How well do the Lankhmar adventures work with standard DCC?

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar setting, home to the legendary Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, is the first officially licensed setting for the DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Outsider
Far-Sighted Wanderer

How well do the Lankhmar adventures work with standard DCC?

Post by Outsider »

The focal point of my gaming world is the City State of Heimdel, originally cobbled together by taking pieces of Necromancer Games' 3rd edition Bards Gate and the City State of the Invincible Overlord books.

That said, how well do the Lankhmar adventures work with standard DCC? I was considering picking up a few and plucking them into my home city rather than run a full Nehwon campaign.
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports

Re: How well do the Lankhmar adventures work with standard DCC?

Post by Vort »

I haven't run one outside of Lankhmar, but I'd think they'd work just fine. Setting doesn't really matter as the details are sketchy by design so you could substitute any large city for Lankhmar and any Patrons for those of Newhon. I'm wondering how much of the modules' designs considered the flow of Fleeting Luck and the expected lack of clerics, so maybe you'd have to adjust some encounters. Then again, maybe not. Luck plays a big part in the setting mostly because of the lack of clerics and easy healing; with clerics you might not need as much Luck. But I don't think there's really anything in the modules that rely on the Lankhmar rules as Lankhmar mainly adds rules to Core and doesn't much change them. Or, you could just embrace the setting in its entirety for the full experience! :D There's a lot of fun stuff in the setting that I would even consider using outside Lankhmar, like Fleeting Luck and the Carousing table.
Trevor / Road Crew (Calgary)
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)
Outsider
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Outsider »

Thanks Vort, appreciate the response.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

The adventures work well in standard DCC, no problem. You may need to make minor adjustments and rulings for clerical and nonhuman abilities, but these can probably be done on the fly. As an example, if you run Violence for Votishal, you might need to figure how you wanted to rule Turn Unholy in encounters with the main antagonist (trying to avoid spoilers, just in case).
Terry Olson
Outsider
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Outsider »

Thanks Terry!

BTW, I love Elzemon and the Blood-Drinking Box and am finally going to run it for my group when we can get together again.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Thanks @Outsider! I hope you and your group have a blast with it.
Terry Olson

Return to “DCC Lankhmar”