The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

Post by Skyscraper »

(Thanks RC.)

Maledict turns to the others.

- There is a tower up ahead. Perhaps the Well of all Wells is in there.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Maledict cannot see the others outside the mound. Will he go back out and tell them what he has discovered?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry walks after Maledict (whether he "disappears" from view or not).

Standing beside Maledict (or once inside), he spends a moment and summons the magic of a Detect Magic spell. Rolled 9, +6 = 15, so just a general idea of magical enchantments within 30'. Lasts for 2 Turns (20 minutes).

Strange crystal growths appear nearby on the walls and floor. He kicks at one or two, irritated.

[Otto the servant stays outside with the horses.]
Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

Jep motions for Kyeena to stay with the mounts and enters with the others.

"Stranger and stranger..." he mutters as he looks around.
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Bloody Jep the Accumulator (chicken butcher Halfling 4); STR 14, AGI 6, STA 17, PER 10, INT 9, LUC 13; Chaotic; AC 14 (Chainmail); HP 29; Dual-wield Handaxes; Blinded Left Eye; Follower of Cadixtat, the chaos Titan
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Hamun Ry walks after Maledict (whether he "disappears" from view or not).
Not yet, he does not. Maledict must decide what to do.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Not yet, he does not. Maledict must decide what to do.
OOC: Jep will also hold off until Maledict decides. Sorry about jumping the gun!
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Bloody Jep the Accumulator (chicken butcher Halfling 4); STR 14, AGI 6, STA 17, PER 10, INT 9, LUC 13; Chaotic; AC 14 (Chainmail); HP 29; Dual-wield Handaxes; Blinded Left Eye; Follower of Cadixtat, the chaos Titan
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Erp, ... waiting w/ baited breath for Maledict to do sumfin.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

(There is a good reason to wait; trust me. :twisted: )
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Maledict cannot see the others outside the mound. Will he go back out and tell them what he has discovered?
No, Maledict remains inside the mound. He takes a few steps forward, almost expecting that the grass spring to life and grab his legs. Those elves are tricky sorcerers, like that warlock. I should be wary. But I've dealt with a few witches before. And they die like any other. Must not let them surprise me however.

He barely moves from where he is, he mostly turns to look at the area, holding his pommel near his belt, his blade extending half an inch from his face. He whispers to it, almost like to a lover. Lady Blackrush, I am on my way to glory. The Order of the Town Wells will prosper, and your name will sit in its history like that of a queen. Guide me on my journey like you have done before.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

All still seems quiet, even after waiting about six or seven minutes. The others then pass through the doorway into the mound, emerging onto the lawn.

Were all of the others intending on entering together? Since none has disagreed since it was said, I rule it so.

Outside the mound, perhaps less than a minute passes after Maledict enters. As he does not immediately return, the rest of the party (led by Hamun Ry) enters.

Please note, the amount of time that passed within the mound and without the mound are different.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict scratches his nose under his noseguard with his stubby finger.

- This place is strange. The sun seems to be high in the sky, yet it was setting when we entered.

He points to the tower.

- It seems like this is where we want to go. Let us see if there is a door on the other side.

If no one objects, Maledict opens the march towards the tower. When he is about 30-40 feet from the tower, he circles aroud it at that distance, looking for doors or windows.

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Travič nods and follows, uncomfortable on this seemingly wide open lawn with no shadows to hide in.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The gleaming marble tower rises to a height of 150 feet. It is octagonal, with four longer faces at the cardinal directions, and four shorter faces. The highest reach projects outward somewhat, supported by ornate buttressing. Although the marble tower appeared smooth from a distance, a subtle pattern of whorls and spirals is visible to closer observation. You can see no sign of windows or doors in the tower.

As you examine the tower, Hamun Ry steps upon something that crunches underfoot - bones of some small animal. In fact, there are many small bones hidden in the grass around the tower....even that of what appears to be a young child, with a broken leg and fractured skull.

Hamun Ry hears a voice whisper,

Within this tall tower, up toward the moon
Find my slave’s body, gather him soon
Below this tall tower, down toward the tomb
Bathe him again in Life’s scalding womb
Keys you must find to open the door
Each worn on finger, number them four.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"Fascinating," Hamun Ry says. He collects the skull, and any other interesting bones, examines them carefully before stowing them in his pack. Teeth marks? Any indications about how they died?

"Are there any doors to enter the tower, Maledict?"
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

beermotor wrote: "Are there any doors to enter the tower, Maledict?"
- I see none.

Would the pattern of whorls and spirals enable climbing?

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The patterns and whorls, examined more closely, seem to contain images in them of natural creatures and unnatural - some of which look like Hieronymous Bosch had designed them. They do not look as though they would make climbing easy - DC 20 to climb 10 feet - but it is not impossible.

Closer examination does reveal something unusual though - a small divot on each of the longer faces at about chest height. These are shaped like a star, crescent moon, circle, and triangle.

Also, there is apparently a secret door on the southern face, although how it can be opened is not clear.
SoBH pbp:

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Did Hamun repeat the whispered riddle to us?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Sure, Hamun Ry will repeat the whispered poem of Mulmo.

"I think we need four rings to open the secret door. Lets search around..." aren't there some alcoves that lead off, away from this central chamber?

and does the Thief have an easier time climbing the tower? Maybe send him up to see what is up top?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

For the most part, the bones appear to have been damaged by impact; they have tooth marks, but mostly of smaller creatures that you would equate with scavengers rather than predators. The bones are all in the near vicinity of the tower, under the opening at the top of the hill.

That DC 20 assumes a thief.

There are 10 vine-covered entrances around the periphery of the main lawn, roughly equally spaced, and five around the upper area. The entire inside curve is covered with flowering vines; this looks much easier to climb.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"Perhaps the rings will be found beyond these vine-covered alcoves?"
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

beermotor wrote:"Perhaps the rings will be found beyond these vine-covered alcoves?"
Maledict opines.

- I agree with you, powerful (Maledict believes this) Hamun Ry. Let us explore one.

Maledict waits for everyone (most people with respect to online delays) to speak their mind, and unless anyone disagrees, we explore one of the doors (the first one to the left to the one we came in through, among the ground-level ones).

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry will follow Maledict at a safe distance of say, 40', longbow drawn.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I take that to mean the first one clockwise from where you came in (i.e., left entering, not left facing).

Beyond the vine curtain you discover a roughly oval chamber perhaps 25 feet long and half again as wide. This was obviously once a guard room, as is seen by the overturned wooden tables and benches, the weapons racks wrenched from the walls and thrown down, and the broken bronze-headed spears scattered about.

There are several bodies here, all seemingly killed but the day before – five male elves wearing rent leather armour studded with bits of brass, and one large humanoid, easily seven feet tall, with green skin and a wild tangle of dark green hair above his ugly face. This being wears a hauberk of copper chains.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Can I use my prior Detect Magic result now? If not, re-roll is: 3 + 6 = 9, failure (but not lost, so he'll just try again after angrily kicking away the annoying crystals that grow underfoot). 2nd try: 8 + 6 = 14, success.

Hamun Ry will investigate each body, specifically searching for rings or other jewelry, pouches of spell components or coins, and any scrolls/books that might be on them or lying around in the room. Also, what kind of boots/shoes are they wearing? If there's something nice that'll fit his feet, he may swap. Elves being rumored to have nice boots, yaknow. :wink:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Hamun Ry, please roll 1d14 + Luck modifier.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”