Solo Adventures?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fanditch
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Solo Adventures?

Post by fanditch »

Does Goodman Games ever intend to make solo adventures, like from the good old days of Tunnels & Trolls? It would be fun to try out the awesome DCC system in a solo format.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Solo Adventures?

Post by MrHemlocks »

I would love it! That way for those of use that are permanent DMs that will give us at least some chance to enjoy the game as a player.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

I have used both Stormbringer(elric) and Tunnels & Trolls solo adventures with DCC and it works great. In most cases, it was me with one player, but all I did was read the sections and give him the options.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

I would definitely pick up solo modules if GG released some.

I have been thinking of using some old BSOLO/XSOLO TSR modules like Lathan's Gold, Thunderdelve Mountain or Ghost of Lion Castle for DCC.
Not sure how much work it would be to convert it over, maybe not a lot. I am tempted just to dive right in and convert things on the go.
sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by sniderman »

Also a solo adventure would give the purchaser a way to run himself through the system, learning as he plays, and -- that way -- be more familiar with the system when it comes time to group play. (Tunnels and Trolls was genius for their solo adventures in their rulebooks, giving the new owner a chance to fiddle with the system in actual on-hands play.)
LegoRick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LegoRick »

Throw in another somebody who would absolutely love a solo adventure. Between school and work, it would be nice to have a DCC distraction when I'm alone.
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

DCC doesn't seem to lend itself to solo adventuring...
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Clangador wrote:DCC doesn't seem to lend itself to solo adventuring...
You forgot the "irony smiley" on that post. :wink:

What would Conan/Cudgel/John Carter/_(insert favorite solo adventurer here)_ think?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
MonsterSlayer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by MonsterSlayer »

Clangador wrote:DCC doesn't seem to lend itself to solo adventuring...
Not sure I agree. Our first use of DCC was with my wife as solo player and me GMing. It was a blast even if it ended in a TPK of level 0 characters. I didn't scale the adventure down quite enough but she actually made it pretty far into the O-level adventure in the rule book. The bigger problem she had with the adventure was that she was not used to old school games that required more deductive problem solving in a module to overcome encounters that are not "balanced". And that is one of the things that has plagued the last couple of editions of the "world's most popular role playing game", the indoctrination of challenge rating.

I'm not sure why more publishers do not make modules with the idea of scaling up for more players rather than scaling down. Frankly I think it is easier to scale up by adding one or two more additional monsters of that type or increasing trap damage by one or more dice.

Anyhow, let me throw my vote in for solo adventures and/or adventures for 1-2 players.
Vlark
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Vlark »

These aren't for DCCRPG, but you should check out Pacesetter Game's I-Series. Bill Barsh has come up with a creative way to play a module solo:

http://www.pacesettergames.com/i1-grave ... flam1.html

http://www.pacesettergames.com/i2beblwa.html
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Wait.....By "solo adventures" do you mean adventures for one character, or adventures that do not require a judge? Because, if you mean the former, DCC does that very well, IMHO.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Moderated Solo games work great and I think that the "choose your own adventure" will work just great as well due to the DCC Luck mechanism in particular, I just haven't had a chance to try it. Luck offers the last ditch effort, a lucky shot to the happy sacks, or the way out less travelled becomes clear...:)
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Mythic Games Master Emulator system works well for choose-your-own-adventure style gaming
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”