DCC in Downers Grove, IL

This forum is for finding other players, announcing games, sharing actual game play reports, organizing online games, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

DCC in Downers Grove, IL

Post by finarvyn »

There's a DCC game session being run on May 19, 2013, at Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove.

http://www.meetup.com/Naperville-Freaks ... 117350702/

I think you have to join the "group" in order to sign up for a game. Last I checked there were two player slots still open.

Here's the blurb about the adventure to be run:
Adventure prelude…

Several thousand years ago, the Xelthun Empire was at the height of its power, controlling the entirety of the Northlands through brutal subjugation and fear. While much of the written history of this era has been lost, the horror inflicted by the Xelthunites and their sorcerer-king Dol-volkor is often misrepresented as myth in tavern tales and children’s fables. Dol-volkor was a malignant and powerful wizard who used dark magic and necromancy to overwhelm the barbarian nations. His power was said to be derived from a perfectly formed red ruby known as the Eye of Obitu-Que. Rumors say that the gemstone was actually one of Obitu-Que’s five eyes, left in the mortal realm after his defeat by the unified northern chiefs. How this gemstone came into Dol-volkor’s possession is unknown, but through meticulous study and direct communion with his patron, Dol-volkor’s power increased several times over – giving birth to the greatest wizard since Sezrekan.

Dol-volkor ruled over the Xelthun Empire for several hundred years, until he was ultimately defeated by an allied host from the south led by King Vrigar. Yet it wasn’t the military might of King Vrigar that ultimately defeated Dol-volkor, it was theft of the Eye of Obitu-Que.

Rakar the Red, King Vrigar’s most trusted advisor and a powerful wizard in his own right, discovered the true source of Dol-Volkor’s power and sought to put an end to the Xelthun Empire. He spent several years tracking down a pair of cunning rogues able to carry out his mission. While their names were never recorded, tales of their victory were, and it wasn’t long before Dol-volkor’s sorceries began to unravel and lay claim to their weaver.

The Eye of Obitu-Que was spirited away and kept safe until the Xelthun Empire had crumbled. During that time, several attempts to destroy the Eye of Obitu-Que were made, yet none were successful. It was eventually decided that the Eye should be secretly interred with the remains of King Vrigar upon his death in a hidden crypt beneath a guarded temple. Protected by powerful magick and deadly traps, King Vrigar would keep watch over the Eye in this world and the next.

Over the years, the descendant nations of Vrigar fractured and waned. The glory of past days faded into obscurity and with it the written history concerning Dol-volkor and his terrible reign. The guarded temple eventually fell into ruin as the importance of what lied beneath it was forgotten…and so it was until very recently…
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Kergalli
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: DCC in Downers Grove, IL

Post by Kergalli »

This is the third playtest of an adventure I am running a couple of times at Gen Con this summer. Characters will be provided, but feel free to bring along a 1st level character if you want. 2 open seats still!
James D.
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by James D. »

Sounds cool. Hoping to get in the Friday night session at Gen Con. I figured if I searched this forum I would find the GM. :D
tburke0
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by tburke0 »

James D. wrote:Sounds cool. Hoping to get in the Friday night session at Gen Con. I figured if I searched this forum I would find the GM. :D
Ditto. Good luck to the both of us on the 19th. Hope to see you at the table...
Kergalli
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Kergalli »

Just had a drop. We have space for one more...
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Still one more opening for the 19th. Any takers?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

A great game session. We had a couple of people cancel, which was a bummer, but two of the players were newbies and having a smaller group really let them experience the game.

We nearly died multiple times -- heck, probably should have died -- but we had a load of fun! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

I'm totally bummed I didn't read this earlier...
Kergalli
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Kergalli »

Jim - I'd be up for running it again in June or July if we can find 3-5 players in total.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Kergalli wrote:Jim - I'd be up for running it again in June or July if we can find 3-5 players in total.
I'll have a go at it again, assuming you don't mind repeat players. :wink:

Also, I'm hoping to run something for Free RPG day so if Jim is interested stay tuned to this thread...
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

DCC at Fair Game on Free RPG Day is definite. Most of the guys are starting their games at 11 or at noon, so I told the shop owner that I'd start mine at 2 PM in the hopes of not confilicting so much with other games (and maybe grabbing players who die in the other sessions as well, hee hee!).

I probably will print up some of those reference booklets that are in the resources thread to add to the freebies being handed out, so that maybe DCC will get a little more press.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG Community”