"Fifth Edition Fantasy" feedback

Discuss our growing line of all-new adventure modules for 5E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

"Fifth Edition Fantasy" feedback

Post by finarvyn »

I've finally had a chance to run the first two "Fifth Edition Fantasy" modules and have joined the kickstart for the next two, and I thought I'd post some thoughts about this Goodman Games product line. I think that Goodman Games has hit on the right formula here: Modules of short size with solid artwork and decent maps with pretty color covers. They are well written and fun to play.

I own all of the WotC 5E modules produced so far, and I really dislike the hardback format. Hoard of the Dragon Queen, for example, ought to have been released as eight separate modules. Or as a boxed set. Either would have been better than a hardback module. Goodman Games seems to have recognized this error. Each module is short and to the point, and can be played in just a couple of sessions. My only "complaint" is that there aren't more of them. :wink:

Anyway, this isn't intended to be a WotC-bash but instead a thumbs-up to Goodman Games for another fine product line. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: "Fifth Edition Fantasy" feedback

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I think they are pretty mediocre. I'm far more satisfied with the current DCC modules, and they are pretty easy to convert to 5e thankfully.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Ravenheart87 wrote:I think they are pretty mediocre. I'm far more satisfied with the current DCC modules, and they are pretty easy to convert to 5e thankfully.
Well, I think I'd use the term "traditional" rather than mediocre, but I agree that they aren't as innovative and vibrant as the newer DCC ones.

Still, I like the format better than those of WotC.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
robocoastie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by robocoastie »

I'm scared. Troll Lord Games seems to be quickly abandoning CnC and rewriting everything for 5e and now with GG doing 5e stuff is it sniffing out DCC? Honestly, asking, its hard enough to get people to play it since it's not an always in print book at distributors. Need we warn people about what WoTC did when 3x was dropped and the support for making products on it with it?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

robocoastie wrote:I'm scared. Troll Lord Games seems to be quickly abandoning CnC and rewriting everything for 5e and now with GG doing 5e stuff is it sniffing out DCC? Honestly, asking, its hard enough to get people to play it since it's not an always in print book at distributors. Need we warn people about what WoTC did when 3x was dropped and the support for making products on it with it?
The whole reason DCC RPG exists is that it's not dependent on another company. It's not going away (the 4th Printing is coming out RIGHT NOW).

That Goodman has 5e modules shouldn't worry you. They also have XCrawl and other stuff either out or out soon, and it's all along side of the DCC RPG. :wink: Not to mention much MORE DCC stuff in the pipeline (Lankhmar, and Journey to the Center of Aerth, to name two).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
robocoastie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by robocoastie »

thanks, that helps. :)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Slight addendum: I forgot that the release of the 4th Printing was pushed back from April til Summer. 8)
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

robocoastie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by robocoastie »

Ok, so then the online store is not accurate or does the order button merely mean like pre-order? I have players interested in it but saw the KickStarter was over. I'm hoping the KickStarter gave funding for a general release as well; I really don't like KS being used as merely a pre-order way.

Thanks for any answer ahead of time.

Rob
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

robocoastie wrote:...I have players interested in it...
Not sure which "it" we're talking about -- but I've never known GG to run a Kickstarter and then not release that product through normal distribution channels...

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Game Kastle

Post by Max_The_Judge »

I should pick up a 5th edition module just to check it out. I'm really unimpressed by 5e. I like that it is simpler than Mathfinder but that's a low bar to meet. Bryce Lynch seems to have a very low opinion of the WotC produced material. I'd like to think the folks at Goodman Games could easily write better modules than WotC.
Korro Zal
Gongfarmer

Post by Korro Zal »

Speaking as someone who plays both DCC and 5E, I think the 5E products put out so far are quite good, and I hope there are more in the works.

5E isn't complicated at all, particularly if you don't use the optional feat rules and use some of the DMG rule variants, such as the no skills option. As much as I like DCC, it is certainly more cumbersome than 5E rules-wise, with all the numerous charts that need to be rolled on during play--I prefer to run games with as little book-referencing as possible. As such, currently I am experimenting with a fusion of the DCC/5E rules, an attempt to combine the flavor of DCC with the more streamlined rules of 5E.

And as for Bryce Lynch, I don't consider his "low opinion" much of a condemnation...I've read his reviews. I was not impressed.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Korro Zal wrote:5E isn't complicated at all, particularly if you don't use the optional feat rules and use some of the DMG rule variants, such as the no skills option.
Honestly I thought the same thing until I had played 5E for a while. The feats are actually pretty minor and the skill list really hit the "sweet spot" of not too many and not too few. Much better than 3E or 4E, IMO.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
sandaleater
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Rogues Gallery, Round Rock TX

Post by sandaleater »

Regarding 5e's feats, they do become a problem once you start hitting that mid-level range. It elevates the PCs to a near-unbeatable status.

Return to “Fifth Edition Fantasy - Adventure Modules”