Ghouls easier to hit?

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar setting, home to the legendary Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, is the first officially licensed setting for the DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

UniversalHead
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Ghouls easier to hit?

Post by UniversalHead »

I'm curious, why are the semi-transparent Newhon ghouls easier to hit (+2) in DCC Lankhmar?
Mat Mobile
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: L'abyss

Re: Ghouls easier to hit?

Post by Mat Mobile »

Where do you get your +2 from?

The only place I see where it can come from is in the location below of the stat block (+3 in this example). If that is indeed what you mean, it's the attack modifier the ghoul has. So you roll your D20, add 2 (the +2) and you have to hit higher than the PCs AC.

Beetle, giant: Init -2; Atk mandibles +3 melee (1d4+2); AC 15; HD 2d8+2; MV 30’ or climb 20’; Act 1d20; SP varies (see below); SV Fort +1, Ref +0, Will -3; AL N.

In no way are they easier to hit. PCs still have to roll over the ghoul's AC.

Please clarify what you meant.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

It's deeper in the stat block. They're harder to hit at range, but easier to hit in melee.

I'm not sure why appearing as a skeleton, but not being a skeleton would make you easier to hit -- unless the concept is "you're aiming for the skeleton, and you might miss the skeleton -- but then hit the invisible flesh", like, a near-miss is still a hit...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

The -2 at range makes sense, but yeah, the +2 melee is odd. Effectively it's AC 14 ranged or AC 10 melee.

I think it would be more DCC to apply -1d to ranged attacks.

Return to “DCC Lankhmar”