Quick Question about Sailors and "Tomb of the Fallen"

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

foot land-raker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Quick Question about Sailors and "Tomb of the Fallen"

Post by foot land-raker »

Is the tomb sealed a BOTH ends with two different stone, rune covered portals? The map makes it look like its only on the end that leads to B but not to 1-1.
I am joined with no foot-land rakers, no long-staff sixpenny strikers, none of these mad mustachio purple-hued malt-worms; but with nobility and tranquillity, burgomasters and great oneyers...
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Quick Question about Sailors and "Tomb of the Fallen"

Post by Harley Stroh »

As written, if you come at it from the backside, it is bane free. Which in retrospect, seems a mistake.

Bane away! We need new banes from the other side.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Harley Stroh wrote:As written, if you come at it from the backside, it is bane free. Which in retrospect, seems a mistake.

Bane away! We need new banes from the other side.

//H
I don't think of that as a bug, but as a feature!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Harley,

I've just read this module last week. It stands up to your typical great work! Good job buddy!

As you may have seen in my feeble posts here over the last month, I'm really trying to get back into my one real hobby. It has been a very long couple of years.

As far as a bane for the back way into this tomb, since it was to be hidden from the forces of law and good, I would suggest having the back way in covered by a rune that makes all who see the back entrance, and fail their save (-2 for those who are lawful) forget the passage even exists.
lukash
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by lukash »

I have both sides "baned." The players are scared to death of the door. They found one side when the wall collapsed.
22 Start / 3 Dead / 6 Wounded / Portal Under the Stars
12 Start / 3 Dead / 0 Wounded / Sailors on the Starless Sea (not finished)
josemasaga
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by josemasaga »

By the way, what does the "P" and the "H" stand for on the encounter table? Maybe it's been answered before, but I can't find it...
I'm a bookseller at Phlogiston books (Purveyor of fine wares for the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game since 2015 by appointment to Bobugbubilz) a division of Other Selves
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

josemasaga wrote:By the way, what does the "P" and the "H" stand for on the encounter table? Maybe it's been answered before, but I can't find it...
Puzzle and hazard. I guess we should explain that somewhere. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Richie
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Richie »

goodmangames wrote:
Puzzle and hazard. I guess we should explain that somewhere. :)
I was wondering the thing. Glad it's been asked and answered :D
midges
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by midges »

Hi!
Seems like I can't figure out (probably I overread it?) where that south-east entrance to the tomb comes from? From 1-1? The text doesnt mention it...
If that assumption is correct, is the passage from 1-1 obvious or shall it rather be hidden?
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Post by Judge Perky »

Side question: Harley, were you expecting characters to have leveled up to 1st before reaching the Starless Sea, or after the adventure only?
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Stretch
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Stretch »

Not Harley, but I from what I have read on the forums and what I do is to level them up before the Sea.

It's not something I usually like to do, as I prefer them to level up at the end of a session rather than in the middle, but I look at this module as an intro to all the greatness that is DCC. A funnel adventure that lets you experience all that glory as well as an adventure that changes and lets you see what playing a first level character in the game is like without having to wait another week or two for the next game session.

After running this, all funnels from then on get leveled up after the adventure. This one is the taste of the purple tentacle that gets them coming back for more.

Hope that helps.
-Stretch
If you survive a crucible you grow the stronger for it. - Arrow.
jrodman
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by jrodman »

Also if you don't level them up, it's pretty much a guaranteed wipe.

And if you're the kind of DM who enjoys a wipe, think how much sweeter is for them to go down as level 1s.
Playdead
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Playdead »

Hey, everyone! Brand-new to the forums. I ran two sessions of last year's Free RPG Day scenario at my FLGS last summer and am now preparing for my first funnel next weekend. Just happens to be Sailors!

I am having some second thoughts on scenario choice. In part because it is pretty lengthy. More importantly, I have wondered if zero-levels can actually survive the whole thing! This evening, I saw this thread...

So should I just run the first half, level everyone up, then hold the second half for another time? Run the entire thing and hope for survivors? Switch to another scenario? If that, any suggestions? Have looked at a few that seem pretty...brief.

Thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

Dan
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I am running it for the third time now, and I have decided to level them up at the start of our second session. This group cleared the keep and is about to head below. Many are at 7 or 8 xp, so I will just bump them to 10 at the start, instead of getting one encounter in and then grinding to a halt to do that. I will report how it goes.
Playdead
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Playdead »

Thanks! I did decide to run a different funnel for that first one. Might run Sailors as a Level One since I really like the scenario.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”