It Consumes! Questions

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MajorLeeAwesome
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Red Raccoon Games

It Consumes! Questions

Post by MajorLeeAwesome »

Here are my Qs:

1) In the final scene at the lake, The Stuf begins with 5 action dice, but the text only describes it doing 1 thing at first (the big slam). Should it take that action 5 times, or are the 5 action dice considered a reserve (because it only gets action dice back on a 5-6) and it should only be taking 1 action a round? Either way, this combat seems like a TPK for a 2nd-level party.

2) What kind of damage would you say the heavy gauntlets with pickaxe tips (that do 3d3+Str damage against stone with a DC13 Strength check) do against living opponents?

Thanks!
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: It Consumes! Questions

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

I will harken the author to this thread to see if he can answer...
SonOvThrain
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Don't know yet...

Post by SonOvThrain »

Hey! Thorin here! Let me see if I can answer your questions!

1) The Stuf has 5 action dice, so on the first round it can do 5 total actions (not of them need to be rolled).

The Stuf can: use its "wave of doom" attack (1 action die), "bashing tendrils" attack (1 action dice for each tendril), spend an action die to "spawn 3 sentinels", spend an action die to use "screams of the damned".

On the following round, for each action die it used, it much roll a 5-6 on a d6 to regain that spent action die.

So for example: On round 1 it uses all 5 action dice. At the start of round 2, I roll a d6 for each action die used and get a 2,3,5,6,6. The Stuf only has 3 action dice to use on round 2 and uses them all. On round 3 I roll a d6 for all 5 action die (since they are still all spent) and get 1,1,2,4,6. This round the Stuf only gets to make 1 action. Etc, etc!

2) Good question! So the gauntlets do an average of 4.5 damage to stone, so I would double that for flesh (2d6+3+STR Mod (an average of 9) or up the damage on the dice chain by +1d/+2d depending upon the opponent.

Hope this helps!
Thorin Thompson
Writer / Publisher
Owl Knight Publishing
www.owlknightpublishing.com
MajorLeeAwesome
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Red Raccoon Games

Post by MajorLeeAwesome »

Oh wow! Getting a reply from the author himself! Thanks!

I love the adventure as a whole, but considering all the things The Stuf can do at once, doesn't the final scene seem like a TPK?
SonOvThrain
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Don't know yet...

Post by SonOvThrain »

Glad you like it! And yeah it can easily become a TPK. It is a horror module after all! But the objective is to bury the Stuf by breaking down the columns holding the cavern up (using some of the items the PCs hopefully found through-out the adventure or by playing smart and donning some robes to sneak in and plant bombs, etc). If your players are getting the hint, maybe have the Stuf accidently run an tendril around a column that causes it to begin breaking.

That said, depending on how many PCs there are you can easily reduce the Stuf's action die to 3 instead. Giving them a bit more of a fighting chance!
Thorin Thompson
Writer / Publisher
Owl Knight Publishing
www.owlknightpublishing.com

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”