Advice on typical treasure limits

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

zathras1974
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Breakpoint Games

Advice on typical treasure limits

Post by zathras1974 »

I'm about to start playing with a group brand new to DCC (and one to TTRPG's altogether). The worry I have is that I used to roleplay a group where the treasure got WAY out of hand. Like, each one was sitting on a pile so huge that one used his money to pay off a militia to (successfully) depose a local mayor, install himself, and retire. (The player was moving, that was why he retired his character.)
The group stopped being treasure motivated, and started turning down quests because they didn't pay enough.
In the end, I had to specifically create an adventure to reduce their treasure. Think Rumpelstiltskin in reverse. Every time they went into their money pouch they pulled out straw. I was able to tie it back to a wealthy client they had slighted a couple adventures prior hiring a wizard to curse the party, so at least I gave them a reasonable explanation I thought.
I want to avoid this problem with my new group, so I ask other judges. What is the "normal" level of gold you give out per adventure? I've only ever given out GP, but maybe with the new group I can start with smaller denominations too.
Any advice would be appreciated. :)
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Re: Advice on typical treasure limits

Post by BaophraT »

I don't think there's a standard amount of treasure per module. It depends on too many factors to be able to establish an average. In any case, gold should never give players too great an advantage. They're normally adventurers, so there are plenty of other lures to take them into the dungeon. And sorcery can solve many problems if the group becomes 'too rich'. In short, I don't know how to answer that question...

I'd also add that, as with creatures and monsters, riches and treasures tend to be unique in DCC, so a large gem can have its own story and not just be seen as a number on a character's sheet.
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Advice on typical treasure limits

Post by GnomeBoy »

Don't have them get hired -- they explore and get into danger because that's how you hit the jackpot. There's no lottery, but that tomb may have stacks of gems and precious metals...

Stat by dropping all the treasure by an increment -- if it's gold, make it silver, if it's silver, make it copper...

Then, when it seems like they are starving for cash ("I wanna buy new armor, but can't afford it!"), leave whatever is in the next adventure as it is, so they get a good payday.

Keep adjusting as you go along.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Judges' Forum”