New Podcast.

This forum is for finding other players, announcing games, sharing actual game play reports, organizing online games, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

frimbooze
Ill-Fated Peasant

New Podcast.

Post by frimbooze »

There is a new Podcast that just started up, With Jim Wampler (art director on the new Gygax Magazine) as one of the hosts. I thought I would pass it on.
http://spellburn.com/
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: New Podcast.

Post by Mad Mage »

Thanks, frimbooze! The show is being hosted by myself, Jobe Bittman, and Jeffrey Tadlock. We're not showing up in iTunes yet, but you can download the first episode directly from the website.

This is a project that all three of us are quite passionate about. There's been a notable sea change the past 9 months or so in the acceptance and adoption of DCC RPG, and as hard-core dungeon crawlers we want to do our part to evangelize the system!
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” ~ E. Gary Gygax
Rythwold
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Rythwold »

This pleases me.... :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Jobe traded me a unicorn die that you can get anywhere for my super valuable amazing, incredible, uncanny die.

I cried when I realized I had been tricked by him.

The unicorn die doesn't have a pedigree that I know of (and it doesn't roll unicorns enough) .. so I feel cheated. It is also not signed. I will never be interviewed on this podcast because of this uber minor slight.

everything said : Jim W is an ok dude.

DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

Mad Mage wrote:Thanks, frimbooze! The show is being hosted by myself, Jobe Bittman, and Jeffrey Tadlock. We're not showing up in iTunes yet, but you can download the first episode directly from the website.

This is a project that all three of us are quite passionate about. There's been a notable sea change the past 9 months or so in the acceptance and adoption of DCC RPG, and as hard-core dungeon crawlers we want to do our part to evangelize the system!
So this is the project you mentioned on Facebook? Clang likes! Already checked my podcast catcher and it is there. Sweet! :mrgreen:
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Glitter Wizard? Where did these guys come from? I love them.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Exedor »

Thank you for doing this! I just listened, with pleasure, and I am looking forward to more.
Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

Just downloaded and planning on listening to it at work today. Thanks!

-Stouthart
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Bloody Jep the Accumulator (chicken butcher Halfling 4); STR 14, AGI 6, STA 17, PER 10, INT 9, LUC 13; Chaotic; AC 14 (Chainmail); HP 29; Dual-wield Handaxes; Blinded Left Eye; Follower of Cadixtat, the chaos Titan
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Great job guys. It is a fun listen.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Episode 2 has been posted of the Spellburn podcast! Welcome to the Funnel!

http://spellburn.com/2013/06/18/episode ... he-funnel/

This week on Spellburn we take a look at one of the system’s distinguishing features, the character funnel, in which many level zero peasants will meet their untimely demise. But with some luck, pluck, and and a few blows well-struck, a select few will gain the first glorious level of experience and become true dungeon-crawling adventurers.
Jobe Bittman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Jobe Bittman »

Not only did I capture Doug Kovac's Marvel Super Hero d6 and a small piece of his gamer soul, I've also tricked him into outing himself as a unicorn lover on the forums.
viruswithshoes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by viruswithshoes »

Great podcast guys! Nice flow, good audio quality etc. I listen to a variety of RPG podcasts most notably Roll For Initiative but they just don't scratch the itch like Spellburn. Keep it up!
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

viruswithshoes wrote:Great podcast guys! Nice flow, good audio quality etc. I listen to a variety of RPG podcasts most notably Roll For Initiative but they just don't scratch the itch like Spellburn. Keep it up!
Thanks viruswithshoes! The compliments are much appreciated!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Well, then, add mine.

For the record, though, the abilities gained by 0-level demihumans are in the book, page 21:

Demi-humans at level 0: Characters whose 0-level result includes a demi-human race must advance in class as that demi-human. For example, a dwarven miner levels up as a dwarf. 0-level demi-humans are able to utilize select racial traits as follows: dwarves have infravision and a base speed of 20’; elves are sensitive to iron and have heightened senses; and halflings have infravision. Refer to the dwarf, elf, and halfling class descriptions for more information on these abilities. 0-level demi-humans speak Common plus their racial language, with additional languages gained as they level up. Just as all characters gain improved abilities and, sometimes, additional languages when they reach level 1, demihuman characters polish their natural talents through adventuring.

So, if you are playing with the RAW, a dwarf cannot become a warrior and stop being a dwarf, and elves are sensitive to iron right from the get-go.

Otherwise, great stuff!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Raven_Crowking wrote: For the record, though, the abilities gained by 0-level demihumans are in the book, page 21:

Demi-humans at level 0: Characters whose 0-level result includes a demi-human race must advance in class as that demi-human. For example, a dwarven miner levels up as a dwarf. 0-level demi-humans are able to utilize select racial traits as follows: dwarves have infravision and a base speed of 20’; elves are sensitive to iron and have heightened senses; and halflings have infravision. Refer to the dwarf, elf, and halfling class descriptions for more information on these abilities. 0-level demi-humans speak Common plus their racial language, with additional languages gained as they level up. Just as all characters gain improved abilities and, sometimes, additional languages when they reach level 1, demihuman characters polish their natural talents through adventuring.

So, if you are playing with the RAW, a dwarf cannot become a warrior and stop being a dwarf, and elves are sensitive to iron right from the get-go.
Awesome! This is actually how I play, if you get a dwarf on the roll, then you are dwarf from there on out. Oddly enough, I don't think abilities has come up much during actual play, though really, I think I've had a lot of human-centric 0-level funnels when I've run them!
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Episode 3 went live this morning with an interview with Michael Curtis!

http://spellburn.com/2013/06/27/episode ... el-curtis/
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Way awesome I love listening to the podcast while im busy at work. Its also nice to hear another cincinnatian who games it up with dcc.
Hrevelax
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hrevelax »

Great show, can't wait for episode #4!

This is the first time I've caught a podcast that is still in its infancy. I usually have a good backlog of several years of content to go through before I catch up.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

And Episode 4 has been posted!

http://spellburn.com/2013/07/03/episode ... rty-deeds/

This week we look at the plethora of 3rd party products for DCC RPG.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Seriously Jeff, this is such a cool addition to the community. The quality of the production is very high, and it's such a great way to learn about what's going on.

And as always, thanks for the generous shout outs!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Another excellent podcast. Thank you all very much for the kind words!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Hrevelax
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hrevelax »

This is really great, the guys are really enthusiastic and entertaining. I'll get around to listening to the new episode very soon.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

tovokas wrote:Seriously Jeff, this is such a cool addition to the community. The quality of the production is very high, and it's such a great way to learn about what's going on.
Props to Jobe and Jim for the production values. It appears Jobe is OCD about all things audio which has helped immensely with getting rolling with quality sound.

Glad folks are enjoying the show! We have a lot of fun making them!
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

And we have gone live with Episode 5!

Episode 5: A Mercurial Magic System

This week on Spellburn we take a look at wizard magic! Described by some as a set of rules that out-Vancian the Vancian Magic System, we’ll take you through the entire system with some live-play examples. From spellchecks to mercurial magic effects to spell corruption to patrons, we’ll find out what happens to those who dare dabble in the dangerous and wildly unpredictable arcane arts in the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG.

http://spellburn.com/2013/07/10/episode ... ic-system/
Jobe Bittman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Jobe Bittman »

Damn. Jeffrey beat me to the punch again.

Return to “DCC RPG Community”