Metamorphosis Alpha - DCC?

Here we can discuss James M. Ward's METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA game.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

pachristian
Ill-Fated Peasant

Metamorphosis Alpha - DCC?

Post by pachristian »

I see the Metamorphosis Alpha reprint on Kickstarter - but how about a DCC-rules edition of the game?

Is that a possibility?
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Metamorphosis Alpha - DCC?

Post by ajtheronin »

It would be awesome but considering there was a 5th edition KS not long* ago I don't think it would be possible.

Of course if they make the modules dual-stated I wouldn't complain at all.

Edit: *and by "not long ago" I mean 2 years ago that still haven't been fulfilled.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

At Gary Con there was a "Mutant Crawl Classics" game being playtested. Joseph said that he was interested but not right away, as he wanted to continue his focus on fantasy DCC.

This tells me that:
(1) MCC could emerge as a third-party product, or
(2) Goodman Games may wait a while and then run with MCC.

This is just me speculating, but it could be that Joseph is afraid that MCC might directly compete with his MA kickstart and doesn't want one to kill the other.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

finarvyn wrote:At Gary Con there was a "Mutant Crawl Classics" game being playtested. Joseph said that he was interested but not right away, as he wanted to continue his focus on fantasy DCC.

This tells me that:
(1) MCC could emerge as a third-party product, or
(2) Goodman Games may wait a while and then run with MCC.

This is just me speculating, but it could be that Joseph is afraid that MCC might directly compete with his MA kickstart and doesn't want one to kill the other.
Joseph is a canny marketer, and I trust his instincts implicitly. That's all I have to say about that :mrgreen:
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” ~ E. Gary Gygax
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

But $80.00 for a book that is less than 150 pages is a bit too much. There needs to be set limit as to the cost of rpg books. Like rising gas prices..no need for gauging players. I hope this price does do not come the norm for GG book sales... :?

I bought Hackmaster Hacklopedia of Beasts [Deluxe Hardcover]. The print edition is a full color, leathered hardcover book 384 pages in length and Smythe-sewn binding for much less... $49.00!

I buy a ton of DCC stuff but Metamorphosis Alpha , not only to me but sure many other potential buyers, is too much. Even for a collector :wink:

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

MrHemlocks wrote:But $80.00 for a book that is less than 150 pages is a bit too much. There needs to be set limit as to the cost of rpg books. Like rising gas prices..no need for gauging players.
Again, my understanding is that one of the major factors in the cost is the oversized book. Joseph said there aren't many printers who could handle such a size.

I think that there are three major factors in the cost.
(1) Quantity being printed. (Not a huge print run.)
(2) The quality of the final product. (Binding, etc.)
(3) The oversized paper. (Not standard equals more cost.)

My impression from conversations with Joseph was that Goodman Games wasn't making a big profit here, and that materials costs would account for most of the kickstart money. This was more a project of love rather than economic gain, and that Joseph wanted a product "done right."
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yeah, it's more of a coffee table book really, from everything I've heard. Yes, it has the original rules -- but a lot of background on that, and little mementos and oddities and maybe facsimiles of hand written notes from 40 years ago and stuff like that..
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Morbius
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Morbius »

There's a couple of terrific modules in the DCC range with ideas and inspiration for MA.

Dungeon Crawl Classics #36: Talons of the Horned King

Image and (of course),

Dungeon Crawl Classics #79: Frozen In Time

Both of these adventures are really well worth checking out. I would love to see an adventure that ties in fantasy with MA, so that adventures similar to some of the classic stories from Dragon Magazine might be in reach of everybody :)

Craig J. Brain
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Hey, Craig! Glad to see you found this place! More MA goodness. :D
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Don't forget the old classic : Expedition to the Barrier Peaks!

That Hacklopedia looks pretty good. I'll have to check that out.

If you want to get started on the MA goodness- Gamenerdz has the Android Underlords on Ebay.(along with other Goodman stuff) I ordered mine!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metamorphosis-A ... 5d4b1813c7
Last edited by Blood Axe on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

It would've been awesome of the ship that crashed in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was a Warden ship. :D
OttawaTom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by OttawaTom »

My favourite MA Easter egg was the shout out that appeared in C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. The small silver fish-like statuette with Elven runes that says II-NEDRAW, that will float around and fly away from the PCs.

Seriously missed that the first time around.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

JonHook wrote:It would've been awesome of the ship that crashed in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was a Warden ship. :D
Maybe it was.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

JonHook wrote:It would've been awesome of the ship that crashed in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was a Warden ship. :D
There is a connection. According to Jim Ward, there was a brief period of time when Gary was considering writing MA himself (from Jim's ideas), ultimately deciding to cut Jim loose with it. From Gary Gygax's own take on the material he wrote up the convention tournament module that later became Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” ~ E. Gary Gygax
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by JonHook »

Mad Mage wrote:
There is a connection. According to Jim Ward, there was a brief period of time when Gary was considering writing MA himself (from Jim's ideas), ultimately deciding to cut Jim loose with it. From Gary Gygax's own take on the material he wrote up the convention tournament module that later became Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.
Nice! Of course, if memory serves, isn't the ship in Barrier Peaks much smaller than a full-blown Warden ship? I can't remember how many levels of ship are in the mountain. I used to have that module ages and ages ago. I am currently on a quest to re-collect all of those great modules I had back in the day. :mrgreen:
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

Well my hometown is smaller than the Warden, but the "dungeon" in EttBP is supposed to be a jettisoned section from a larger colonization ship that met with disaster, so...
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by JonHook »

Mad Mage wrote:Well my hometown is smaller than the Warden, but the "dungeon" in EttBP is supposed to be a jettisoned section from a larger colonization ship that met with disaster, so...
I just saw an article Michael Curtis posted in the Metamorphosis Alpha G+ Community that talks about this very subject. So cool! It is/was part of a Warden ship that is buried under the mountain. I love it.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Mr. Hook: he also posted it here... :wink:
michaelcurtis wrote:
Maybe it was.

...welllll, okay -- he linked to it here.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Metamorphosis Alpha”