What to read next?

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: What to read next?

Post by GnomeBoy »

JediOre wrote:Do you know the stories in your collection?
The book is called Gods, Men and Ghosts, and happens to be the '72 edition. Over 30 stories -- most of which are in the collection you mention -- except for a section of six stories under the heading of Jorkens, with titles like The Neapolitan Ice and Jorkens Consults a Prophet and A Mystery of the East.

Note to self: Learn to read faster!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

GnomeBoy wrote:. . .except for a section of six stories under the heading of Jorkens, with titles like The Neapolitan Ice and Jorkens Consults a Prophet and A Mystery of the East.
I've not read any of his Jorkens stories. I'm told they are good, but of a very different feel than his early stuff.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Dunsany is great.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

Finally picked up Karl Edward Wagner's Kane stories on Kindle and just started diving in today - good stuff ... (I was tempted to go for the Nightshade omnibus edition, but it aint cheap!)
Desrimal
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Desrimal »

Soooo... One and a half year after I started this thread, I finally got my head out of my ass, and actually bought the complete Lankhmar series :) So far I've only read The Snow Women which I think is a good introduction to Fafrd.

I guess I got the books at just the right time, with DCC Lankhmar coming up soon. By the limited info that is out about the game at the moment, it even looks like it's going to be a version of DCC, that I might like better than the original DCC.
RPGing since ´87
Guitarist in Rust Age
http://itunes.apple.com/dk/artist/rust-age/id460786336
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Desrimal wrote:Soooo... One and a half year after I started this thread, I finally got my head out of my ass, and actually bought the complete Lankhmar series :) So far I've only read The Snow Women which I think is a good introduction to Fafhrd.
Glad you got that head out of your ass. A year and a half is a long time ....

Oh, and the series gets even better. "The Snow Women" is nowhere near one of the best stories, IMO. 8)
Desrimal wrote:I guess I got the books at just the right time, with DCC Lankhmar coming up soon. By the limited info that is out about the game at the moment, it even looks like it's going to be a version of DCC, that I might like better than the original DCC.
Agreed. Your timing is most excellent!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Appendix N”