funnel for beginners

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

funnel for beginners

Post by BaophraT »

Hello,

I am looking for a funnel that would be suitable for an initiation for my nephews and their parents, none of whom have done any role playing before. I have created their characters (so each will have 3 levels 0). I'd like them to play an adventure that is short, simple, and memorable and/or psychedelic enough to give them a good feel of the DCC atmosphere. Maybe you have some suggestions ? If you know of any free funnels (pdf), that would be great (I'm low on money...) !

I discarded several funnels that I already had my experienced players play ("Sailors on a starless sea", "Portal behind the stars") for several reasons (too long, too complex, or too deadly).
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Re: funnel for beginners

Post by BanjoJohn »

I'm embarrasingly unfamiliar with many of the things people have made, but recently I have been toying with my own funnel that is also a small hex-crawl where your group is basically part of a king's caravan going to somewhere, which would also provide ample people as part of it to explain any of the character profession/backgrounds that you can randomly roll for.
EDIT: also doing this would be a good way to introduce many of the different rules for overland and dungeon exploration, encounter reactions, morale, travel rates, time keeping, etc. Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but it might be enough to inspire you a little?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The PDF of Prince Charming, Reanimator is PWYW on DriveThru.

Depending on the ages of your nephews, it may or may not hit the spot.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Post by BaophraT »

Thanks ! I'll take a look ! My nephews are grown, two are in high school and their sister is in sixth grade !
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

I was going to suggest Portal Under the Stars, but...

DCC doesn't offer a lot in overland travel campaigns, so I'd love to see that when you finish, BanjoJohn!

I'll also check out that PWYW on drivethru. Thanks for the tip Raven_crowking!
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Bobjester wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:33 amI'll also check out that PWYW on drivethru. Thanks for the tip Raven_crowking!
You're welcome!

But I wrote it, so, really, thank you for giving it a look!

:D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

For folks completely new to RPGs, I recommend Hole in the Sky, which has a strong 'dark fairy tale' vibe to it, which almost anyone can relate to... It's not particularly dependent on RPG tropes, and has a mission embedded in it other than "let's go get treasure" which many players latch onto well.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Judges' Forum”