Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dstack
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John

Post by dstack »

I was impressed by the setting in The Chained Coffin so went on a search for some of Wellman's Silver John stories. It was a bit harder than I'd anticipated - not much of his work is in-print and very little of it is available digitally.

I was able to obtain The Old Gods Waken first. I did a review of it in my blog as well as info on how best to obtain his works. One thing which surprised me was Baen Books Mountain Magic has all of the Silver John short fiction, but only in the digital version of the book. The dead-tree version instead has Henry Kuttner fiction.

I live closer to the northern end of the Appalachians - Wellman's stories take place in the North Carolina Appalachians while I live in Massachusetts. I used to go up to New Hampshire's White Mountains very frequently before I had kids and am really itching to get back into hiking them. They're absolutely beautiful. A different beauty than the Rockies - to me, a more familiar beauty. Wellman weaves Native American lore, later folklore, magic, monsters, and natural beauty all together and makes it look easy. Silver John is a great inspiration for the D&D bard class. A guy who knows a little bit about everything, makes friends easily, picks up stories and songs. The people of the southern Appalachians are subject to a ton of negative stereotypes, it was nice to get another view.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John

Post by michaelcurtis »

Yes, the Paizo Planet Stories collection is the most readily available version. Luckily, it's also the only one you truly need to absorb the flavor of the Silver John stories and the Chained Coffin/Shudder Mountain adventure and setting. If you read that one, everything else is gravy. Delicious, delicious gravy. :D

I spent my college years in the Catskill region of New York and Wellman's stories have a special resonance for me because of that. I've also got Appalachian blood ties from long ago, so I wanted to treat the Shudfolk of the adventure/setting with the respect they deserved and not as stereotypes.

Glad you enjoyed the setting and that it served as a gateway to Wellman's work!
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Rotten
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Rotten »

I'm from Kentucky, 'nuff said.

I found a few of Manly Wade Wellman's audiobooks on YouTube.

Thanks for mentioning Paizo, I bought that book and will eventually get to reading it.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

michaelcurtis wrote:Yes, the Paizo Planet Stories collection is the most readily available version.
I've never read the stories, but I have a few books in Paizo's collection and they are pretty well done. Thanks for the tip, Michael, so I don't have to start combing used bookstores. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:...so I don't have to start combing used bookstores. :D
You say that like combing used bookstores isn't a glorious end in itself. :D

...or is that just me?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:...or is that just me?
No, it is not just you. :mrgreen:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I love going to used bookstores. But it's more fun when I don't have a specific thing in mind, since there is a good chance that I won't find it. Much better if I go with an open mind and just find random treasure. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Oh, random treasure is wonderful.

Picked up one of those old timey sci-fi flip books for a buck just a week ago. How could I not buy Delusion World?

But I find I also like tilting at windmills because they might be giants (searching for the last few items on my Appendix N list).

~cue TMBG song~
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy, what are you still searching for?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:GnomeBoy, what are you still searching for?
That vaguely-known, angst-deflecting life's puzzle piece that U2 sang about all those years ago...?

Oh. You mean book-wise. :wink:

Lest Darkness Fall
Carnellian Cube
Heiro's Journey
Stormbringer
Swords Against Darkness III
Changeling Earth
Shadow People

some Fredric Brown
some Stanley Weinbaum
and maybe a bit more Jack Williamson (but I'd better read the one I found before I go picking up others)

Not a huge list left and I love prowling the aisles of to-me new used bookstores never knowing what I might find (just discovered the awesome Green Apple in SF last week). I have about 50 unread books on my nightstand. About half of that is Appendix N and about 80% of the rest is stuff I couldn't resist while searching out that Appendix N stuff.

I'm also prowling for some "Appendix MA" stuff:

Hothouse
Hull Zero Three
Captive Universe
Space-Born

At the moment, my basic policy is "don't buy a new book until you get through at least two or three already waiting". Or else my old nightstand might collapse!

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

There are some books I have found extras of, but not the ones on your list. If I find an extra of any of them, I'll snag it for you. I think there might be one or two at the BMV on Bloor near Bathurst in Toronto.
SoBH pbp:

tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

GnomeBoy, I think I have a copy of Lest Darkness fall in a box somewhere. If you'd like it, just send me your address to info(at)purplesorcerer(dot)com. If I can find it I'll pop it in the mail. :)

And for the rest of those here about, concerning Manly, if you do most your readin' digital like, as somes such as myself are wont to do, as mentioned the Baen Mountain Magic bundle is a good value to find all the John the Balladeer short stories in one place, along with some brief but interesting forward information from folks who knew the man.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

That is tremendously generous of you both! :D

How could I thank you? ...Custom monsters? Old Dr. Who novelizations? Cold, hard cash? Tissue samples?

The thought of brandishing a book from BMV on Bloor near Bathurst is beyond brain-boggling! You bet I'd be boasting, brother. :wink:

...I wonder if the forum needs an Appendix N Swap Shop section...? :idea:

tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Tears of joy are payment enough. ;)

And I'd still have to find the darn thing...
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

tovokas wrote:Tears of joy are payment enough. ;)

And I'd still have to find the darn thing...
+1d24.

You deserve whatever I can find.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Appendix N”