9th Printing

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

beeporama
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Phantom of the Attic

9th Printing

Post by beeporama »

Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to the game; I just finished a level 0 funnel and our group is about to embark on level 1 adventures.

I understand that the 9th printing will include gender neutral pronouns (https://goodman-games.com/blog/2021/11/ ... -printing/). I'd like to get this version of the core rulebook. Is it safe to assume that is what I will get if I purchase from one of these links (I still haven't decided which art I prefer)?:

https://goodman-games.com/store/product ... print-pdf/
https://goodman-games.com/store/product ... ian-cover/

I don't suppose there's a softcover 9th printing, is there?

Thanks in advance.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: 9th Printing

Post by GnomeBoy »

Okay, so the word is that those two hardcovers you've linked are "partially updated" to the new text.

The order for those was placed with the printer while the work was still ongoing. The order for the most recent printing of the softcover version was placed later and has more extensive updates, because that order was placed later, even though they've all come out into release in proximity to each other...

This softcover version may be shipping 9th printings at this point -- you could check with info@ to be sure...

https://goodman-games.com/store/product ... r-edition/
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

GnomeBoy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:17 pm Okay, so the word is that those two hardcovers you've linked are "partially updated" to the new text.

The order for those was placed with the printer while the work was still ongoing. The order for the most recent printing of the softcover version was placed later and has more extensive updates, because that order was placed later, even though they've all come out into release in proximity to each other...
Can I suggest you call the "partially" updated text the 9th printing and the fully updated text the 10th printing?
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Both the softcover and the hardcover were considered part of the same print run. I'm just reporting things that have been said by those who know -- I have no (well, okay, little) facility with time travel to make sure events and decisions will have happened differently!
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

beeporama
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by beeporama »

Thanks for the help. It is confusing, as it indeed appears that "9th printing" is not consistent text. The response I got from info@ is that, as of the moment:

There is not a gender neutral PDF yet.

There is not a gender neutral hardcover yet.

But, the softcover, as ordered here, would be gender neutral language in PRINT: https://goodman-games.com/store/product ... r-edition/

I already have a PDF from a humble bundle; so now I just have to decide whether I want to get a softcover, or wait for a hardcover (and those hardcovers have some cool art) with a new printing, or live with the "he" defaults. Is is usually a year or so between printings? I'll have to think about it...!
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

GnomeBoy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:51 am Both the softcover and the hardcover were considered part of the same print run. I'm just reporting things that have been said by those who know -- I have no (well, okay, little) facility with time travel to make sure events and decisions will have happened differently!
If you have any line of communication towards "those who know" please tell them it is incredibly useless to talk of a "printing" unless it refers to a single unchanging body of text.
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

beeporama wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:03 am Thanks for the help. It is confusing, as it indeed appears that "9th printing" is not consistent text. The response I got from info@ is that, as of the moment:

There is not a gender neutral PDF yet.

There is not a gender neutral hardcover yet.

But, the softcover, as ordered here, would be gender neutral language in PRINT: https://goodman-games.com/store/product ... r-edition/
Just to note that does not necessarily mean there is any confusion.

It can just mean the softcover can be purchased in 9th printing while the PDF and hardcover is still at 8th printing.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yeah, eventually, PDF links on the site and via DriveThru will have the 9th printing PDF -- I'm not totally clear on what the delay is on that... bookmarking, maybe?
CapnZapp wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:11 am It can just mean the softcover can be purchased in 9th printing while the PDF and hardcover is still at 8th printing.
FWIW, the Stefan Poag LE cover is a 9th Printing Hardcover, internally different to the 8th Printing. I assume the same for the Sanjulian with the Foil lettering, as well as the standard "big blue" cover with the foil, which both came along at the same time.

beeporama
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by beeporama »

GnomeBoy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:52 amFWIW, the Stefan Poag LE cover is a 9th Printing Hardcover, internally different to the 8th Printing. I assume the same for the Sanjulian with the Foil lettering, as well as the standard "big blue" cover with the foil, which both came along at the same time.
So those hardcovers are 9th printing, different from the 8th printing, but (per info@) NOT gender neutral. While the softcover is also a 9th printing, but WITH gender neutral language. I hope I'll be forgiven for finding it a little confusing, lacking a clear guide to the printings or specific text in the online store.

Granted, I might be the only one who really cares, but I do!
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

From what I understand, they are partially converted in the text, but I don't know to what degree... The complete conversion appears in the softcover, as I understand it.

Return to “DCC RPG General”