Sour Spring Hollow

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Sour Spring Hollow

Post by Guang »

Wilderlands: Seen the original. I think it's one of the main sources for the OSR, at least the hexcrawl stuff. Lots to like (and tweak) in there. I've spent hours trying to tweak hexcrawls at various times. Somehow making random elements all hang together in some kind of over-arching meta-story.

Gran: Yeah, I think I ended up basing her on my mom-in-law, who's in her 90's. How she would be if she was a little bit evil and selfish, using her strength to make her progeny do what she wanted them to do. Which is kinda weird, cause my mom-in-law is nothing like that - she's totally sweet and would do anything for her family.

Oh, man.....the ear horn thing totally reminds me of what my dad-in-law was like when he was still alive. We had to shout in short, clear sentences for him to understand, usually 4 or 5 times before he got it. Unless it was something he was interested in. Then suddenly he could hear fine.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The closest cottage is to the southeast....a cabin in a state of ongoing collapse standing away from the rest. Holes pierce its roof and one of its walls leans ominously, bringing to mind a cringing dog awaiting the next blow. Lacking shutters, ratty, badly tanned hides cover the windows facing the yard and a crumbling stone stoop leads to its closed front door. Something leans against the stoop - a cornhusk doll, maybe 8 inches tall.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Matt kicks the cornhusk doll as far as he can to the left, away from the cabin, and my 5 throw open the door and pile in. Nan keeps an eye in that direction, holding her torch ready (in case it comes back), guarding Gran as she scratches a Devil's Thorn in the door.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Amalthia follows with the goat, keeping an eye on that doll and on the house. Before she dives in she:

a) looks around for the phantoms

b) looks at the doll: is it attacking?

c) looks inside the cabin: is it eating the group? are they polymorphed into dolls? Anything?

If all seems well, she runs in after them.

Murphoi: Keeps running through the woods, trying to get to civilization.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The cornhusk doll lies on the ground where it was kicked. It looks forlorn there in the dust, neither moving nor attacking.

Beyond the door, a front room can be seen, not at all dissimilar to other rooms in Shudfolk cabins, save for the holes in the ceiling which have allowed the outside in. The place smells musty, but there is wood stacked near the fireplace, a lantern near the door, and a short bow hanging off pegs on one wall. Three ratty deer hides divide the cabin, presumably hiding the kitchen to the right and a pair of bedrooms to the left.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

I guess Gran and Nan are still busy at the door. So my other 3 will check out and search the first bedroom.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Amalthia is taking no chances! She and Sir Cudsmore look around for signs of what's going on here: what bashed the house? Are there signs of it still here, like rocks thrown by giants, or what have you? Does the damaged side of the house seem to face the giant cabin-mimic that just ate Igor and Noot?

"Maybe that's why everyone left: giant monster got everyone to flee. Maybe that straw doll was left by whatever little girl lived here before?"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

As far as can be told, time has caused the beginning of the cottage's collapse.

The first bedroom contains old, ruined furniture - a cot and some shelves, a half-collapsed chair. Several cornhusk dolls sit upon the cot and shelves.

There is a noise like scratching from beneath the floorboards.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Matt prys (sp?) up a floorboard in the bedroom with one of the knives retrieved from the first kitchen. Luc holds Matt's torch for him so they can see down into the hole. Marissa stands back. Gran and Nan are in the main room, peering from the middle of the room to see what they can see.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Pries, it seems.

IC:

(Assuming she can see through the doorway at the corn husk dolls) the elf looks at the dolls with a certain... cautious curiosity. The cots and shelves, the doorway... is it a hobby or collection, or some black magic turning peasants into cornhusk dolls?

Amalthia has her dagger ready to stab whatever comes at them from the floor boards, and her other hand on the leash of Sir Cudsworth. "Hold on, Sir Cudsworth... we can't eat those dolls yet! But if we get out of here, I'm buying you a barn filled with corn!"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The doll is crude, made of dried corn husks, twine, and corn silk. The dolls are about 8 inches tall. The first doll the elf examines...well, the doll's rustic form seems to suggest the appearance of Rainbow, down to her clothing and hair colour. Unlike the rest of the cabin, the doll is clean and dust-free, hinting at recent manufacture.

The elf's inspection is interrupted as one of the floor boards Matt is prying up gives way with a sodden snap, and then an even louder series of splinters as part of the floor explodes upward. A creature with rat-like fur and porcine tusks disfiguring a dog-like head pushes out, snapping at Matt (19 + 1 = 20; 1d4 damage for 1 point). Amalthia has her dagger ready, and may make an attack now, if she likes, before initiative is rolled.

The creature seems to be the size of a pig....and there are two more straining to burst their way upwards into the room!
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Matt is still alive. He had 2hp, now has 1. Waiting for pre-init Fire move before I post. Gonna be doing some traveling, so if I take awhile, that's why.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Ugh, rolled a 6. I'm pretty sure she doesn't have more than a +1 or +2 from ability scores, so I'm guessing that's a miss. I don't suppose Sir Cudsworth could take a headbutt at the creature?

IC:

Amalthia sees the beast, and slashes at it with her dagger. The horrific features and the frightening situation seem to have unnerved her, however, and she fails to get close enough to strike the beast.

OOC: Rolled initiative with a 9.

Question: Who is Rainbow? The name rings a bell, but it's late night for me. Wedding guest/friend, or fellow stranded victim?
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

ooc: Rainbow was one of the first of my characters to die. A young teenage girl with stars in her eyes. Daughter of Byron and Nan.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

GASP! Then... who was the cornhusk doll that got tossed aside????

Let's hope we survive this fight. I'd like to have a player character discover the answers before the game is done and I buy the module as a GM! My curiosity is piqued!
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

GASP! Then... who was the cornhusk doll that got tossed aside????

Let's hope we survive this fight. I'd like to have a player character discover the answers before the game is done and I buy the module as a GM! My curiosity is piqued!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Just state your actions and rolls, and I'll adjudicate the first round.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Sir Cudsworth is going to charge in and butt the creature as hard as he can, feeling defensive of Amalthia, his friend.

Initiative: 10
Attack: 17!
1d20=10, 1d20=17
Would goat butts be a 1d4 or 1d6 damage?

Amalthia wants to scramble away, BUT she sees Sir Cudsmore charge in, and she cannot allow him to fight this creature alone!

Initiative: 2
Attack: 6
1d20=2, 1d20=6
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Luc shoves his torch into the first animal's eyes (d20+1=8). Not sure what to roll for damage. Matt tries to disembowel it with his knife(d20+1=6) 3 dmg if it hits by some miracle. Marissa throws her empty (glass) flask at the animal's head (d20+1=5). All 3 Run throigh the doorway, Matt and Luc taking cover behind each side, Marissa stands even farther back. Gran and Nan are in the other room already.

OOC: I think the crawler app hates me. I want my real dice :/
OOC: Ooooo, dolls with the features of real people. Let me know when Nan notices her daughter's features on that doll
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Luc attemots to shove his torch into the first animal's eyes (d20+1=8). Matt tries to disembowel it with his knife (d20+1=6), and Marissa throws her empty (glass) flask at the animal's head (d20+1=5), luckily not striking any of her friends with her wild throw. There is a sound of shattering glass and splintering wood as the creatures surge up out of the floorboards.

All three run through the doorway, but the first creature gains a free attack against Matt as he runs (2 + 2 = 4), Matt feeling the creature's breath as he and Luc take cover. The creatures stink of the grave. Marissa stands even farther back. Gran and Nan are in the other room already.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sir Cudsworth charges in and butts one creature as hard as he can, feeling defensive of Amalthia, his friend. A 17 certainly hits (AC 11), and Sir Cudsworth does 1d4 (4!) points of damage, catching the creature as it surges after Matt, and ripping through its jugular with his sharp horns! The creature falls in a spray of foul-smelling blood.

The remaining two, free of the floorboards, now attack. One attempts to savage the trusty goat with its tusks (5+2=7), but the goat is too spry to be so easily caught.

The other goes after Amalthia, who wants to scramble away, biting with its earth-stained teeth (9+1=10). The elf is just agile enough to avoid the deadly fangs, but misses with her own attack.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: So Matt took 4 damage? If so, he's dead (not sure what 2+2=4 means in this context. Free attack......are there attacks of opportunity in the rules somewhere, or did Matt just get what he deserved for turning his back on a monstet?)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Guang wrote:OOC: So Matt took 4 damage? If so, he's dead (not sure what 2+2=4 means in this context. Free attack......are there attacks of opportunity in the rules somewhere, or did Matt just get what he deserved for turning his back on a monstet?)
That's an attack roll; a miss as good as a mile.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Luc recoiled at the grave stench billowing out of the room, but then remembered, "Hey, I've got some holy water". He loosened the stopper, said a quick prayer, and threw it (7+1=8)at the beast attacking Amalthia from behind the cover of the doorframe. Matt steps up and (15+1=16) cracks the same beast in the head with his staff. Gran steps up to his vacated side of the doorway and helps the goat by slinging a stone (2+1+1=4) at the gravebeast it's fighting with. She also calls out "Get out of there!" to both Amala and Matt.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Amalthia dodges back as the others splatter the beast with their attacks, and ducks through the doorway.

"Come on, Sir Cudsworth! We have to get out of here!" She calls over her shoulder.

The goat, meanwhile, gave another butt to the nearest rat-thing, and then leapt away towards the nearest window: having a taste for battle, the goat wanted to strike down these beasts once more, covering his mistress's escape and (he hopes) joining her!

OOC: If we make it through this funnel, I'm going to have Amalthia spend serious treasure as the game progresses to armour up that goat! Let's see how the attack rolls do...

7+goat= suspense!

and should I roll for him escaping with a leap? If so... 17! Geez, *now* I roll a 17.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”