On shamans...

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Manakin
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Barnes and noble

On shamans...

Post by Manakin »

Ok ive read the thread *are shamans even playable* im totally confused by this. I know they are spose to get artifacts to balance it out...but um, why play one if you can't shaman. If you follow me here, the whole point of playing one is to be a spell casting shaman and yet..you can almost do squat as one.

Is there some homebrew system somewhere that anyone has made that makes them more fun to play?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: On shamans...

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Manakin wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:28 am Ok ive read the thread *are shamans even playable* im totally confused by this. I know they are spose to get artifacts to balance it out...but um, why play one if you can't shaman. If you follow me here, the whole point of playing one is to be a spell casting shaman and yet..you can almost do squat as one.

Is there some homebrew system somewhere that anyone has made that makes them more fun to play?
Help is coming!

http://dcctreasures.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... eview.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Manakin
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Manakin »

hey that looks great...but still dont answer my burning question...how does one compute the roll need on the patron id bond? i looked into dcc's clerics and it shows a d20+level+personality(i think that was it) is that done the same way here?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Manakin wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 am hey that looks great...but still dont answer my burning question...how does one compute the roll need on the patron id bond? i looked into dcc's clerics and it shows a d20+level+personality(i think that was it) is that done the same way here?
By the core, I don't think there are mods.

But you may wish to give an Int mod bonus, like a DCC wizard.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Manakin
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Manakin »

Core?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Manakin wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:03 pmCore?
The core rulebook itself.
SoBH pbp:

Melfast
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Empire Games

Post by Melfast »

Manakin wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 am hey that looks great...but still dont answer my burning question...how does one compute the roll need on the patron id bond? i looked into dcc's clerics and it shows a d20+level+personality(i think that was it) is that done the same way here?
Hey Manakin

I realize this post is a bit old, but in case you have not found the answer or someone else comes along and sees your question, I wanted to provide an answer:

From p 140 of the MCC Core Rules:

"MAKING A WETWARE PROGRAM CHECK
To run a wetware program, the player of a shaman rolls that character’s action die (most commonly a d20), and adds the caster level (CL), and then adds or subtracts any Intelligence modifiers. The total number rolled is then compared to the results chart for the particular wetware program. For example, to run the program Invoke Patron AI, a 1st-level shaman with an Intelligence of 14 would roll d20+CL1+1 to determine the result of the wetware program casting. A 3rd-level shaman with an Intelligence of 16 would roll d20+CL3+2 to run the same wetware program."

This does not answer your original question of how to play the class, but it does tackle your question on making the Patron AI Bond program check.

Depending on how you see the Shaman going from 0-level to 1st level, you could have the 0-level character use the Patron AI Bond program and then become 1st level. In which case, the 0-level character would use d20+CL0+Int Mod for the program check. I would just let the Shaman run the program as being 1st level - they survive the funnel, become 1st level, learn and use the Patron AI Bond program.

On your question on how to make Shaman more playable, I have posted how I am approaching it in another forum post. If you read it, I'd love your feedback.

Discussion on Playing a Shaman: https://goodman-games.com/forums/viewto ... 84&t=49096
Cleaned up version of the rules I am using for Shaman along with my other MCC House Rules: https://goodman-games.com/forums/viewto ... 84&t=49100

Happy Gaming

Melfast

Edited 8/30/20: If your PDF does not have a discussion of wetware on p 140 (or the Mutant Teleportation power), then you are using the old version of the PDF. The PDF was updated pretty significantly based on Backer feedback. Those updates also made it into the hardback before it was printed. The revised PDF and the hardback make for a complete game with the exception of the Shaman. [I have some quibbles (lack of two- weapon fighting rules even though two-weapon fighting is mentioned in the rules for example), but I think it is completely playable and enjoyable.]

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”