Chained Coffin discussion on Designers & Discourses

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Chained Coffin discussion on Designers & Discourses

Post by michaelcurtis »

I had the pleasure of helping kick off a new podcast that allows designers to speak in depth about some of their work and the inspiration behind it. In this first episode, we discussed "The Chained Coffin" at length, delving into the origin of the adventure, adapting Manly Wade Wellman for fantasy RPGs, and similar interesting tidbits. If you're the type who likes to peek behind the scene and see the dirty process of making magic, this podcast is for you.

Link is here.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Blutimate
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Chained Coffin discussion on Designers & Discourses

Post by Blutimate »

Hey awesome! I'll listen to this on my way to work on Tuesday.
Blutimate
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blutimate »

Okay, done listening to it.

I like that this was more of an extended interview format without the traditional breaks found in other podcasts the interviewer has created before.

I enjoyed hearing about your inspirations from literature as I myself hold an English degree. I also like how you divided the creators into the "Johnny Appleseeds" and the "farmers".

Good first podcast about game design. Thanks for sharing. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes discussing the mechanics of adventure, setting creation, and folklore. I had passed over your Chained Coffin adventure, thinking it was one of the megadungeons that don't fit this system as you have said before. Now that I have heard all that was said about it, I will surely check it out, because I was just wrong.

Any chance that you can post the original wheel plans (before they were altered) so that it works as you had intended?

David Rose

P.S.-Between the Pines by Leadbelly was haunting and amazing. Great recommendation!
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Blutimate wrote:Okay, done listening to it.

Any chance that you can post the original wheel plans (before they were altered) so that it works as you had intended?
The thing is that the original wheel plans weren't designed to be used at the table, but rather to give Doug an idea of what I was shooting for. They're not suitable for actual play by any means simply because one look at them and the puzzle is solved. You'd just pick the obvious images that I drew rather than the #, $, @, etc. that I used for place-holders. Some things are best left on the cutting room floor!
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
xmiyux
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Lost Legion: The Vault

Post by xmiyux »

Great episode that absolutely whetted my appetite even more for the box set.

Then I got the set this afternoon and have been devouring it. One of these days I want to meet Michael Curtis, shake his hand, and personally thank him. I can't rave enough about how fantastic it was to see little bits of my childhood showing up in the story. From the language used, to the power of hawthorn, to the sin eater - it just made me smile and wish my granddad was still alive so I could show him some of the things.

Well done and I hope to buy more adventures and things in this setting.
Troy812
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Troy812 »

That was a great show. Wish I would have gotten the whole boxed set now...

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”