Class/Alignment combo mechanics?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Dionysos
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Class/Alignment combo mechanics?

Post by Dionysos »

Hello all. I have been following all developments regarding the DCC rpg for a couple months now. The game sounds like it is going to be great! I was very sad to have missed it at Dundracon this year.

I have a question. Unless I am quite mistaken (very possible) I seem to think that I read that characters get different abilities as they level up based on their class and alignment. It sounded as if you would get certain bonuses/powers/abilities/whatever if you were, say, a Chaotic Good cleric and different ones if you were a Lawful Evil one. I could have interpreted this incorrectly, as I think I just saw it obliquely referenced a time or two. But it sounds interesting, and a good compromise between those who like lots of classes, and those who prefer a small handful.

So, am I correct in thinking that something like this is in the game? If so, is there anything that can be said about it at this time? Any details/spoilers/etc.? Thanks!
Fullerton
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Class/Alignment combo mechanics?

Post by Fullerton »

At the DunDraCon playtest, there were three "titles" of thieves, or maybe four, with the title being determined by the character's alignment, and each title determining how the thief advances in all of his various abilities. So multiple alignments qualified for each title, and each title was essentially a different kind of thief.

My thief was Chaotic Neutral, which meant he was a Thug. There was also an Assassin (for the Evil alignments, IIRC). I don't remember what the one or two other titles were.

The different kinds of thieves advanced differently in virtually all their abilities: Base attack bonus, crit die size, skill bonuses, and saves. (Again, IIRC.)

I didn't notice any of the other classes varying in this way. Though clerics' healing was based on both the cleric's alignment and the recipient's.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

So far as I know, that sums it up pretty well.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Dionysos
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dionysos »

That is very interesting, thanks for the information. Are we pretty sure that this sort of thing only applies to Thieves? If so, it seems a bit disappointing. I'd love to see some mechanical differences between Lawful and Chaotic mages, for instance.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I want alignment to be "felt" in the game without being a major element...but it should definitely be felt and require more thought than it has in modern years.

The main mechanical difference between a lawful and chaotic mage would be the nature of their supernatural patron. All wizards can have one (or more) supernatural patrons, provided they choose the spell that opens that option. The lawful wizards will obviously be of a different variety than the chaotic ones. The theme of Lords of Chaos and Lords of Law is heavy in the game, and their role as patrons will influence, long-term, how the mages can throw around different abilities based on their patrons.

As for clerics, their alignment determines weapon choice and what they can turn. Clerics can turn unholy creatures, not just un-dead, and the definition of "unholy" is defined by, of course, what their deity considers holy. Yes, your lawful cleric can turn a basilisk...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Dionysos
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dionysos »

Wow, that is just the kind of thing I was hoping for it to be. Awesome!
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

I hope that turning gets a cool effects chart just like spells do. I've never really like how turning undead works in d&d. Too often it makes undead easy to defeat and not as scary as they should be.
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

Dionysos wrote:Wow, that is just the kind of thing I was hoping for it to be. Awesome!
Seconded, I like the way you're thinking :)
Sean Wills
Professor P
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Professor P »

goodmangames wrote:The main mechanical difference between a lawful and chaotic mage would be the nature of their supernatural patron. All wizards can have one (or more) supernatural patrons, provided they choose the spell that opens that option. The lawful wizards will obviously be of a different variety than the chaotic ones. The theme of Lords of Chaos and Lords of Law is heavy in the game, and their role as patrons will influence, long-term, how the mages can throw around different abilities based on their patrons.
How does a mage's patron differ from the cleric's deity? For example, how does the relationship between the mage and his patron differ than the cleric and his deity? Does the mage only deal with the patron after casting the particular patron spell? Does the patron play a role in the other spells a mage can obtain? Can a lawful mage not cast 'chaotic' spells and vice versa? Finally, can a mage's patron and a cleric's deity be one in the same or is there no crossover?

I ask because this sounds very interesting and I'd like to get a better idea on your thoughts. Thanks.
Beedo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Beedo »

goodmangames wrote:As for clerics, their alignment determines weapon choice and what they can turn. Clerics can turn unholy creatures, not just un-dead, and the definition of "unholy" is defined by, of course, what their deity considers holy. Yes, your lawful cleric can turn a basilisk...
Can elves and faeries be turned by clerics? :mrgreen:

You know, seeing as the source fiction doesn't have clerics turning undead, but they do turn faeries. Just saying.
Skullking
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Skullking »

What about evil clerics and undead - can mad cultists create/control undead in DCCRPG?
"Promise your soul to Orcus, for through him you will live forever. Eat of his tainted flesh and drink of his fiendish blood, and you will know eternal unlife."
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

Beedo wrote:
goodmangames wrote:As for clerics, their alignment determines weapon choice and what they can turn. Clerics can turn unholy creatures, not just un-dead, and the definition of "unholy" is defined by, of course, what their deity considers holy. Yes, your lawful cleric can turn a basilisk...
Can elves and faeries be turned by clerics? :mrgreen:

You know, seeing as the source fiction doesn't have clerics turning undead, but they do turn faeries. Just saying.
Elves and faeries are definitely 'unholy' in The Broken Sword , being soulless and afeared of the Human's God.

So folks, should a Player Character Elf have a chance of being turned ?
Sean Wills
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Re: Class/Alignment combo mechanics ?.

Post by BanjoJohn »

For clerics, your alignment determine what kinds of monsters are effected by your "Turn Enemy" spell ability. Also, it changes the amount of healing you do to other characters based on their alignment, also it changes the weapons you are proficient in.

For thieves, your alignment and level determine the bonuses you get for doing thief things, like sneaking, picking locks, using poison, forging documents.

For warriors and wizards there is no mechanical effect other than in how much they might be healed by clerics or effected by alignment based spells or magic items.
GnomeBoy

Re: Class/Alignment combo mechanics ?.

Post by GnomeBoy »

Also, characters are very much "front loaded" and have their abilities from Level 1. Gaining more spells for spellcasters is something that happens as you level up, and general improvements happen as everyone levels up, but you've got everything going on from the get-go.

Also also, I too am sad to have not had a DunDraCon to attend this year! It's my favorite con!
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

...The "temporal strangeness" of the last two posts is explained by the fact that a spammer had duplicated the OP in a new post, then after there were some answers had gone back in and junked up their post with spam.

Return to “DCC RPG General”