Looking for a non-dungen crawl adventure

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

vivsavage
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Looking for a non-dungen crawl adventure

Post by vivsavage »

Sorry for my ignorance, but are there published adventures that aren't dungeon crawls? I'm looking for stuff with wilderness travel & encounters, cities & towns, etc.

Apart from that question, are there any adventures that are intended to form an epic campaign?
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Looking for a non-dungen crawl adventure

Post by boneguard »

Not really...it is called Dungeon Crawl Classic after all.

That being said.
DCC1 Idyll of the Rat King (DCC27 Revenge of the Rat king) focus in mine and sewer as their Dungeon;
DCC 7 The Secret of the Smuggler Cove focus in a sea cave near a village;
DCC 10 The Sunless Garden focus in a cave system in a forest;

And I'm sure there,s some more.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Thick Skull has Larvik Island, which is a mixture of wilderness and dungeon, and Attack of the Frawgs, which is mostly wilderness. You may also find some usable material in Mystic Bull's In The Prison of the Squid Sorcerer.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Thanks for the plug, Raven_Crowking.

I'd also recommend Doom of the Savage Kings--fabulous adventure with much of the action taking place in and around the small town of Hirot.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

If you asking about DCC RPG adventures ( boneguard is addressing some old 3E adventures) most of the adventures put out recently are not dungeon crawls:

Bride of the Black Manse, (republished) Doom of the Savage Kings, Courts of Chaos, & Fates Fell Hand definitely not dungeon crawls.

The up coming Chained coffin and Perils on a Purple planet could added added to this list.

Others like Jewels of the Carnifex, Blades against Death, The Sea Queen Escapes and Colossus Arise might have dungeons of sorts but I'm not sure I would call them dungeon crawls either.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
vivsavage
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vivsavage »

Doug Kovacs wrote:If you asking about DCC RPG adventures ( boneguard is addressing some old 3E adventures) most of the adventures put out recently are not dungeon crawls:

Bride of the Black Manse, (republished) Doom of the Savage Kings, Courts of Chaos, & Fates Fell Hand definitely not dungeon crawls.

The up coming Chained coffin and Perils on a Purple planet could added added to this list.

Others like Jewels of the Carnifex, Blades against Death, The Sea Queen Escapes and Colossus Arise might have dungeons of sorts but I'm not sure I would call them dungeon crawls either.
Those sound perfect, thank you. Are there any 'campaigns', or perhaps plans for a campaign series?
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

I'm not sure I would call them a "campaign" but Mike Curtis had been play testing an adventure that has three or four parts. He could speak more to that himself.
It's still in the distance though, because Chained Coffin & Perils on the Purple Planet aren't complete yet.

If you look around the forum I think a few people have strung existing adventures together for campaigns… I know many people have, I'm just not sure how much is documented on the forums.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

…...and now that I think about it Harley Stroh's Jewels of the Carnifex and Blades against death tie together as city based adventures. They might also be combined with Emirikol was framed and The Jeweler that dealt in Stardust (also city games) which was on the free rpg day module in 2012 free rpg day and the past years Gen Con Program book.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Seconding all the suggestions made above. We don't have any specific "adventure path" style releases yet, but there are lots of interesting options for a judge to choose from. We should start a thread with judge-suggested APs ... ala "This is ho I'd link my DCC campaign."

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

There's been a natural progression away from strictly dungeon crawls with the Goodman DCC RPG adventures. It almost mimics what happened with TSR's D&D adventures in the early days of the hobby. Dungeons are easy starting points to drop into campaigns, but as time goes on (and campaigns persist--some have been running 2+ years now), everybody wants more. And when I say "everybody" I mean not only players and judges, but those of use writing the darned things!

As Doug points out, the most recently published adventures and those in the pipeline are less dungeon-centric and more wide open. Both Harley's "Purple Planet" and my "Chained Coffin" are hex crawls, albeit ones that go beyond Hex "#5621: 10 Orcs (h.p. 6 each) with a wheelbarrow full of pies."

I'm working on a four-part adventure series right now that, if all goes according to plan, will be a secondary campaign that plays out during the main campaign. It's not an adventure path-style series where each part occurs right after the other, but rather an adventure that occurs in the background and rears its ugly head every now and then. Like everything we do with DCC, I'm trying to take the typical expectations in fantasy gaming and turn them on their ear. Joseph and I are still working out the particulars for the four-parter, but I'm confident it will turn up down the road after we clear the pipeline of the next barrage of adventures.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I am looking forward to all of the coming adventures published...the work of all the DCC adventure authors continues to get better with each one published! Keep up the good work!
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

dont forget daniel bishop's tales from unlit shore - faery tale inspired adventure path from purple duck games.
Santa Barbarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Santa Barbarian »

Not a Crawl? Doom of the Savage Kings is definitely a crawl. It also coincidentally, has a lot of opportunities for role playing and interaction. I got the party there using Perils of the Sunken City and Sender along with the standing stones outside of Hirot, but the King's Road in Savage Kings can lead into a port in the Norseman's tradition. There is a lot that can be done with the ruling Jarl. And his adviser is also a great source of adventure. Its a good solid crawl, too. Once the stage is set, there is a lot to work with if you can tease it out.
Santa Barbarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Santa Barbarian »

If I may also suggest, you can look at mysteries as a genre and try to use those elements for a campaign or a scenario. DCC Legend of the Ripper comes to mind. But I'll warn you that I spent a lot of time creating scenarios so that I could be asked, "Could we do a DCC type crawl?" In the end, having a non-crawl aspect to the campaign had to be woven in carefully. Having people look for the dungeon to crawl into is one thing, not having a dungeon to crawl into is like not having a bad guy to punish/kill or not being able to rebel against the establishment and steal the crown jewels or seduce the princess.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”