The People of the Pit

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: The People of the Pit

Post by fireinthedust »

Eibon Stars! Eibon Stars!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:Eibon Stars! Eibon Stars!
Hey, my error. You get a Will save (DC 5) to avoid that first loss of Personality.
You gain another (DC 10) to avoid the second 1d3 from reading The Book of Eibon Stars. On the other hand, the book contains formulae that might allow you to learn Chill Touch if you spend the week making the attempt.....
You have one week left.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

fireinthedust, you still going to play? I am dying to start this adventure.

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

1d20=15, 1d20=17

Heya, sorry about that. Swamped at work, plus coding ebooks in class, plus procrastinating.

Okay, so it looks like no Sanity loss for me! :D

Week three... Is there a different Patron in Eibon Stars?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I am afraid not.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: In that case, spending a week with the King of Elfland, setting up that pact of patronage. Willing to use connection to Arvandra (as a reference?) to get it done.

Was torn by maybe going with the Curwen patron, but I think they might be annoyed that we killed all their friends. Plus Bron, at least, would be unhappy she hooked up with the patron of that monster baby, if he ever found out (and he's almost as smart as she is, so it's probable).

What more do you need for us to get started?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:OOC: In that case, spending a week with the King of Elfland, setting up that pact of patronage. Willing to use connection to Arvandra (as a reference?) to get it done.

Was torn by maybe going with the Curwen patron, but I think they might be annoyed that we killed all their friends. Plus Bron, at least, would be unhappy she hooked up with the patron of that monster baby, if he ever found out (and he's almost as smart as she is, so it's probable).

What more do you need for us to get started?
Who is casting the spell? On whom? Are you using spellburn? What is the spell check result?
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

[roll]1d20+4[/roll]

The +3 is due to her Intelligence, which I know is 18. She's a Wizard 1, so +1 caster level.

She's casting it on herself (as she has to, to create the first bond). I don't think she needs Spellburn just yet, as we're not desperate in battle. Any bonus for having the lady elf around? She's cute and elven, and I'm sure would think highly of Arvandra, a wise herbalist woman. Maybe the kind-hearted-yet-ditzy Aelfwyn would turn the king of elf land's head favourably...

Otherwise, let's see how my roll does.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

1d20+4=20

Nice!

20-23
The caster arrives at an agreeable arrangement with his patron. He receives a prominent mark of the patron on his face. The caster learns the spell invoke patron as it relates to his patron and may cast it twice per day at a +1 bonus to the spell check. Each time he casts invoke patron, the caster is indebted to his patron, who will call in the debt at some point.

Does Invoke Patron count against my 4 spells known?

Mark of the Patron: Hmm... I think I'll go with her hair turning a vibrant white, and her ears becoming pointed, like an elf's. Thoughts?

Also: Mullen's art is fantastic. The whole book looks great (downloaded it onto my new computer; old one is finished, and I still have files on there.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:Does Invoke Patron count against my 4 spells known?
Patron Bond and Invoke Patron take up the same slot.
Mark of the Patron: Hmm... I think I'll go with her hair turning a vibrant white, and her ears becoming pointed, like an elf's. Thoughts?
That's not exactly how it works. The King of Elfland is not simply some lackey for mortals to call upon lightly, nor does he allow those who call upon him to choose what mark he lays upon them.

No.

Rather that a physical mark in some shape, all who now gaze upon Arvandra are reminded of some loss they suffered, generally a forgotten thing of childhood. Even babes in arms are reminded of the loss of the womb. This may make some uneasy. It may make some hate her. It may make others lover her. But it is, and it shall be so long as the King of Elfland is her patron.

Moreover, the place in which Arvandra has called the King of Elfland is offensive to him, replete with the stink of tiny mortal lives and sins, and he demands a show of her renunciation of the Lands Mortals Know in favour of the Twilight Kingdom. At some point, a guide will appear. You must follow that guide wherever it may lead, or the King of Elfland will be your patron no longer.

As a final note, both Patron Bond and Invoke Patron require Mercurial Magic rolls. If you have not done so, please do so now.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

(At the risk of seeming harsh, be it noted that wizard spells take time to learn - a minimum of 1 week per spell level - and then require an Intelligence check of DC 10 + spell level to learn. I will "credit" Patron Bond, and Invoke Patron is taught as part of the process, but thus far, that is the only spell Avandra knows. Remember also that the spells she may "know" well enough to potentially learn are determined randomly.

On the other hand: http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... ls-on.html . Have fun!)
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Arvandra would have spent the time in her tiny cottage in the woods, with only Lady Aelfwyn keeping her company. I don't know if that would improve his mood?

Otherwise: She's a crone in the woods, she's fine with whatever mark the King of Elfland opts to bestow. As an aside: I haven't read the Appendix N story by (I want to say) Lord Dunsany. Is this one based on that guy? If so, I can do some additional research.

Hmm, wish I'd thought about time spent learning spells. Ah well. How shall the potential spells be rolled, by you or me?

Also: I can't think of anything else to do before we depart.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Feel free to roll randomly yourself.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

We all ready and done with rolls now)?
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

The spells for first level don't seem to have a random rolling number. I will roll anyway, and see what we've got, 1-30 and comparing against the level 1 spells (plus patron spells?)

1d30=28, 1d30=14, 1d30=30, 1d30=16, 1d30=8

I rolled the dice assuming that 30 would be a re-roll, taking the first 3 numbers as the spells.

Spell rolled: Patron spell, force manipulation, re-roll, magic missile, detect magic.

Does this seem reasonable?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Patron Bond takes up one of those spell slots. But, sure, let's say that those other four are potentials that you could learn, given (1) an available slot, (2) a successful check after studying, or (3) the willingness to attempt the spell on the fly (and succeeding). You still need Mercurial Magic rolls for Patron Bond and Invoke Patron.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Mercurial Magic: I rolled three times for kicks: 43, then 45, both result in normal casting. Third roll I got 97, just to see what would happen (which is a necrotic drain of hp on creatures near me, but for every few hp I get a +1 to casting it, which would be great for an armour spell or thunder wave, were that last one in this system). But yes, looks like Patron Bond I can cast without incident.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You only needed to roll twice, for the spells you already know, so you have no Mercurial effects for Patron Bond or Invoke Patron.

It is a clear, crisp morning if you want to head westward through the pine-shrouded hills, toward the Shudder Mountains, or go poking about the burnt-out Curwen homestead. The weather doesn't hold long in these parts of the world, not in the early days of autumn, anyway.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Arvandra is pleased that her spells will at least be uncomplicated.

"We should go, make our way to the Curwens as we can. Their Patron is an ancient spirit of cannibalism. Powerful, and offering temptations of knowledge, but I think that kind of evil is not one I want to deal with. That would explain the pigs, and those bloated men you fought. The demon-infant, I'm not sure what it was, either a creation of the Curwens or the spawn of the cannibal spirit. I fear for my own sanity to learn more through these books alone, so poking about below the ruins could be the wisest course to take: see what lurks down there, if anything is left, and research more as a last resort. I'm not clear on what those sorcerers wanted to do, but I never saw below the farm house."

Bron nods, eager to wet his blade. "If their patron sought to eat human flesh, we'll give him a taste of cold steel!"

OOC: May we bring Lady Aelfwyn along as a camp follower?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:OOC: May we bring Lady Aelfwyn along as a camp follower?
Sure. Why not?
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Nodding in agreement with Arvandra, Balin and Pratel prepare their packs for the journey. "I suggest we leave at first light." Balin says as he kicks the dirt around his feet. "For it is not much a trip, to the Curwen's house, but I want to be out of there by night fall."

"Yes!" Pratel speaks up. "We have some unfinished business there and hopefully Arvandra and Bron can help us with our goals..."
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Do we have any torches or lamps? Bron will carry whatever they need from Arvandra's cottage.

IC: Arvandra nods. Then we should waste no more time. Let's go!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Reading the back-and-forth dialogue is fun, but I need concrete statements about what you actually do in order to move things forward. Otherwise, your characters are simply having a discussion.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc... I was under the impression that the entire group is headed to the Curwen farm. There is possible loot to be gathered, undead within cells and that creature in the pit. Not to mention we can find clues as to the pig men problem.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It is a chilly trek up to the burnt-out remains of the Curwen Homestead in the early autumn morning. You are reminded of the stories you have heard growing up, of the Barren Devil that sets on lone travellers benighted in the pinewood, the cold un-dead Folk of the Pines that eat your memories before consuming your flesh, of the drumming noises sometimes heard deep beneath the hills at night.

And, of course, those are the hills you must traverse if you intend to face the People of the Pit.

This may be enough of a task for you at this moment, now that you are before the burnt-out shell of the Curwen homestead. You can see that the house itself has burnt and fallen in, leaving only the ghostly remains of a few blackened walls intact. How the pigs fared you cannot tell - escaped from the hole in the north end of the fence, now wild in the forest or prey to wolves and worse. The fence was close enough to the house to catch, and parts of it burned.

The other outbuildings - the smokehouse and the abattoir - are soot-blackened on the side facing the house, but intact. The well is still there, but the rope and bucket are gone.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”