The Swords Trilogy

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Griffith
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Paradox Comics-N-Cards

The Swords Trilogy

Post by Griffith »

Reading this again for the 3rd time.

From the introduction:
In those days there were oceans of light and cities in the skies and wild flying beasts of bronze. There were herds of crimson cattle that roared and were taller than castles. There were shrill, viridian things that haunted bleak rivers. It was a time of gods, manifesting themselves upon our world in all her aspects; a time of giants who walked on water; of mindless sprites and misshapen creatures who could be summoned by an ill-considered thought but driven away only on pain of some fearful sacrifice; of magics, phantasms, unstable nature, impossible events, insane paradoxes, dreams come true, dreams gone awry, of nightmares assuming reality.
It was a rich time and a dark time. The Time of the Sword Rulers.

Hmm, reminds me of something :wink:
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: The Swords Trilogy

Post by finarvyn »

An excellent book. Corum is a fun character and every time I read his tales I think about crit tables where one can lose an eye or a hand. So many RPGs don't let this happen....
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Finished this trilogy early this year if I recall correctly, maybe the end of last year. It's not my favorite from Moorcock's works, but it has the best portrayal of Chaos.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Funny enough, I just started re-reading this when I left for work this morning!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Wasn't there a second set of books as well that were not as good? I remember being a teen and reading them and being slightly disappointed.
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

Gameogre wrote:Wasn't there a second set of books as well that were not as good? I remember being a teen and reading them and being slightly disappointed.
That's my experience as well. More from the first three has stuck with me.

Return to “Appendix N”