Big Trouble In Little Punjar — (RAPID URBAN FUNNEL PbP)

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Everybody Reads

Re: Big Trouble In Little Punjar — (RAPID URBAN FUNNEL PbP)

Post by ProdigalWilliam »

Tommy, Travis, and Lacey hardly need convincing to beat feet away from this unholy monstrosity. Tommy gives up on the idea of dragging Millie away from the chaos - in the same moment he gives up on the fantasy that they would have hooked up at some point (something everyone else in the Iron Boot has always talked about as a "won't they/won't they" situation). Instead he pries Millie's hide armor off (succeeding a luck check (10) if he needs more than the time allotted to remove it, but not under by 5). Travis attempts to retrieve Lucy from the scrum (also making a luck check (7), again, not under by 5). Lacey takes the sack (which also holds an iron spike).
MoD Demi-humans
Elrod, Elven Sage - 2hp, 11AC, HP: 2, str16(+2) agl13(+1) sta8(-1) per15(+1) int10(0) luc10(0); init: 1; ref(1), fort(-1), wil(1)
Pitchfork +2 (1d8+2); Chest: (rope (50'), Parchment, quill pen, 15 cp)

Celebron, Elven Barrister - 2hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta11(0) per12(0) int15(+1) luc5(-2); init: 0; ref(0), fort(0), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Hawkeye (Missile fire damage rolls) (1)
Dagger (1d4), Quill (1d4+1); Lg Sack: (Book, Candle, Torches (3), 20 cp)

Halfling, Halfling Vagrant - 4hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta12(0) per9(0) int14(+1) luc10(0); init: 0; ref(0), fort(2), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Lived through famine (Fortitude saving throws) (+2)
Club (1d4); Lg Sack: (Begging Bowl, Oil Flask, Flint+Steel, Iron Spikes 3)

Legolad, Elven Falconer - 1hp, 10AC, str8(-1) agl9(0) sta15(+1) per7(-1) int13(+1) luc14(+1); init: 0; ref(0), fort(1), wil(1); Lucky Sign: Survived the plague (Magical healing) (1)
Dagger -1 (1d4-1); Lg Sack: (Torches 2, Chalk 2); Falcon, Aerandir
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Gunnar grabs Kylie and is fast down the alley after the stranger with Brun close behind

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

...Hadn't considered that anyone might grab something off of a gang member, but that's right in keeping. In hind-sight, maybe someone snagging one of the filleting blades might not've been a bad idea, but it's all behind you now... The slippers come away from the dead man's feet easily enough for Flea. They are a dark silk, embroidered with curlicues like an illustration of the winds, and have leather soles stitched on.

Tommy manages to get the main torso section of the hide armor, but the evil bearing down on him has him content to leave the other bits behind and beat feet away. A little new lacing (negligible cost) and this is ready to wear. This being the main section of the armor, anyone wearing it gains the mechanical effects of normal Leather Armor, but could subsequently purchase replacements for the missing components for half the cost of the Hide suit. While in this partial armor, you're subject to any special crits striking limbs that might otherwise be blocked by armor in their description, since only the torso is protected, (should such a thing come up).

Each surviving character gains 1 point of Luck. You have stepped out of your ordinary lives into something bigger than yourselves, something extraordinary, you've seen the costs such a step can exact, and you've lived to tell the tale. Each character should also take 3 XP.

The stranger leads you on a tilt-a-whirl race through the crazy paths of the little favela. The sounds of fear and destruction fade into the distance. Abruptly, he stops short outside the door to a little cafe on the edge of the favela and drags you and your friends inside to a large table in the back. A couple of cooks poke their heads out to see what's the hurley burley, seem to recognize the stranger, and they get right back to their fires. It is a moment to catch your breath and take stock of what's just happened...

The stranger gives his name as Ninnim, and explains that the sorcerer is Oll Zen, said to be from the dawn of time. He 'dies' every 10-20 years and spends a year in the grave before resuming his life. He's got his fingers in multiple pies here in the Little Favela, running things quietly through fear of his sorcery. This is why the funeral was like a party — there was going to be a year without fear... Ninnim knows that Oll Zen's headquarters is located in the center of the favela, hidden by magic, but now that the PCs have seen Oll Zen's face, they can see through the magics that hide his headquarters.

Oll Zen is cursed to both live and die at the same time, thus his crazy life-cycle; while living he is always dying, and in death comes back to life. He can break the curse by marrying a woman with one green eye and one blue eye — such as has your friend, Other Molly...

Anything that you may wish to ask him or tell him, let's have it...!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Tommy takes a moment to don the blood-spattered hide armor. He draws a deep breath in through his nostrils and almost swoons from the accumulation of sweat and grime in the leather from Millie's days as a merc. He had hoped for a far more pleasant scent.

Travis cannot contain himself over this recent swing of good luck in his otherwise pathetic life - kidnapped and slaughtered pub friends notwithstanding. Under his breath he mutters to his newly purposed weapon, "I name you the Fork of the Favela." He dares to hope that he himself will be renamed as a hero of daring and great renown. He does not dwell on how he might accomplish this goal or that, previously, every one of his peers knew him to be a useless, quivering mass.

Lala is the only one of the three listening to Ninnim. "An undead sorcerer!" Her eyes go cartoonishly wide. "Beggin' yer pardon, but how are we s'posed ta fight against this magic?" Using her skills as a street beggar, she adds what she thinks might be a cute, helpless pout. "Mayhaps you have something we can use?" (rolled a 15 on a possible check to convince)

(Loving all the references to BTiLC, I almost wish I had named a character Rurt Kussell. Also, I nearly snagged a filleting knife (d6 damage was my assumption?) for Lala, but -2 to hit and damage kept me from it.)
MoD Demi-humans
Elrod, Elven Sage - 2hp, 11AC, HP: 2, str16(+2) agl13(+1) sta8(-1) per15(+1) int10(0) luc10(0); init: 1; ref(1), fort(-1), wil(1)

Celebron, Elven Barrister - 2hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta11(0) per12(0) int15(+1) luc5(-2); init: 0; ref(0), fort(0), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Hawkeye (Missile fire damage rolls) (1)

Halfling, Halfling Vagrant - 4hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta12(0) per9(0) int14(+1) luc10(0); init: 0; ref(0), fort(2), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Lived through famine (Fortitude saving throws) (+2)

Legolad, Elven Falconer - 1hp, 10AC, str8(-1) agl9(0) sta15(+1) per7(-1) int13(+1) luc14(+1); init: 0; ref(0), fort(1), wil(1); Lucky Sign: Survived the plague (Magical healing) (1)
jeff c
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: N/A

Post by jeff c »

While everyone catches their breath, Flea sees an opportunity and steps forward in his new slippers. "Look, the 2, 4, 6, 7... Is that all that's left of us? Look, the 8 or 9 of us are in this to get back our dear mate, Other Molly. If you're wanting us to go the extra mile and kill some sorceror it's gonna cost you. Up front. Gods know, this rat-" pointing at Zeppo," only has about one good hour left and he deserves to die with the warmth of food in his belly and the clinking of coin in his pocket. And you'd really send this wee one-" gesturing to the pouting Lala" without something to compensate her next of kin? Are you a slave driver, sir?!"
Iron Freebooters:
Zeppo Daggerstain, pickpocket, 1 Thief (N) - 4 hp, 11 AC, str10 agi9 sta12 per9 int7 luc12; 10xp
filleting knife (d6), blowgun & darts, 2 shuriken (1d4), dagger, grappling hook, rope 50', jade pieces, 25 cp

Sanitor, diabolist, 1 Cleric of the Infernal Vision (C) - 9 hp, 13 AC, str15, agi15, sta8 per14 int9 luc14 5xp
Battleaxe (1d10), Ceremonial knife (1d4), 2 shuriken (1d4), hide armor 2 AC, grimoire, jade pieces, 37 cp

RIP - Meato Daggerstain, Ivan Grapeworth, Flea
ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

"Please mister, you have to help us save our friend!" Lala sneaks a wink at Flea when she thinks no one else is looking. This isn't the first time Flea and Lala have talked someone out of their possessions.
MoD Demi-humans

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Business first: If your reluctance to grab a weapon was made under the impression that 'weapon proficiency' mattered, then I was negligent to not point out that in a 0-Level game there are no weapon proficiencies. Zeroes are under enough limitations, and fiddling around with "this gets a penalty, this one doesn't" etc. was dropped out for Funnels before the game was released. If you would like, I am totally open to ret-conning that situation and you can have a blade (indeed it is a d6 on damage). When leveling up, you are considered proficient in the last weapon you've used. And the Class you choose at 1st Level has no bearing on that. FYI.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ninnim appears as a simple man in every way. He could absolutely be one of you, or rather, as you were before today.

He parts the curtain to the back, where the cooks had poked their heads through and murmurs a few words. Soon a tureen of thin soup, and bread, and a stack of bowls are brought out. "I saw you standing up to those toughs in the street, and didn't wish to see you killed by Oll Zen."

To be clear, he didn't make the connection on the eye-color thing to your friend Other Molly, but as soon as he mentioned this fact about the Wizard's curse, you all made the connection yourselves.

Ninnim is a simple laborer, and as such has worked all over the Little Favela. With such scope, he's crossed many paths, and picked up knowledge along the way. This knowledge has done him no good, but only increased his misery, knowing things about the oppressors in the favela, but unable to do anything about the situation.

"I don't know what I can do to help you save your friend, but I will tell you what I do know..."

He can pay you no money, only share what little he knows. Given that Oll Zen was due to be buried this day, any possible bride that is found for him, might well be saved over for him at The Cloister, which he explains is the sort of place where anyone so inclined could rent the companionship of another person for a short time...

She may be there — or given the wizard's premature awakening, she may have been taken to his headquarters.... He can't say with any real certainty, only speculate.

He can guide you through the Little Favela, if you need him.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

...And to be clear on a game-mechanics level, I'm not sending you up against a full-blown Wizard with levels and all that. NPCs aren't expected to use player character mechanics, in general. Even a 1st Level Wizard would have an awfully good chance of wiping out Zeroes by the handful at least! So that's not what is happening. :wink:

If you've got the Rulebook, you can look at page 432 for more insight into "NPCs". Some of them are dirt-simple.

jeff c
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff c »

(I was totally on board to go after a wizard, even with zeroes. I fear I am as fool-hardy as a player as my characters are:))

Flea says: "A moment to confer with my fellows if you please," and turning to the gang says: "This adventure feels all risk and no reward! I propose we make haste to the Cloister to see if we can't get Other Molly, and let someone else take on a sorcerer. What say you Lala? And you others?"

Ivan nods in agreement, only half listening.

Zeppo thumbs the grappling hook, deep in thought.
Iron Freebooters:
Zeppo Daggerstain, pickpocket, 1 Thief (N) - 4 hp, 11 AC, str10 agi9 sta12 per9 int7 luc12; 10xp
filleting knife (d6), blowgun & darts, 2 shuriken (1d4), dagger, grappling hook, rope 50', jade pieces, 25 cp

Sanitor, diabolist, 1 Cleric of the Infernal Vision (C) - 9 hp, 13 AC, str15, agi15, sta8 per14 int9 luc14 5xp
Battleaxe (1d10), Ceremonial knife (1d4), 2 shuriken (1d4), hide armor 2 AC, grimoire, jade pieces, 37 cp

ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

(I won't take you up on the ret-con, I was referring to Lala's -2 strength modifier which would in role play terms put her in the mindset to stay in volley range and not bother with melee weapons.)

Tommy perks up from his sorrow at the mention of renting companionship. "Ah, yes, we should hurry to the, uh, Cloister(?)... in case we can catch Other Molly there! Oh, and to avoid another meeting with this Oll Zen."

Travis nods in agreement with this, kicking himself for not having spoken first, "Getting this bold hero stuff right is hard," he mutters to himself.

Lala nods enthusiastically, "Yes, we must hurry, and on the way, mister," Turning to Ninnim again, "If we must best this sorcerer, mayhaps you can tell us who might benefit from his departure, and how we can benefit from them?" She tries to make her eyes go wide to help dispel any suspicion of a less-than-altruistic motive.
MoD Demi-humans

ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

(also business: I meant the aside about almost snagging the filleting knife as adding weight to considering how many players will go for the loot for loot's sake. This is especially so if in physical play the GM rolls in front of the screen. Those d6 weapons look good to a lot of zero levels. Also: quality loot drops before the big bad in funnels are somewhat uncommon, so I nearly went loot first, role play second. Depending on how stingy you'd want to be, I'd almost be tempted as a GM to make players roll five under luck to snag an item from a fallen enemy in that situation.

I was nearly ready to fight the wizard there too, Jeff, honestly.

Even more business: have you considered adding a martial artist type class to an extended module of this, maybe using agility as its most important stat?)
MoD Demi-humans

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Little Kylie is clearly on the edge of her seat at Nimmin's story..."
Kilie: "Id love another crack at that mean-old dead guy! He's gross! C'mon guys, we can TAKE him, and he's bound to have, y'know-STUFF!"
... and Gunnar shoots a disapproving look at her eagerness but remains silent. Brun is regretfully counting out the 29 coppers from poor Ty's purse, wishing he'd grabbed his silver holy symbol instead....
Brun, still looking at his coins: "I'm in either way. We can't let Molly go to that...THING...and he owes us, the town something for all he's done!"

Gunnar: "Who were all those toughs anyway? Oll Zen's thugs?"

Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Tommy can tell the fit of his armor is off. He realizes (player rereads the description above) he'll need some sort of laces to tie up the seams. He looks around the room to see if anything might help pull the armor snug against his chest. If he sees anything suitable, he asks Ninnim if he would be willing to trade anything for it.
MoD Demi-humans

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

jeff c wrote:(I was totally on board to go after a wizard, even with zeroes. I fear I am as fool-hardy as a player as my characters are:))
ProdigalWilliam wrote:I was nearly ready to fight the wizard there too, Jeff, honestly.
I have greatly appreciated the enthusiasm everyone has shown thus far, as well as all the little details you've all thrown in about your characters. I care about these guys at this point. I can't let that stop me from inflicting mayhem upon them, because that'd be a pretty sorry excuse for a funnel, but I know I'll feel a pang at whomever gasps their last next...

ProdigalWilliam wrote:(I won't take you up on the ret-con, I was referring to Lala's -2 strength modifier which would in role play terms put her in the mindset to stay in volley range and not bother with melee weapons.)
Okay, I missed that but see it now in her stats. Still, I should have pointed out that anybody could grab whatever from whomever.

ProdigalWilliam wrote:...have you considered adding a martial artist type class to an extended module of this, maybe using agility as its most important stat?)
Not sure if you mean as an opponent, or as a Class the Zeroes could Level into... In either case, I mostly hadn't. There's certainly room if this were run for higher leveled characters (2nd?) to use the Martial Grandmaster 'monster' I created for last year's Gong Farmers Almanac, and I can't recall off the top of my head if I mention that in the MS or not... I'd be surprised if there weren't already one or two 'Kung Fu' expert-type Classes out there somewhere in the fan-o-sphere...

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Gunnar: "Who were all those toughs anyway? Oll Zen's thugs?"
"Yes, some of them were, but not all of them. The favela is riddled with their kind, some controlling a few blocks, others larger territories. The Lords of Deepwater are in Oll Zen's pocket, and do his bidding..."

ProdigalWilliam wrote:Lala nods enthusiastically, "Yes, we must hurry, and on the way, mister," Turning to Ninnim again, "If we must best this sorcerer, mayhaps you can tell us who might benefit from his departure, and how we can benefit from them?" She tries to make her eyes go wide to help dispel any suspicion of a less-than-altruistic motive.
Such things are a bit beyond him, but his semi-informed estimation is that the power-vacuum would lead to a lot of strife in the short term. How it all shakes out, who could say? But if the wizard were gone, there would absolutely be less of a pall of fear over the quarter.

If there are no other questions, we'll move on to The Cloister...

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

ProdigalWilliam wrote:... he'll need some sort of laces to tie up the seams....
No worries. A quick off-screen moment takes care of the issue.

ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Not sure if you mean as an opponent, or as a Class the Zeroes could Level into... In either case, I mostly hadn't. There's certainly room if this were run for higher leveled characters (2nd?) to use the Martial Grandmaster 'monster' I created for last year's Gong Farmers Almanac, and I can't recall off the top of my head if I mention that in the MS or not... I'd be surprised if there weren't already one or two 'Kung Fu' expert-type Classes out there somewhere in the fan-o-sphere...
(There are a couple of monk classes out there. I don't know why but they don't feel like they fit the setting for me. However, I did just stumble upon the Drunken Monk fan-created class for the first time. That class does appeal to me in this quest line.)

All three of my PC's scarf down as much of the offered food as possible before heading out. Before this adventure had started they had been day drinking. The alcohol in otherwise empty stomaches had started to feel a little on the sloshy side.
MoD Demi-humans

jeff c
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff c »

Ivan, mouth full, arms pumping: "To the Cloister!"
Iron Freebooters:

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Gunnar: "Brun and I will go to the Cloister with you, but that's no place for Kylie and Lucy..."

Kylie:" I'm not a kid anymore Gunnar. Besides, in a place like that, I've gotta keep YOU outa trouble! "
What little of Gunnar's face that shows between his long mustache and beard reddens, as does his bald pate. He grunts acquiescence rather than argue with the teen.

ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Travis says, "My hen goes everywhere I go, and you'll be needing me and my weapon, the Fo-"

Lala interjects, "Wait, did you get me confused with a bird!!?" She drops the poor, innocent child act now that she knows nothing useful can be gained from Ninnim, "What if I want to rent some companionship?"
MoD Demi-humans

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Gunnar reddens to the hue of a boiled lobster and chokes on sheer embarrassment. Little Kylie squeals in laughter.

Brun, grinning: "Don't be such an old fart, Gunn, the 'ladies' can handle themselves I'm sure..."

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

So diving back into the little favela after a chance to catch your breath and get some chow, you make your way to "The Cloister". The building has a large arched entryway on one side, leading into an inner courtyard. It stands three stories high. Loitering around the entry are a few employees (male and female, if it matters)...

There are no other entrances on the ground floor, though there are plenty of windows on the upper two stories.

The sun is dropping in the sky, but you don't have complete shadows yet...

Your approach here would be what, exactly? Frontal assault? Feigning patronage? Sneaking and stealthing your way in...? All of you? Only some of you?

Discuss (in or out of character as you prefer).

ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

As we're making our way to the entrance, do we notice anyone watching us? Also, does anyone look like they might have been part of the earlier brawl?

If we're not getting any strange looks, I say we pretend to be a bridal party on bachelor/bachelorette type trips to this fine establishment. Lala will be the fake bride if that plan sounds good to everyone else.
MoD Demi-humans

jeff c
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff c »

How sharp do these employees look? Are they guarding or just milling about?

The bachelor/bachelorette party style plan isn't bad.

Alternatives:

Pretend to be associates of Oll Zen come to fetch his "companion"?

Attempt to lure them away from the entry?
Iron Freebooters:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

The streets on the way over were strange, strewn with the tatters of the earlier celebration gone sour. People seem dejected, traveling alone or in small groups. No one seems to take much notice of you.

The employees out in front of The Cloister, are passing time. They might've expected a boisterous business from happy residents, but now, not so much.

They notice as many of you as are checking out the front of the establishment, but seem similarly downbeat as the rest of the neighborhood.

However, give me an INT check (intelligence bonus, plus a d20) for each Zero surveying the front. If you score 14 or higher, let me know.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”