Restoring STA Points -- Potions? Spells?

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Restoring STA Points -- Potions? Spells?

Post by herecomethejudge »

A few of the PCs in the party I judge for have bled out many, many times and are nearing death (3 STA). I was thinking of maybe having pity on them and allowing a few of them to restore a couple of STA points either through a rare potion, an encounter with a powerful genie-type character, etc. Anyone ever done this before, and if so, how did you do it?
Zariel
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Time warp games and comics

Re: Restoring STA Points -- Potions? Spells?

Post by Zariel »

I am getting close to this point. There is a Cleric spell that, with a high enough roll, can restore a lot of points. You could do some kind of quest for a god, pilgrimage to a cleric thing.
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by herecomethejudge »

Yeah, I'm thinking of just sprinkling in a few +1 STA potions in the next boss's treasure trove.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

You could have the players encounter a magical water-spring or something with sweet water that heals injuries. Or they could meet up with some mythical being who invites them for a banquet with food that heals them.

EDIT:

Or you run into a higher level cleric who can cast the restore spell for a favor. Or maybe a holy book lays out a ritual recipe for restoring stamina but it needs rare ingredients. Or maybe a wizard knows how to contact a demon who can help but it will come at a price.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

They could use extended downtime to do some deep rest/training that restores a few points of stamina. Of course, a long break means a lot of nights in the tavern, not the mention the cost of the training.

You could also make this a quest itself. The Genie idea could interesting - the party finds the creature and is each granted a single wish. Would recommend that the wishes be presented as options: restore abilities, vast wealth, etc. to help seed the idea and avoid the idea that they can ask for anything.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
TheCaptain
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: ?

Post by TheCaptain »

'Restore Vitality' (level-2, cleric spell) can restore permanently lost stats pretty reliably, starting at a role of 20 (Core Rulebook, p. 278-9).

Thinking it's even a bit too easy with that spell. Thoughts?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

An NPC caster (or monster) has the ability to do this, but wants something from you first.

Eating the liver of a particular monster can restore 1d3 points of lost Stamina.

Bonding yourself (via patron bond) to a particular being restores your health, it is said. A servant of that patron dwells in a village in the mountains.

Basically, make them Quest For It, and use what they are Questing For in your adventure hooks. You can have all three of those possibilities in the same game milieu, so that the players have a choice how they wish to proceed.

You also need to include some means for the players to get the information they need to try those methods - the stone heads in Sir Amoral the Misbegotten, the crevasse in The Giggling Deep, and the titular character in The Black Goat are all means to this sort of information. So is the Mirror of Truth in Prince Charming, Reanimator. You should consider seeding your adventures with potential oracles, so that the players can ask questions. The best oracles come with a cost.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
qstor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by qstor »

You could make a conversion of the 3.x spell lesser restoration too.
"I waste it with my Hackmaster +12" Dave KODT

Twitter: @qstor2
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:44 am An NPC caster (or monster) has the ability to do this, but wants something from you first.

Eating the liver of a particular monster can restore 1d3 points of lost Stamina.

Bonding yourself (via patron bond) to a particular being restores your health, it is said. A servant of that patron dwells in a village in the mountains.

Basically, make them Quest For It, and use what they are Questing For in your adventure hooks. You can have all three of those possibilities in the same game milieu, so that the players have a choice how they wish to proceed.

You also need to include some means for the players to get the information they need to try those methods - the stone heads in Sir Amoral the Misbegotten, the crevasse in The Giggling Deep, and the titular character in The Black Goat are all means to this sort of information. So is the Mirror of Truth in Prince Charming, Reanimator. You should consider seeding your adventures with potential oracles, so that the players can ask questions. The best oracles come with a cost.
Always listen to Raven when it comes to DCC...
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Jim Skach wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:36 pm Always listen to Raven when it comes to DCC...
And always listen to Jim when it comes to listening to Raven...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

TheCaptain wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:58 pm 'Restore Vitality' (level-2, cleric spell) can restore permanently lost stats pretty reliably, starting at a role of 20 (Core Rulebook, p. 278-9).

Thinking it's even a bit too easy with that spell. Thoughts?
i kinda dislike clerics from the get go.

Return to “Judges' Forum”