The Arwich Grinder

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: The Arwich Grinder

Post by drpete »

Eyes wide, Godwin stares at the Very Large Man. Is it dead? Are there others in the pig pen, or can he see the body that the "rib" came from? If it gets back up, Godwin will wack it again.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It does not get back up. The rib has fallen somewhere in the muck of the pen. There is a pig shed visible, troughs for slops, the man-beast, and a few pigs. The far side of the pen is also broken, and it seems likely that a good many pigs have escaped into the woods at this point.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Pratel, Zorathus, Thulan and Balin look over at the large man and notice the marks around his neck. Thulan says, " you know those marks could mean that he had been tied up and just recently broke free. Maybe he was not such a bad man beast after all?"
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Godwin shakes his head. "He was coming for us. He had a man's rib as a weapon... He was not a 'good' man-beast. But I didn't think I would kill him. If we see another, let's be more careful. They are prisoners, not demons." Godwin will go around to the hole in the fence, and look more closely at the man-beast. Does it still have its collar on, and what does that look like? I'm imagining it was chained, so is there still a chain on the collar?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Letting Godwin and his group deal with the pig-pen, Pratel, Zorathus, Thulan and Balin go back over to the well. They secure a rope, two if one is not long enough, to its side and let fall to the bottom. With torch in hand, Thulan heads down the well. "Tell us what you see mate, and be real careful!" Pratel shouts to Thulan as he climbs down the well.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The house seems to be shaped like a large L. Moving around to where the pig pen has already been damaged, Godwin passes a second entrance into the house - a side door conveniently placed for slopping the hogs. Moving through the foul-smelling pigsty, he discovers that the man-beast is indeed wearing what appears to be a leather collar, which once had a lead that has been snapped off. There is, quite literally, nothing else on him.

At the well, there is a stout rope, winch, and bucket already present. The well itself is about 2 1/2 feet wide, so it will be narrow going should you decide that you actually wish to descend this way.

By this time, the others in queue to descend the iron ladder may have done so. If any are elves, the iron stings their hands as they descend - please let me know if this is the case.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Same actions as stated earlier:

Letting Godwin and his group deal with the pig-pen, Pratel, Zorathus, Thulan and Balin go back over to the well. They secure a rope, two if one is not long enough, to its side and let fall to the bottom. With torch in hand, Thulan heads down the well. "Tell us what you see mate, and be real careful!" Pratel shouts to Thulan as he climbs down the well.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Am I to understand that Thulan intends to climb the rope in a narrow space with a torch in one hand?
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Godwin comes over to the edge of the fence the Very Large Man had tried to pull down. "Guys, there's an entrance to the house over here... maybe we should see what's going on in there...?" If he's got company, he'll show them where the door is. If he's all alone now, though, he'll go back around and follow the group over to the well.

With everybody down at the bottom, Milo suggests opening the door to the west. "Probably just a storeroom, but let's be careful."

Bill agrees, noting "Sounds good. This tunnel probably just goes to the smokehouse..."

If no one objects, Robin will open the door.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Am I to understand that Thulan intends to climb the rope in a narrow space with a torch in one hand?
He will descend the well using the rope while the torch will be in the empty water bucket. It will be lowered down as Thulan descends the well :wink: That way he will have a light source and be able to use both hands and feet on the rope.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Robin opens the door to the west, revealing a stone hallway, perhaps 5 feet wide, terminating in another door.

Thulan lowers himself down the rope, which opens into the centre of a chamber, like a chimney. The floor here is damp and slimy from rain coming down through the well. The northeast section of this room contains a large iron sausage grinder with a wooden hopper. There are several bagspiled neatly at hand, as well as several barrels. There is a door to the south, east, and west. The eastern door is in the southeastern corner of the room.
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Robin advances down the hallway, followed by Bill and Milo. When they get to the door, Robin will open it.

Seeing that the people with the torches have left, Godwin will head back over to abbatoir, where he will look around for a light source. There must be a torch or a lantern or something around somewhere, no?
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

Badr Balik snags Godwin's sleeve. "My torch will light the way. Lead on, good sir."

Below, Rogett and Randow Lammerson follow Robin, Bill, and Milo.

Abram Cove looks towards the open hallway they are leaving behind them but says nothing. Instead he brings up the rear with torch held high and club firmly held in the other hand. "Call out if you get into trouble up there, Robin."
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Godwin smiles at Badr. "Terrific! Let's go see what's going on in the house. There's a light on upstairs..."

Robin calls back to Abram "Alright, its good to have friends in a place like this..."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

As you might suppose, the door leads to the room with the well in the ceiling.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Pratel, Zorathus, and Balin, descend the rope and meet up with Thulan. Once are all together they carefully search the room. Leaving nothing unopened nor a wall not felt for secret passage they go about their work. Balin, looking upset mutters out,"now more than ever do I believe these Curwens are up to no good!"
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ooc: I'm a bit lost. Did my group see anything in the dark? or was that the pig pen where the others were?
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

Badr Balik nods in agreement with Godwin's plan and marches up to the front door of the house. "Yes, it is what we should have done in the first place rather than run around like a bunch of looting hooligans. We must give the Curwen's a chance to explain themselves." He knocks loudly on the door.

Down below Abram Cove greets Thulan. "Thulan! How did...? Ah, I see. Well, welcome to the party."

Rogett Lammerson pokes around the sacks and barrels checking to see if they are empty or if they have contents. And, mind filled with the idea of more secret tunnels and passages he moves them aside (if possible) to check under them for more trapdoors.

Randow Lammerson looks at the crowd and decides to check the west door. He moves across the room and opens the door.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Ooc: fireinthedust, I think you would be with/near Godwin and Badr

Godwin is somewhat apprehensive about knocking on the door, but he goes with Badr and prepares to see who or what is home.

Robin smiles at the men coming down the well. "Good to see you guys. Be careful. He and Bill will help look through the things stored down here.

Milo points out "We found a ladder back there... If we need to get back out..." and stands with Randow, ready to see what's behind the door.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Bron the Mercenary: watching Godwin and Badr, Bron and Bandobor will stand cautiously on either side of the door while the other men knock.

Arvanda and Lady Aelfwyn stand well back, yet ready to give aid as needed. The herbalist has herbal remedies on hand to patch up the wounded, or otherwise ease their pain.

Bron motions for the other men to knock. He holds his sword at the ready to take a swing, looking confident in his worn hide armor. Bandobor looks less confident, much quieter, thinking only to strike if trouble comes through the door.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It is going to take some time to do a thorough search, so in the meanwhile, up above:

There is a long porch along the front of the house. To the left of the door, at the far end of the porch are a number of barrels. There is a rocking chair to the right of the door. The door is latched, but there is a rawhide thong that comes through the door to lift the latch from the outside (to "lock" the door, one would pull the thong in from the other side).

At your knock, you think you hear a weak male voice respond, but you cannot make out what it says. And, I suppose, it could be imagination.
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Godwin exclaims "There's someone alive in there!" and opens the door.
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

Rogett and Randow Lammerson and Abram Cove continue their searches and explorations down below with their fellows.

Badr Balik exclaims just a moment after Godwin like a bad echo: "There's someone alive in there!" Since Godwin has beat him to opening the door he calls out reassurances to the voice he thought he heard. "Hold on!"
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:It is going to take some time to do a thorough search, so in the meanwhile, up above:

There is a long porch along the front of the house. To the left of the door, at the far end of the porch are a number of barrels. There is a rocking chair to the right of the door. The door is latched, but there is a rawhide thong that comes through the door to lift the latch from the outside (to "lock" the door, one would pull the thong in from the other side).

At your knock, you think you hear a weak male voice respond, but you cannot make out what it says. And, I suppose, it could be imagination.

Sure, just let me know when their search is over :wink:
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Bron and the others are suspicious, but stand ready nonetheless.

"Careful, could be a trap," the mercenary grunts softly. His blade is ready whenever the others push through the door, in case something attacks (though with cool nerves, as perhaps a fleeing young maid could burst forth as well, and even a hardened man like Bron has no wish to harm an innocent).

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”