First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Vort »

The Illuminating Ankh nods to Mercer. "As I too would've suggested, we should've gone East."

Shifty notes the gleam in Beezel's eyes and gives a wolfish grin in return. "We're paid by the pound, eh? That there 'ead is worth a whole lot 'o pounds."

Alarmed, Shaky frowns at his brother. "You'd better not be suggesting what I think you is suggesting."

Shifty sees Zend start to ready the sword and his grin grows even wider. He winks at his brother, who winces but follows along as the 4th sword bearer. Shifty whispers: "A'right, oo's gonna say it? Or all of us, on one ... two ..."

Shaky interrupts with a hoary whisper: "Wait! Is that one-two-THREE or one-two-three-and-then?"

The Illuminating Ankh nods again to Mercer's remarks about heading back, then shakes his head lightly at the words of doom and Kuruz's reaction. "An excellent thought, my friend, perhaps worth exploring." He purses his lips a moment and then puts a hand on Mercer's shoulder. "But let's not yet talk about doom, shall we?" He awkwardly pats the man's shoulder as if afraid to pick up a disease, then surreptitiously wipes it in his cloak. "I, the Illuminating Ankh, will scout the passage to shed some light on the idea." And with that, he turns and heads back the way they came, walking mindfully as to not inadvertently step in the oozing slime. [he'll go so far as to see the state and location of the slime]
Trevor / Road Crew (Calgary)
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop

Post by Judge_Yossarian »

/ooc sorry for the delays guys- looking back at this now I'm not 100% sure what actions were intended. I see Dejah was trying to sneak further into the room, and Ankh was trying to head back down the passageway, but did anyone actually intend say the sword's activiation phrase or are you still waffling? Regardless...
Dejah moves cautiously into the chamber, and sees a few glinting odds and ends amongst the rubble that could be valuable, although digging through it looks to be a potentially noisy task. She does not see any further exits or entrances. The creature continues snoring; it appears it is either asleep or pretending very convincingly to be so.
Ankh heads carefully and quietly down the passageway the group entered by. He doesn't see any signs of changes. When he peers into the chamber where the last fight took place, the blob is nowhere to be seen.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Dajah, sneaks back to the main group, "maybe we should try that other passage, assuming the slimy blob thing is not blocking our way..."
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon

Post by herself »

Sally nods to Dajah and says "I agree. I don't think we can take this thing on, sword, or no sword. Plus, as someone said earlier, no heads with these blobs, we'd best leave 'em be." She moves to head back down the chamber, with the dog at her heels. She's got her shepherd's stick out in front of her; she doesn't want to be caught out by the blob.

Smythe, after a quick assessment of the room (and also the headweight-vs-bodily-harm of the sleeping lizard), agrees. He cuffs Quentin on the shoulder. "Come on, mate, quit mucking around." He's following Sally.

Quentin says to the others, "er, yes, perhaps there's something interesting down the other passage, hey?"

Beezel is disappointed but will allow himself to be dragged off in the direction of the previous room if the rest of the sword-carriers are going as well.
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13--sign: saving throws (+1)
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8-- sign: broken star (fumbles) (-1)
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15--sign: the bull (attack+1)
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10--sign: spider bite (poison save, +0)
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Vort »

The Illuminating Anhk swallows heavily and nods to himself, then turns and goes back -- quietly -- to the room with the slumbering beast. When he meets up with the others: "I have ascertained that the blobous creature is gone and the way is clear for our strategic withdrawal in that direction."

Shifty look completely deflated as the other swordwielders turn to go, the disappointment clear on his face. Shaky whispers: "It's for the best, Shift. We don't want to tangle with that thing." Shifty's shoulders slump further as the group starts to turn with the others to retreat the way they had come. "But that head, Shake, think of how much that head is worth. We'd really strike it rich with that one alone," he says without thinking of the word he used. Oops?
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

:lol:
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by herself »

Hehe, awesome.
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13--sign: saving throws (+1)
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8-- sign: broken star (fumbles) (-1)
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15--sign: the bull (attack+1)
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10--sign: spider bite (poison save, +0)
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Vort »

Thanks, I couldn't resist. :lol:
---
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot

/ooc Oh lord :shock: I'll need a little bit to resolve this properly... update soon!
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot

As they turn to leave the room, the "brotherhood of the sword" notices an odd resistance from the blade, as if its weight is shifting to prevent them from turning it. It seems almost like it does not want to leave this room. The point drags on the ground and seems at its heaviest pointing towards the strange cuirass on the skeleton near the door.

Before any of them can think about this, however, Shifty's use of the word "strike" activates the blade's magic. The hilt once again glows with arcane power and...

Spell check 1d20+6=18

The blade unleashes a single ethereal sword blast that strikes the cuirass with a magnificent CLANG! The blast ricochets off into a pile of bones and rubbish, showering the party with debris. When they look up, the swordbearers are greeted by an enormous reptilian, yet oddly leonine head staring at them. The creature has awakened.

He opens his jaws and a mighty voice echoes through the cavern:
"WHO DARES TO DISTURB THE SLUMBER OF THE MIGHTY TIRAKANIN, THE UNDERDRAGON, LORD AND MASTER OF ALL THINGS BENEATH THE EARTH??!!"
--------------

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Kuruz points at Shifty, "He did, Your Magnifitude!"

herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by herself »

Sally, already starting to head down the tunnel, whips around at the sound of the dragon speaking. She hisses at the group, "who did that?" She gets ready to run if the dragon-thing starts to try to make mincemeat out of the group. There's no way they can take that thing on, she thinks. I have a feeling the dog will need little encouragement to run away too.

Smythe also concludes that there's no way they could fight their way out of this one. Maybe they can talk their way out of this. He shoves Beezel forward. "You got us into this mess, mate," he says, ignoring the fact that Shifty was the one who spoke up. "Now that tongue of yours can get us out of it!"

Quentin drops his end of the sword and cowers. He throws himself prone. "Oh mighty Tirakanin," he says, only half-bluffing. "Please take pity on our foolish party, we know not of what we wield!"

Beezel clears his throat, (presumably after the sword clangs to the floor), and pretending that nothing is out of the ordinary, will draw on all of his experience as a barrister to try and summon up a convincing argument for their being there, and firing a giant magical sword at a sleeping dragon. "Oh do pardon, good sir," he says. "We came knocking to offer you our very excellent pest-eradication service, but some dastard has stumbled here and accidentally set off our eradicator. Now you are awake, sir--and allow me to compliment you on how well-rested and in what excellent condition you appear to be--allow me to enquire if there is anything further we can do to assist you?"

He walks, casually, hands clasped behind his back, nearer the skeleton. He casually glances at it while he speaks, and tries to give the impression of not being interested in it at all.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

:lol:

Love it.

Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot

"SILENCE MORTALS!!!!" the creature's voice echoes.
"Exterminators, eh? Come to seek a quest from us? Well, the MIGHTY UNDERDRAGON does not suffer PESTS to live in our chamber. But we might have certain tasks that are BENEATH our noble DIGNITY.... yesss... that we might engage your services for..."

Beezel sees nothing notable about the skeleton, which appears to be human and only slightly (and not supernaturally) larger than average. The cuirass is decorated with swirling patters and arrows, reminiscent of those on the hilt of the Sword of Aeder-Kadai, and bears a central crest which he recognizes from the tower above.

"...HEY!! MORTAL! You will ATTEND when WE are ADDRESSING YOU! And don't think we don't see you eyeing that! It's OURS! Now, what was I saying... oh yes, tasks..... there is the matter of the mutamoles in the library, the snails in the pantry, and then those nasty slimy things that come crawling out of the old laboratory... really much work for the industrious.... WHAT do you SAY, MORTALS??? Do you seek to perform TASKS to gain the FAVOR of the MIGHTY UNDERDRAGON???" He emphasizes this with a flourish of his corpulent tail that sends another shower of bone fragments and rubbish onto the party's heads.
--------------

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Kuruz quietly says, "well, there aren't as many rats down here as we were lead to believe... maybe this will be more profitable?"

Mercer more or less agrees. "I'd rather be on his good side, if I have to be on a side at all..."

Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Vort »

Shaky, whispering : "What did you say?"
Shifty, innocent: "What?"
Shaky, gritting teeth: "You had to say it, didnya?"
Shifty, adamant: "I did'n say nothin'."
Shaky, scowling: "You said it. You just had to say it. Why do you always have to stir things up?"
Shifty, deflecting: "Shhush, somethin's goin' on."
Shifty, triumphant, glaring at Kuruz: "See? It was that Beezel that dun said it."
Shaky, exasperated: "...", opens and closes his mouth and merely shakes his head.

The two stopped bickering to listen to Beezel's exchange with the huge reptile.
Shaky muses aloud: "Sounds like long odds to me, getting on it's good side. But maybe we could wager something for some of them treasures?" Thoughts of a high stakes gamble make him forget his reluctance to even be here from a moment ago.

Shifty doffs his cap and steps forward a bit, always the reckless one, glances at Beezel -- as if to say either "thanks for the save" or maybe "thanks for the intro" -- and then back at Tirakanin: "G'evenin yer High Holiness. Aye, we been sent to do these things fer yer Gloryus Majestness, but we been sorely under-equipmentized. P'raps yer S'preme Magnificents has somethin' here ye could lend us t'help with our tasks, so much the better to do this work fer ya, yer Great Worshipness?"

Shaky, mouth agape, stares at his brother.

Ankh, having returned just on time to witness the awakening, keeps to the back of the group, ready to flee at the first sign of things going south.
Last edited by Vort on Mon May 18, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Vort »

[ooc]Haha, great posts everyone. @herself - Nice play with Beezel! This is definitely popcorn worthy... :lol: [/ooc]
---
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by herself »

[ooc]Mwahaha! So good! Popcorn-worthy is right! OMG, Beezel. The most ridiculous character ever. I love him, hehe.[/ooc]
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Vort »

[ooc]:D And I just realized I did a double post up there and hopefully my long-winded one doesn't get missed.[/ooc]
---
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by herself »

Sally groans and claps a hand to her forehead.
Smythe will grin and nod. "Now we're getting somewhere!" he says.
Quentin, on shaky legs, will rise again. He can't believe he's still alive.
And Beezel, ever the barrister, will rub his hands and get to work on the finer details of the arrangement. "Tasks, you say?" he asks. "Why, I think we can accommodate you, assuming of course that our current contract and your proposed one aren't in any sort of conflict with each other. But I hardly see how they could be, why, the agreement we have with the ones above is to take care of a few rats, nothing more!" He grins, and licks his lips. "Whereas such an esteemed personage as yourself would likely have more...important...issues at hand?"
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot

The creature seems to appreciate the flattery, as far as a massive troglodytic dragon can look appreciative... but it keeps one wary eye on Shifty an Shaky.

"PERHAPS we have something that could aid you... but these treasures are OURS and are not given lightly! Clear the library or the pantry, and we shall CONSIDER the granting of a BOON!!! You will doubtless find these places if you return the way you came, past the great hole where you surely entered our realm. Now, the UNDERDRAGON has SPOKEN!! Whether you would serve us or not, BEGONE so that our noble personage can continue our REST!"

He thumps his great tail to emphasize the last word, showering the party once again in detritus.
/ooc sorry for the delay, I probably won't be updating this even close to daily going forward, but will get to it when I can if you want to keep going.
--------------

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

You've never seen four Zeroes as eager to leave a room!

Back to where the blob thing was, we go! Ready to fight to get there, if need be...

Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Vort »

Shifty clutches his cap a little tighter in the rain of debris, bobbing his head and backing away slowly. "Many thanks, Oh Grand Underdragon. 'Pologies fer disturbitating ye, Ominous One. We'll leave ye in peace, yer Splendid Portentousness, and take care o' those problematics fer ye. We'll--" but Shaky cuts him off by grabbing an arm and hauling him out of the room to head back up the tunnel.

At the mention of a library, The Illuminating Ankh perks up. "Library? Did they say library? Off to the library!" and he'll go back with the others.

[ooc]I'm good with the pace, just keep 'em coming! Besides, I can't have had the only casualty in the game...[/ooc]
---
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by herself »

Nodding and bowing and scraping (Quentin would doff his cap if he had one), Quentin and Beezel back off after the others. Sally is already half way down the hall, and Smythe has also wandered off that way, not keen to be the last to leave the room.

When they are safely out of earshot, Sally will say aloud, "RIGHT. I have had enough of that sword!"

Wherein Beezel will protest that they have probably already woken up the most dangerous thing in the tunnels, so why shouldn't they continue to use it?

[ooc] I'm also not to worried if the pace of the game is slow -- it has been so fun! [/ooc]
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by herself »

[ooc] just a tiny bump to say hi, and hope everyone is doing ok out there![/ooc]

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”