Appendix N Video games!

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Appendix N Video games!

Post by dark cauliflower »

guyz,

I've been playing the Witcher, which Im liking quite a bit. It seems like it would be a good Appendix N book to me, which got me to thinking. What video games out there do you think are Appendix N material?

Ill start with:
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Appendix N Video games!

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Out of This World (a.k.a. Outer World, a.k.a. Another World) - it's an old action platformer from the early '90s that follows Lester, a young scientist, who finds himself transported to a different world and must fight for his survival.

There's all kinds of strange creatures, the landscapes are wild and alien looking, it's basically just about everything Appendix N rolled into a single game.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Darklands!
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

guyz, I just ran into a naked green lady in the Witcher! What could be more Appendix N that that? :lol:

The witcher character is pretty gritty, he's a monster hunter. Goes around looking for jobs to go and kill monsters off.
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Kobayashi
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Kobayashi »

Dark Souls all the way.

Beside the excellent visuals and brooding atmosphere the game also has an "old school" vibe as well : take the time to learn to play, be smart, don't rush and you might survive. Go all spells blazing in a button mashin' extravaganza and you'll get your ass handed to you pretty fast.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Die by the Sword
Heretic I-II
Hexen I-II
Rune
Severance: Blade of Darkness

...plus I really love the Might & Magic and Wizardry series too.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
cjfodel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by cjfodel »

Ultima 1, 2, and 3.
Desrimal
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Desrimal »

Skyrim
RPGing since ´87
Guitarist in Rust Age
http://itunes.apple.com/dk/artist/rust-age/id460786336
maxinstuff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by maxinstuff »

Abe's Odyssey
Medievil

Maybe the early castlevania games??
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Rogue.
Nethack.
Bard's Tale
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

Desrimal wrote:Skyrim
With all due respect, Tamriel is about as much of bog standard high fantasy world as I can think of. In what way is Skyrim "weird" or "pulpy?"
Desrimal
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Desrimal »

NJPDX wrote:
Desrimal wrote:Skyrim
With all due respect, Tamriel is about as much of bog standard high fantasy world as I can think of. In what way is Skyrim "weird" or "pulpy?"

The Deadra are demon-like beings that are also patrons for different "shady" groups, organisations and races. When you're talking to the daedra or the gods in the game, you often get the feeling, that your a pawn in a game.

Also, you get to be an ruthless assasin and a thieves guild member, but still the Dragonborn hero that is destined to save Skyrim. In other Words: An anti-hero!

I'm kinda new to the whole Appendix N idea (I've read Lovecraft and Tolkien - that's it!) The Appendix N "feeling" that I have, is therefore mainly from the DCC books. So of course I may be vompletely wrong in assuming that Skyrim is Appendix N :)
RPGing since ´87
Guitarist in Rust Age
http://itunes.apple.com/dk/artist/rust-age/id460786336
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

I see your point about the Daedra, but honestly dealing with them comes at almost zero cost to the player (and the world). If that game really wanted to be "Appendix N" there would have to be some much more severe consequences for dallying with the supernatural and infernal like that.

Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is about as Appendix N as it gets.
Griffith
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Paradox Comics-N-Cards

Post by Griffith »

TheDiceMustRoll
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Quantum Games

[deleted]

Post by TheDiceMustRoll »

[deleted]
Last edited by TheDiceMustRoll on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xandarr2000
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black & Read or Atomic Goblin

Post by xandarr2000 »

Of course as said before Kings Field, Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne fit the mold. No Man's SKy certainly fits the mold as well. The very non forgiving exploration based game with a non apologetic look at alien species and creatures in some cases seems very peril of the purple planet to me. Everytime I land on a semi arid world I get that purple planet, Jon Carter vibe. I also feel like the Gabriel Knight games, Alone in the Dark series and even some of the Resident Evil games could fit the mold.
TheDiceMustRoll
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Quantum Games

[deleted]

Post by TheDiceMustRoll »

[deleted]

Return to “Appendix N”