Detemining creature Hp

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

How do you determine monster HP?

Roll it legit baby!
58%
I roll with a modifier of some kind
No votes
I use the average
11%
I use my godlike GM powers to arbitrarily determine the appropriate number of hit points for each creature
16%
I use another method entirely
16%

Total votes: 19

maxinstuff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Detemining creature Hp

Post by maxinstuff »

i noticed that the core book only lists HD for monsters, whereas the modules list HD and Hp separately, and the Hp listed is NOT always the average that the HD would indicate.

Ao I am really curious to know how other Judges determine Hp for monsters.

Do you roll it?

Do you use the average?

Some other method (explain yourself below you heathen!)?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Detemining creature Hp

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Unless there are a lot of enemies, I roll. In case of short time and big battles I just use the average or whatever I think is appropriate for the creature.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I roll, but not until the creature has been hit and the damage dealt isn't more than its max HP.

...though, in the case of needing the HP totals of many creatures of the same type that have more than just a few HD in short order (like when needing half a dozen giants' HP), I use average +/- 1 hit die worth of HP.

Specifically I have two d8 of different colors and roll both together, if the light one is high the dark one is added to average, and if the light one is low the dark one is subtracted to average.
Colin

Post by Colin »

When I'm not pressed for time and HP totals don't really matter, I roll.

When I'm pressed for time and they don't matter, I average.

When they really matter (such as when I'm designing a specific significant NPC or important critter whose HP total reflects something about them, e.g. a low HP total for a weak, sickly sorcerer) I use my godlike GM powers to assign something appropriate within their normal range of HP values.

Colin
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

I usually "randomly" pick hp's in the range of MAX to MAX - 1HD. When I'm designing an adventure I don't like to spend a lot of time using any other method that's more time consuming.
maxinstuff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by maxinstuff »

So is anyone sure exactly WHY the modules list Hp values other than the average of the HD?

Are these values the intended balance (such as it is) of the adventure?
Colin

Post by Colin »

It's simply useful to have the HP values already determined; saves anyone who does roll 'em the time of doing so.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

maxinstuff wrote:So is anyone sure exactly WHY the modules list Hp values other than the average of the HD?
The module writer rolled/decided up the HP just as was done in the old-school D&D modules... and the reason why is very likely because that's how it was done in the old-school modules.
maxinstuff wrote:Are these values the intended balance (such as it is) of the adventure?
Not really. I'd bet it is just done because monsters are meant to feel as unique as possible in DCC, and predictable HP is counter to that principle.
Relaxo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Relaxo »

When I was DMing back in the day (the 2nd ed day) my players typically killed everything lickety split, so I'd just max out the hp on monsters as a matter of course.
it's probably my fault for having the critters use poor tactics, but we all had fun.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

I usually roll (my vote), but I'll sometimes use any other method depending on the situation. E.g. if the PCs are facing a monster that has been hyped as being tough, and he's alone vs the group, I'll perhaps use near max HPs to make him a worthwhile opponent. If I need to determine a larger quantity of HPs, I might average. I might choose low HPs for an opponent that has been described as weak, but powerful.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Ilvarin
Gongfarmer

Post by Ilvarin »

I roll, except in very specific circumstances, like a mook horde. I've been playing since '76 and that's the way I learned to do it.

As to why the modules are the way they are, I suspect it has to do with the nature of modules. They are there as a convenience; a pre-made adventure for the Judge to break out and use. Having the hp already there for the Judge is just an extension of that convenience. Also, I think rolling fits in nicely with the DCC randomization paradigm.

(Plus, I like to throw the word "paradigm" around when I get the chance)
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

We play most of our DCC on MapTool and I have a macro set up on that to roll monster HP's for every selected monster automatically, so I usually just use that. For special monsters sometimes I roll a couple times until I get something above average.

When we play at the table, I roll monster hit points in batches, so that I only have to roll a few different sets. So if there are 20 goblins, say, I'll roll HP's for 5 of them at a time.

Return to “Judges' Forum”