Blogging About the DCC RPG

This forum is for finding other players, announcing games, sharing actual game play reports, organizing online games, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

thistledownjohn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Blogging About the DCC RPG

Post by thistledownjohn »

I've started a new blog, The Thistledown Post, and as I am planning a DCC campaign the game will be heavily featured. I plan to post campaign design thoughts, play reports, and actual play audio at my website, Thistledown Actual Play. Please drop by and have a read! :D

The Thistledown Post
Thistledown Actual Play
thistledownjohn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Blogging About the DCC RPG

I've got a new post up on my blog where I talk about putting together my first character funnel session

The Thistledown Post
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

I love reading stuff like this. :)

Thanks for sharing.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Always great to get more positive word out there. For some reason DCC is getting lots of "pretty, but too complex" comments on the web at the moment, I assume due to its thickness and heft. Nice to have tales of great games out there for folks to read! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

finarvyn wrote:For some reason DCC is getting lots of "pretty, but too complex" comments on the web at the moment, I assume due to its thickness and heft. Nice to have tales of great games out there for folks to read!
Yep, that's one bug needs to get squashed quick. :)

I don't think I've ever ran a more accessible game for beginning players. Any "crunchiness" in the rules (like spell duels) comes down the road a bit- and in general such things are just delicious crunchiness for those that enjoy delicious crunchiness: the core mechanic is about as simple as it gets.

And I agree that "actual play" reports are the best medicine.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Yeah... lots of "too complex" comments... mind boggling how such a "complex" game has people playing with character sheets feeling roomy on a half-sheet of paper.

Luckily, I only have one person I have personally encountered that seems a bit flummoxed by the game (he keeps trying to cast the mercurial effects of his spells as independent spell effects, or use one on a spell other than the one it is attached to... I have no idea where he even got the idea he could do that)
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Excellent blog. I dig your take on alignment!
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

TheNobleDrake wrote:Yeah... lots of "too complex" comments... mind boggling how such a "complex" game has people playing with character sheets feeling roomy on a half-sheet of paper.

Luckily, I only have one person I have personally encountered that seems a bit flummoxed by the game (he keeps trying to cast the mercurial effects of his spells as independent spell effects, or use one on a spell other than the one it is attached to... I have no idea where he even got the idea he could do that)
I'm going to try and debunk this notion when I write up my review of Sailors on the Starless Sea. DCC RPG, while it does have its fiddly bits, is very fast paced. The only slow down that occurs is when you stop to roll on a table, but this hardly brings the game to a crawl.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Vanguard wrote:
TheNobleDrake wrote:Yeah... lots of "too complex" comments... mind boggling how such a "complex" game has people playing with character sheets feeling roomy on a half-sheet of paper.

I'm going to try and debunk this notion when I write up my review of Sailors on the Starless Sea. DCC RPG, while it does have its fiddly bits, is very fast paced. The only slow down that occurs is when you stop to roll on a table, but this hardly brings the game to a crawl.
Quite the opposite. Because those rolls actually matter, they increase tension, and therefore increase the sense of pacing.

Contrast this to 4e, as an example, where each roll is instead a tiny (and relatively inconsequential) step towards an end which occurs only at a glacial pace.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Vanguard wrote:

Quite the opposite. Because those rolls actually matter, they increase tension, and therefore increase the sense of pacing.

Contrast this to 4e, as an example, where each roll is instead a tiny (and relatively inconsequential) step towards an end which occurs only at a glacial pace.
That has been my experience. The time spent paging through the book to get the appropriate table certainly helps impart the idea that this is an important roll. DCC RPG is by far the fastest system I've played.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
thistledownjohn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Karaptis wrote:Excellent blog. I dig your take on alignment!
Thanks very much! :D
thistledownjohn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I've got a piece up on The Thistledown Post about the gods that hold sway in my Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG world of Aedoss...

The Thistledown Post
gambler1650
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by gambler1650 »

I'll admit, I was somewhat thrown by the size of the book. When I began flipping through it though, I realized how much was devoted to spells (each spell gets close to a full page), charts, and the like. Certainly the basic combat rules are straightforward...
Benoist
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Benoist »

Yeah I got kind of the same reaction and in fact it's very comparable to Rolemaster in that regard: the charts look intimidating at first, but when you look at the detail of the game, you see that it's not rules heavy at its very core. It just ask a little bit of forethought and organization to run properly, I guess (with photocopies of the spells, the crit tables handy, those kinds of things).
Visit The RPG Site, that "wretched hive of scum and villainy" gamers keep talking about!
Advice to build a mega-dungeon and the campaign around it.
thistledownjohn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Our character funnel session report is up! Click below and have a read...

The Thistledown Post
thistledownjohn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I'm reading the books of Appendix N in an effort to see for myself how Mr. Gygax was influenced in the creation of D&D. I just finished Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions. Read about what I found at the Thistledown Post.

The Thistledown Post
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

More good stuff. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
thistledownjohn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I'm talking about the integration of the adventure module DCC #66.5 - The Doom of the Savage Kings over at The Thistledown Post

The Thistledown Post

Return to “DCC RPG Community”