Evil, and they're almost always fighting monsters.

jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jodown »

Thanks for the recommendation!

I finally got around to checking it out, and I watched like 8 episodes in a row. Great stuff!
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

This reminds me of the Alma Mater RPG. :shock:
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.

Return to “Judges' Forum”