Suggestions for Frazettian Sword & Sorcery DCC modules

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Re: Suggestions for Frazettian Sword & Sorcery DCC modules

Post by CapnZapp »

The next adventure I've found is The Red Prophet Rises. This one is not for DCC but for "For Gold & Glory" but if you know THAC0 13 means +7 and AC 5 means AC 15 you're good to go.

I mean to add notes to this post on my conversion, but right now I want to talk about the hook. I read the module previously, and yes, it definitely is Sword & Sorcery, but I passed it over because I couldn't see the roleplaying potential or the hook.

Now however, I will say that yesterday rumors started circulating about a large caravan being raided (in whatever nearby city the heroes are currently hung-over in). This morning the High-King is making a proclamation: A great caravan from XYZ has been raided, and that its greatest prize is his bride-to-be, Princess Elara. The High-King proclaims that the man who returns the Princess alive and well will be pardoned from all crime and be given his weight in gold... At least now I know how to use this module! :D

So first there can be minor investigation where the PCs rush to find one of the survivors that yesterday reached the city and started the rumors. They need to beat other rivals as well as the High-King's men.
- the first man was a merchant traveling with the caravan. He immediately celebrated making it to civilization alive by talking freely about all the wealth to anyone who buys him wine. The heroes will find him robbed and murdered in an alley (he did not actually bring any gold with him, he just made the fatal mistake of making cutthroats think that he did)
- the second man was a guard who proceeded to spend whatever loot he picked up on wine and women. This will ultimately be a dead-end since Adam did not stick around long enough to learn the identity of the raiders, but the heroes can still chase down the string of women he partied with last night to see where he went next and if he told them anything. The first girl Mya says he was an enthusiastic lover that did not discuss much of anything. Once they reached the next tavern, he went with Rosie, who says he was celebrating escaping with his life, and he got her very drunk. They should ask her friend Tanya next - she supplied a few euphorics but confesses she might have brought too many, he did her over so many times she had to ask Newli to take over. Newli fondly remembers Adam, and that yes, he did talk about raiders and blood and stuff, but then started to slur as if drunk and she had to most of the work herself. Afterwards she got Gwen to help get him into bed, but she hasn't seen Gwen today. Gwen is the last girl, and will flatly tell them he was very drunk and very boorish, and when he forced himself upon her, she simply waited until he fell asleep and stuck her dagger into his back.
- the third lead is that a slaver boasts of his new prize, Oneika is an exotic slave captive from a faraway land that the slaver claims "saw it all". She actually was part of the dowry. If the party purchases her (they can get a great price if they hint that the slaver might end up in the dungeons for "stealing" the High King's property) she tells her story: Her cage fell off a wagon and she managed to sneak away before the others were rounded up. She can say one raider caught her, and that he said he worshipped the "Bull God", but she managed to "win him over" to the extent he deserted his fellows, intending to take her and start a new life. Alas, he got an arrow in the back when they ran away, but lived long enough to successfully hide her and then draw away the others. When she reached the city, she realized that wearing only a slave collar and not looking like the locals, she would not be able to sneak past the guards. That's why she approached a nice-looking young nobleman asking if he would smuggle her into the city in exchange for her cooperation. However, after having his way with her, she realized he was double-crossing her when the slaver's men entered and grabbed her. If they promise to kill Lord Nrathis of House Gewli she will be in their debt. (Of course, technically she's their slave at this point but I digress).
- the fourth lead is another guard, who is dying from wounds during the raid. By now he's delirious and obviously talking nonsense. "There were war elephants and they were led by a magnificent Priestess with a long trunk for a nose" (all false and probably just religious imagery) But his wife Ketarr, who sneaked away with the stuff he carried, including a goblet (50 gp), can when forced at knifepoint tell them what the guard told her - [insert details about the raiders and where they were taking the Princess]. Her reason for taking the stuff is to pawn it, she's heavily in debt with an unsavory inn keeper named Celdis. If the party keeps the goblet from her, they will hear about her strangled body later (as well as the death of the guard).
- the fifth lead is just a trap. An entrepreneurish street gang hires a luxury courtesan to pretend she was part of the caravan and has information. Heroes will be ambushed, and a three way brawl will ensue. Heroes vs thugs vs the courtesan and her men. The courtesan is also a thief on the side, and when she realized there might be gold to be gained by taking this stuff to the High King she got greedy. Obviously she did not take into account how the thugs failed to limit their ploy to a single mark.
- the sixth lead is a young terrified boy. His fear has saved his life so far, since he's hiding in one cellar or another only emerging before dawn to scrounge up some food. Now, however, he's desperate and puts his money on one of the less fearsome heroes (one that actively participates in the clue search). He can tell them everything they need to know.

The first few leads basically leads nowhere but obviously they will catch up to someone still alive that can give them the crucial clues: who are the raiders and where to look for their camp. (That is the Bull God cultists and the canyon of the adventure). In the list above that would be lead #4 with lead #6 as the fall-back option should the party find itself in serious risk of missing the whole adventure...

Note: unless they ruthlessly kill their informant (or perhaps better, comes up with something clever other gangs will later learn the same info - and be hot on their heels to complicate matters. Maybe the heroes are attacked while still on their way. Maybe they need to take out the rivals once they stake out the cultist camp, before the others bungle an escape attempt in their gold-frenzy.

This gives the module a clear goal: To find and get away with the Princess.::! Unless and unless, of course, they realize they need to stop the cult from summoning the Obsidian Lord.

This should make it more likely there will be some infiltration and/or role-play, at least until they find out where the Princess is held (because if they attack before that time, who's to say the Princess won't be sacrificed?)

This also allows me a cool complication: the Princess doesn't want to get married! She's a free spirit and can become a capable warrior and she wants neither to go to the High King nor go back to her father in XYZ. She offers the heroes her entire dowry (which is here, looted by the raiders) if they escape and set her free. She even suggests taking one of her three maids and present her as the Princess; she's fairly sure the High King doesn't actually know what she looks like.

(There should only be at most a 50%-50% chance for gold versus death here, remember that DCC players might gladly risk the life of one of their characters if there's potential for that much gold. If you play a more traditional one-hero-per-player campaign, you can of course increase this, but personally I wouldn't - after all "more riches than you could ever want" isn't exactly how you motivate your heroes to keep on adventuring. In DCC however, you COULD even say one batch of heroes retire having "won" at adventure, if the players feel it is most fitting to roll up a new batch for subsequent adventures, perhaps even at the same experience level) Cue the choice between a) the timid maid that is the most likely to pass as a Princess both in body and in manners (except she does not want that life and will attempt to seduce a hero to have him take her away), b) the brazen maid that definitely wants a life of wealth and luxury and won't mind it if the High King turns out to be old or cruel (except while she has the body she's crude and crass and won't easily pass for high nobility) and the loyal maid, the "middle choice" who doesn't have the looks of a Princess but will gladly do everything (including sacrificing her life) for the Princess.

Assuming all three maids can be spared from sacrifice, that is! (I have not yet made up my mind where to best place these)

Addendum: As a last resort, there should be clues at the site of the attack. Describe the ruins of a great caravan, with scores of dead, some not just stabbed or hacked to death, but with gruesome injuries (to foreshadow the blood magics of the Cult). Most of the defenders are male, since the soldiers of the Princess' honor guard are male, and most caravan guards are male too. But of course there's the occasional body of a female cook or washer woman. As for the attackers there is a noticeable amount of female cultists/acolytes among the fallen raiders. In the middle of the caravan the bodies pile up high as the soldiers defended the Princess' honor to the last man; each soldier taking half a dozen raiders with him in death.

if you feel particularly gruesome you can have one or three combatants still clinging to life even though it's likely been two weeks since the battle. Maybe they can find a raider that will provide crude directions in return for ending his or her life. (Remember: fanatics are seldom concerned with the prospect of getting found out or losing) Perhaps more straightforwardly, they come across not just animal scavengers. For example, when they spread out to sift through the carnage, one hero turns a corner to suddenly be face to face with 1d4: 1) a middle-aged goat herder, 2) his peasant wife in her thirties, 3) a younger man* or 4) the oldest child, a teenage daughter. Altogether it's a family of nine (with five younger Oliver Twistian kids) that out of desperation dares to scavenge for valuables. The goat herder is prepared to fight using his pathetic staff, and the feisty young daughter draws a dagger. But they quickly realize there are more than just one hero, and surrender without a fight. The husband tries to explain in a hard-to-understand dialect they offer whatever stuff they have collected (1d100 gp) as well as information about where the raiders could have come from if they can leave safely. As a last resort he offers up his daughter to them if the heroes spare his remaining children. (She reacts with a mixture of consternation and exhilaration) I mean, the heroes probably aren't interested in killing defenseless peasants, but said peasants don't know that.
*) The family was in debt with their village lord, who offered to write off their debts if the wife agreed to dump her husband and marry his nephew. Thing is, this young man was kind-hearted and understood the wife loved her husband, despite him not being able to give her any children. So for the last 15 years or so they've all formed an ever-growing family. Why these peasants have fallen upon hard times recently I don't know. But of course the easy answer is that a raid from the Red Prophet wiped out their village...

---

So about the "your weight in gold" thing... First off, DCC appears to not change the weight and size of D&D coins, so in d20 the standard is 50 coins per avoirdupois pound.

So if they send a beefy warrior to collect, that could easily be 220 x 50 = 11,000 gp or more. If your players will instantly spend this on luxury villas, huge tracts of land, or whatnot, then everything is fine.

But carousing it all up on the Balthazar tables, well, that won't work for obvious reasons unless you're fine with bleeding those tables dry and everybody leveling up possibly more than once.

Remember, I have added three maids that each could impersonate the princess with a varying degree of success - if they don't bring the actual princess against her will (actually they probably need to Charm her to make that work). My baseline is a 50% chance of success (or the hero or heroes will be killed).

But really I hope the players will agree skipping ahead levels will just rob them of adventure and make my job harder (since low level adventures are now out of bounds), so if they want property, titles, and so on, I will probably make success more likely and reduce the penalty for failure.

Of course, the easiest solution is for them to skip this reward and just go for the loot, which I have calibrated to be enough to pay for one weeks' worth of carousing for every hero.

Zapp

PS. I realized the conversion notes will be somewhat copious, so I put them in a thread of their own:

https://goodman-games.com/forums/viewto ... 60&t=49432
Last edited by CapnZapp on Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

Had our first session last night - went really great! :)

The heroes split up (remember, each character can choose between 3 heroes) to investigate, including a few leads I didn't even think of above.

Some heroes followed the (literally) dead end leads with the stupid merchant and wounded guard. One hero purchased Oneika (who is one of the most helpful sources of information) and not only set her free, but chose to adopt her as his new PC :) Her random stats weren't super-great, but weren't bad either, and he appears to plan making a Thief out of her. (For some reason this would make three out of three female thieves in this campaign)

Thanks to some luck they avoided the thugs and their trap, and since they had enough info from Oneika I could fast-forward the long (and ridiculous) hunt for "Adam" the barbarian that chose to burn out than fade away. The warrior that interviewed all these girls considered inviting all of them over for a party, but there was no time for that - off they go.

When they reached Red Canyon, one thief and one raider sneaked in and slaughtered the three drunk guards. But then they chose to infiltrate the camp; they didn't comfortable just attacking since they knew the camp must be sizeable (or they couldn't have attacked the Princess' caravan).

Lots of fun small encounters: flower-power cultists (as scripted by the adventure text! :) ) handing out flower garlands (made out of Crimson Tear flowers, so Giselle the Raider is now "under the influence" though noone has realized this just yet), Shakira the Thief rolling a "1" when trying to snoop around the Overseer's cave and promptly getting into a lovemaking session she is not soon to forget (she probably could have tried to escape but didn't want to risk an alarm), the chicken-hating shaman getting into a shouting match with the heroes, they nearly stumbling right into the throne room right away, Ronanga getting invited to watch the blood sports in the company of the very guards that went to investigate the disappearance of the entrance guards... :mrgreen:

So far they haven't freed any of the slaves or even found the Princess' maids. There's plenty of caves left to explore, but they do have a sense of scope of the place. They ended the session by killing off the guards in area #2 while everyone watch the Champion matches; we'll see if they go further with that.
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

A short summary:

The adventure is over. After the initial sneak-around, the bulk of the heroes went room by room clearing out cultists (i.e. the southwestern part of the map). When they realized the Red Prophet lived in the south-eastern caverns they went there right away, and had a big fight. They won quite handily, only one hero was downed (but immediately healed back up on his feet) but it's hard to conclude the NPC stats were too easy - with less good luck on the dice and maybe a fool-hardy movement or two, things could easily have become much hairier. If anything I would say the simplified magic I used for NPCs could use more area effects instead of just impacting single PCs (but my idea was that the PCs would face so very many foes to make single-targetting magic feasible).

After defeating Khazra they kind-of retreated down below to the secret alchemy lab. It took them quite some time to explore the "downstairs", mostly because they REALLY didn't want to fight the great serpent, and then didn't want to face the remaining Cult.

In this play-thru they never faced Luvag and so never got to understand he would let them leave as a thank-you for deposing Khazra so he could become leader. They climbed out of the Red Canyon in the "back", the room with Crimson Tear plants growing on a cliff side. There was one final fight, but one Fighter PC wielded Khazra's sword in conjunction with another magic item that pretty much let him one-shot any foe. Again pure happenstance (such as the interaction between movement and initiative) meant they didn't take that much damage.

A considerable time was spent on planning how to approach the High-King for the "your weight in gold" reward. In the end they settled for handing in a "fake princess" (one of the maids, the "brazen" one that actually wanted a life of luxury), and settled for property and titles instead of "cash", since that would just have meant carousing up a level, making it that much harder for me to provide level-appropriate scenarios...

If I would GM this thing again, I would probably make it less easy/obvious to get to Khazra. The adventure reads as if the author's have only played with the kind of players that always take the methodical approach to clearing out dungeons; always turning left and then going clock-wise... ;) (It could also be that their intention was that more than one or two heroes should be unable to traverse the open ground; if so I didn't quite get that memo.) Maybe station a large and fearsome guardian monster right outside the left entrance to the Throne Room complex, to encourage heroes to experience the entire module...?

Anyway, the Conan the Barbarian vibe was good and strong, and the fact the heroes "got away easy" isn't exactly a big deal - I don't force my players to always railroad the whole dungeons, I'm just saying it could have a wee bit challenging to do the obvious short-cut...

Verdict: Would Recommend.
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Post by BaophraT »

Alright, sorry I only just realized that you had detailed the subject at length here. I will take the time to read your remarks carefully (even if my campaign universe is not howardian, I am very interested). Do you have a blog or a site where your creations / adaptations would be present ?
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

I think these forums would be an excellent spot to share ideas and discuss issues! :)

(Either this thread or a new one)

I try to visit at least once a week now that I'm actively gamesmastering DCC.

Cheers!
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

Let me reiterate how amazing DCC works for this particular genre of role-playing (not sure what you'd call it; for the lack of an established term I'm calling it "Frazettan Sword & Sorcery") :)

Initially my plan was to experience a funnel and then go back to one hero per player, with just maybe each hero having a helping hand to carry the torches if nothing else. But my players quickly bonded with all their surviving heroes, so we ended up with something resembling troupe play.

Each player has three characters, all fully statted out and ready to play.

In most cases, no more than two heroes per player are actively adventuring. Sometimes just one, sometimes all three, but in normal circumstances most players will bring and actively direct two heroes. The remaining characters can still be physically present - after all, they're partly there as potential reinforcements should a hero die or become temporarily disabled. But I hand out two batches of experience points to each player, meaning that when the game suggests I hand out 3 XP, each player receives 3 XP for each of his two heroes or 3+3 XP in total. When I award 4 XP, that's 4+4 XP. And so on. The player is normally expected to give these XP to the active heroes, but he is allowed to give one batch to the inactive "torchbearing" character. This allows a low-level third character to catch up in level, and I saw no reason to micromanage the player in this regard. Hopefully I don't have to say you can't give both batches of XP to the SAME character. If 3 XP is given, any given character can at most recieve 3 XP, it's just that 6 XP is handed out for distribution over all three characters...

This would not have worked in a more complicated game, where a battlemap is mandatory.

Furthermore, the Carousing Tables (I use the Knights of the North ones myself) have enabled a lot of hilarious small events for the characters that flesh out their personalities between adventures, plus they're super appropriate for sword & sorcery play where the ultimate goal of adventuring is to procure gold you can then convert into wine, women and song :)

This is the current roster of 15 heroes (3 heroes times 5 players). Every single of these began life as a level zero character; now they are between level 2 and 4. Oneika, Tamara (Morgan renamed), and Ymae are originally NPC characters met through adventure (that is, creations of a scenario), and later recruited as player-controlled heroes.

Bayarma - female Wizard and Astrologer. A slight bookish woman, Bayarma is an acolyte of inscrutable Mog'Malu, something that so far has only caused her trouble rather than any benefits. In her unceasing efforts to build an apparatus to behold her master in the skies, she was cursed to become stone during nightfall (an inconvenience for most, but rather frustrating for Bayarma). In her desperation to get rid of this curse, she was nearly sacrificed naked to Yaathra Yok the Elephant God before being rescued by a handsome smith she's currently smitten with.
Brutus - male Warrior. A steppe barbarian with a classic mindset. Loves his bearskin he found in the Tomb of the Ulfheonar** that gives him impressive martial skills while wounded. A notable requirement is that he wears nothing else, no other armor or even clothing; proudly exposing himself to anyone that cares to look. Most recently performed at a gala outcompeting an exotic Man-Ape for the ladies' attention... Accepted courageous Morgan** in marriage as a reward from her father for preventing the town's Jarl** from sacrificing her to the Hound of Hirot**.
Geögi - male Raider*. A sinewy man whose luck in finding the most gold has become legendary. Easily as rich as all his friends combined. Also had a chance encounter with a certain Jeanie the Genie that resulted not only in some sexy times but a Wish that he immediately could cash in for a cool +100 XP (through an insane combo of Carousing results).
Giselle - female Raider*. Cute somewhat naive girl who tends to catch the attention of assorted males. Sometimes unwanted, more often welcomed. At one time nearly died to the semi-sensuous attention of a hungry man-eating plant she gladly gave herself to after fumbling her Will Save. Currently entangled with a couple of the city's noblemen, at least one of which is falling madly in love with her.
Lord Gyf - male Warrior. Rather unintelligent, but his sentient Sword Nightraker that once belonged to Ivrian the Sorceress, keep him ambitious for evermore. Lord because the gang managed to rescue a buxom Princess from the clutches of the Red Prophet and his cult of Bull-God fanatics. Since the Princess relished her freedom and wanted to become a Pirate Queen rather than return as the bridal gift, the gang managed to sell one of her maids as the princess. They were promised their champion's weight in gold, but they prudently asked "only" for a mansion and a title, plus enough wine to last a month. Hence Gyf now calling himself "Lord". Nightraker was even pleased if only for a while... Going steady with Y.
Hakim - male Cultist*. Unimaginative taxcollector and Lotus addict turned Bobugbubilz Cultist. Unsavoury manners and lives by the "Any table with a dish on it is your feasting table" code. Probably the most effective character, thanks to his mastery of the Color Spray spell and how he can cast it through his Toad familiar he has Giselle carry around for him.
Khatuma - female Cleric of Zadj, the Living Flame. Serious young woman with a propensity for falling for temptation. Lost out of the most recent adventure because of her uncontrolled carousing. Very strict and unforgiving towards enemies when sober.
Leja - female Thief. Having lost her siblings (the player started out generating triplets, but two of them died before leveling up or shortly thereafter) she's possibly the hero least interested in gold and carousing. Carries daggers charged with the dark energies of cannibalistic butchering. Has accepted a Necromancer's assistance in giving her a stronger faster hand even at the price of its flesh falling off, becoming skeletal.
Oneika - female Thief. A former pleasure-slave, part of the Princess' dowry. Geögi paid for her freedom only to give it to her for free (both characters are obviously played by the same player) Found she had a knack for the Thief persuasion, being curious and fearless, and almost immediately fell under the influence of the Bhazir, an obscure snake-headed assassin goddess. During this encounter, Oneika swore fealty to the Bhazir, became Chaotic, and gained the power to transform into a Giant Cobra!
Shakira - female Thief. Happy-go-lucky personality. Possibly the character with the most (mis)adventures. A petite but curvy woman that initially struggled in combat because of her feeble Strength. Has suffered the curse of a god for touching forbidden treasures, fallen off a roof, stumbled into the cave of a libidinous Man-Ogre, being tricked into the embrace of noblemen, being robbed by rapists (that later Leja made short work of), become Queen at "The Bound Slave" a seedy entertainment palace that offers blood sports, and more... This last feat, where Shakira fearlessly took part in a series of archery duels to defeat three competitors in a row impressed one of the city's lords sufficiently to now maintain her as a mistress.
Morgan** - female Soldier*. Tavern keep's daughter destined to slake the hunger of the Hound of Hirot. Married to Brutus who is an exhibitionist thug, but a freakishly well-endowed thug. Has kept a relatively low profile so far (i.e. the player has focused more on Brutus and Shakira than her, which is perfectly fine).
Theodor - male Cleric. Started life as a Scholar making a pilgrimage on the same road as the heroes just when one player had one character die. Worships the lawful Ahyada. Started out timid, but is showing his worth more and more. Married to the inscrutable Ymae; rather worried what would happen should he be unfaithful to her.
Tulani - male Soldier*. Large black*** man. The most imposing figure of the group and probably the best fighter. Has a thing for adultery; is unmarried himself but always actively on the look-out for unsuspecting wives to corrupt. (I offer a random table of motivations and flaws, and the player rolled "adulterer" for Tulani.) Currently trying to insult an important Captain of the Guard by stealing his mistress from right underneath his nose, hoping for a proper duel to the death.
Y - female Cleric to the Wolf God. A feral orphan that made her living as a nude dancing girl before she was thrown into the catacombs when the campaign started. Finds strength in the pack, of which she's the alpha female of course. Has saved the group's bacon on more than one occasion. Views Gyf more like a f*ck-buddy rather than fully fledged buyfriend material, but lets him think she's into him as much as he's into her.
Ymae - female Wizard (or Witch, to be more exact). Ymae's past is shrouded in mystery. All the group knows is that Ymae was an old white-haired crone that demanded a hero's hand in marriage if she were to help them. Theodor accepted this, and when he returned it was to a buxom young lovely woman of fair skin and golden hair. Ymae and Theodor are thus married. Ymae has been given three defensive powers, all related to her long hair. Thus far, Ymae has adventured the least, so most of the character's potential is ahead.

*) I am using Marzio Muscedere's EXCELLENT suggestions on how to reskin the demihuman races for use in a humanocentric world: somewhat simplified; Soldiers have the abilities of DCC Dwarves, Raiders have the abilities of DCC Halflings, and Cultists have the abilities of DCC Elves.
**) I have reskinned these titles, locations etc to match my campaign's Near-Eastern-ish setting, but are using the original names here for the benefit of DCC veterans :)
***) I am aware I do not mention the complexity of most characters' skin. Assume dusky or brown being the default. Only Tulani and Ymae stand out as clearly "black" (East/Central African) and "white" (Caucasian/Scandinavian), respectively.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”