Connect the dots here

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Connect the dots here

Post by finarvyn »

I will confess that I don't _know_ anything here, but I have a couple of thoughts to put together....
(1) Michael Moorcock interview on twitch.
(2) Goodman blog on monsters in the Elric books.

So ... connecting the dots I'm speculating that we may see DCC Elric soon? :shock: Thoughts? Am I nuts here?

Links:
https://goodman-games.com/blog/2022/09/ ... EKJXxXgvwQ
https://goodman-games.com/blog/2022/09/ ... SArtnJfUUI
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Mithras
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Imp's Shop in Ulm

Re: Connect the dots here

Post by Mithras »

I'd love to see a Elric DCC! And the hints get strenger with more articles on Moorcock...
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Watched the Moorcock interview. Fun, but I really had hoped for a DCC Elric announcement, which never happened. I think Elric (and Moorcock's other Multiverse characters) would make an excellent DCC setting. Fingers crossed that someday we get this. ;)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Jakob
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Otherland Bookshop, Berlin

Post by Jakob »

I would totally love DCC Elric ... though an English translation of the French Elric RPG Mournblade seems to be coming soon (looking forward to that one as well). I'm not sure if the license for an Elric RPG could/would be spread between several parties like that. OTOH, going by the interview, it seems like Moorcock himself would have no problem with that or even prefer it.
I'm still a little sad that it sounds in the interview as if Moorcock still has some bad feelings left towards Chaosium, though it seems to be more about Chaosium being propriatary about the Elric franchise in rpgs back then. I understand why that didn't sit well with Moorcock, though I also think I understand why Chaosium acted this way - I guess they were trying to secure some turf for themselves against the giant in the playground. After all, they obviously put a LOT of work into developing Stormbringer.

If I had it my way, we'd get a new edition of Stormbringer, Mournblade AND DCC Young Kingdoms, three different takes on a setting that is as diverse and rich as they come, anyway.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I thought that part of the interview was interesting as well, but I never quite understood Moorcock's position on the use of the Melnibone mythos. If he gave TSR permission to use it, and also gave Chaosium permission to use it, why back off when litigation happened between the two? Why not just say, "hey, play nice" and allow both to use his characters? (It was very nice of him to allow this, I should point out. In today's world an author would be asking for big bucks for the use of the IP, and Moorcock just gave permission for free.)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Jakob
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Otherland Bookshop, Berlin

Post by Jakob »

finarvyn wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:59 pm If he gave TSR permission to use it, and also gave Chaosium permission to use it, why back off when litigation happened between the two? Why not just say, "hey, play nice" and allow both to use his characters? (It was very nice of him to allow this, I should point out. In today's world an author would be asking for big bucks for the use of the IP, and Moorcock just gave permission for free.)
Also, I seem to remember that the split between Moorcock and Chaosium came about because of pending royalty payments from Chaosium - I think they didn't give Moorcock the money he was owed for a long time. However, that would imply that at least at some point, the license for Stormbringer became a license Chaosium had to pay for (which only makes sense).

The scenario might have been that Chaosium said "Hey, we want our license to be exclusive, so we're willing to pay for that!", or that Chaosium said "Hey, we're already paying for our license, so we want it to be exclusive!", or both issues might be totally unrelated ...

Sorry for rambling, basically, this is just stuff I read over at BRP central when there was discussion about the chances to revive Stormbringer.

Anyway, it's cool that Moorcock's position basically seems to be that if people want to use his IP in games, they're welcome to do so. Seems that some kind of DCC version of the Eternal Champion should be feasible, at least when it comes to obtaining a license.

Return to “Appendix N”