OAR #6 Temple of Elemental Evil: Incorrect Strength (Athletics) checks

Discuss our deluxe versions of classic adventure modules and more, presented in their original edition/format, with updates for 5e or DCC RPG!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Malovech
Ill-Fated Peasant

OAR #6 Temple of Elemental Evil: Incorrect Strength (Athletics) checks

Post by Malovech »

I have been noticing throughout the text in TOEE that any time there's a situation where the party might want to force a door, lift a heavy portcullis or bend bars that it often states Strength (Athletics) instead of just a straight Strength check. Was this done for a reason? Were the doors meant to be easier to bash open? This doesn't seem to follow RAW, but I thought maybe this was on purpose.
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Re: OAR #6 Temple of Elemental Evil: Incorrect Strength (Athletics) checks

Post by CapnZapp »

You will probably be helped in learning that DCC is a game that celebrates rulings not rules.

What that means is: published modules are full of individual choices. One writer might ask for a straight Strength check. Another might opt for Athletics.

When you read DCC modules it's like playing with an individual gamesmaster (Judge), as opposed to everyone focusing on always using the exact same set of rules.

What this boils down to is this: if you want doors to be easier to bash down, use a skill check as opposed to a "straight" ability check. Or lower the DC. Or just say "you succeed". It's your call :)

Cheers
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

For clarity for future readers of this thread, the OAR series does not feature DCC rules -- though many folks wish they did!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

@Malovech: I commend you on your eagle eye. That is the way those skill and ability checks work as RAW. So, technically they should not be Athletics checks. BUT, if the player describes how they are attempting an action, the GM can certainly rule that the proficiency bonus can be added to the check if it makes logical sense. And a PC with Athletics as a skill could convince a GM to use this skill. That is the way I run games at my table, and I suspect others do as well. It rewards thoughtful play and ingenuity, two things I strive for in my games. Although sometimes this turns into comedy as a player tries to stretch his description in the hopes of getting a proficiency bonus added when clearly it would not. Of course it doesn't matter if a "1" was rolled anyway!
Thanks for posting on our forums! I hope you are enjoying ToEE.
Chris (Goodman Games)
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: N/A

Post by Father Goose »

GnomeBoy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:53 am For clarity for future readers of this thread, the OAR series does not feature DCC rules -- though many folks wish they did!
Yes, we do! Maybe someday...

Return to “Original Adventures Reincarnated”